Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

mbaumser

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:14 pm

How many days before someone from PBASE replies to any of the questions, comments or complaints in this thread? ever?

Marc

cassiar

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:00 pm

[English is not my native language, but let's try... :oops: ]
This thread reminds me of an old one from Slug on October 29, 2008 (PBase is faster now) :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39314

It started optimistic and promising but nothing seem to have changed and of course people started to complain more and more, but Slug never returned. Eight pages and one year later still no feedback from PBase admins or moderators and no improvement or changes.
Look at the "Is Pbase slow again?" topic (67 pages!!) but no feedback from admins. The news-section could be such an easy way to inform the users here and would certainly prevent irritation and anger.
I wonder how many moderators are still active here, after Nooutlet left. Maybe moderators are kept in the dark too and also get no feedback from the admins. The ones who dare to show up in the forum get tons of criticism on their necks because they seem to be the only ones who open themselves to us. No wonder they don't stay.
This thread seems to go the same direction.
What a huge difference with Smugmug where admins use the forum intensively to communicate very closely with the people. I gladly pay more for such a strong and reliable customer service.

The sporadic updates during the downtime were refreshing, but I'm afraid the past troubles, lack of communication and customer service here on PBase made me loose my naivity.
I don't understand what makes it sooo difficult to put some news in the news section of this forum every now and then.
I still hope the admins read the many opinions here and show some responsability and care a little bit, but to be honest, I doubt it (hope I'm wrong).

I am an optimistic person and my hopes survive a very long time. Writing the frustrations down helps temporarily but there is a limit for everyone I guess, especially when the people behind the scenes don't seem to care.
What a pity because this must be one of the best photographic communities in the world, which is the reason that I am not leaving yet :wink:

surfnmoto2

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Thank you, Emily, for the updates. I think most of us appreciate the difficult situation you and Slug have had to deal with. Kudos to you both for the effort, it is much appreciated! :)

dlgphoto

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 pm

When are the statistics going to be fixed? Or are they now? - Mine still do not seem to be working.

erichmangl

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:20 pm

ngruev wrote:The one month free service is not a favor. It is a must.

why ? was pbase down for a month ?

fishit

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:33 am

surfnmoto2 wrote:Thank you, Emily, for the updates. I think most of us appreciate the difficult situation you and Slug have had to deal with. Kudos to you both for the effort, it is much appreciated! :)

I agree and slug too, PBase is a good site, worth the money in my book.
A alt blog or tweet if you want with updates would be helpful to keep people informed.
If you need help with moderators I would think there are qualified volunteers.

ekke

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:30 am

Still am missing some of my galleries. Anyone trying to recover them? Or is it there no hope that they reappear anyway?
Uploads are still agonizingly slow. Really regret that I recently paid for two more years...
Regards, Eckhart

perofsweden

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:32 am

perofsweden wrote:When are the Statistics coming back :?: , I paid an ad on Facebook linking in here for 5 days but can not follow up on hits and visits :( ?
Per!

Please disregard from my earlier comment, I actually read Your information now, and saw that it all will be back, and I will be able to see the stats from this time!
Good Luck with Your hard work, Per!

aspectslink

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:29 pm

I tell you guys, Pbase may not be a 'liveBook', for which you have to forked $3200 just to join,
but it all I got, and it serves me well,
and in the times when we all rely on invisible forces playing havoc with electronics all over,
the way Pbase carried on the fixing is worthy of recommendation.
To those of you who is asking why we wasn't informed earlier,
perhaps the answer lays in question 'what if there was no aces to a database with addresses for a while?'

Flexibility and laid back is the best friend of photographer.

Love,

aspectslink.

sfzjohn

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 pm

I'm glad that PBase is mostly up and functioning. I'm sure it's been a tremendous effort to get back to this point.

My question is, do you have a time estimate that the stats will be restored/enhanced.

John Ford

halesr

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:35 pm

How about pbase having a presence on Facebook? That could be used to tell us what is going on. I belong to a couple of lists that use that method for communications if they are having an email problem. I believe that sending an email to all members would be not the best and quite time consuming. So, how about Facebook. I would certainly join in and FRIEND pbase.--Rene

digitalbcon

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm

halesr wrote:How about pbase having a presence on Facebook? That could be used to tell us what is going on. I belong to a couple of lists that use that method for communications if they are having an email problem. I believe that sending an email to all members would be not the best and quite time consuming. So, how about Facebook. I would certainly join in and FRIEND pbase.--Rene

I like this idea...there are some specialty groups here on Pbase (alphausers) who connect regularly through a yahoo group and I think Facebook would work well for updates or announcements when things aren't working here or at least connecting people here to what's going on. When the forum section wasn't available I thought the whole thing slid off the deep end!

smeredith

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm amazed by all of the thank you posts and posts defending PBase. It's not like this is a free service that someone is providing in their free time. PBase is a business and all of the members are paying for the service. The service is often poor, the communication from those that run the site is poor at best and there has been very little done to improve anything in years. About the only thing PBase has going for it is the price. If one looks at Smugmug or Zenfolio they'll see that PBase has become a second tier site.

Jeffery Friedl, who writes numerous plugins for Lightroom including seven that allow you to directly upload to various sites, has a humorous (I think) reply on his blog to a request for a PBase upload plugin: "Are they still actually used by anyone? Their front page has a 2007 copyright, and their “about” page hasn’t been updated in five years. If they can’t be bothered to update these, I doubt they’ll undertake the work required to create an API that I could have a plugin use to access their service."

At this point I can't imagine renewing my PBase subscription. There would have to be a lot of improvement in a short time period. (And the lack of any follow-up post in this thread sure doesn't seem promising...)

Steve

jmsprophoto

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 pm

When did the forum come back up?

I believe I have been checking every day and this is the first I have had access.

cekari

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Good work PB-team.
As far as I know nothing have been lost for me and just waiting for statistics to come back to, but thats no biggie atm.
:D

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime