News

Social Sharing Buttons

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Social Sharing Buttons

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi All,

We have added social sharing buttons to the bottom of your gallery and image pages alongside the vote and comment links. If you would like to stop seeing the buttons, you can disable them on your account settings page - http://www.pbase.com/account?view=plugins

By default, we turned them on. If we had them off by default, it would take forever for people to realize they could enable them and start using them.

You will see a +1 icon to use Google's +1 - http://www.google.com/+1/button/
There is also a facebook "like" button, which lets you share an image or gallery with others via your facebook wall.
If you are viewing your own images and have the social sharing links turned on, you will also see a "send" button. This will let you send a link to the image/gallery, along with a message, to a mailing list that you specify. We thought this would be useful for letting friends and family know when you have uploaded new photos to PBase.

Enjoy!
-The PBase Team

mardoli

Re: Social Sharing Buttons

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:36 pm

I would have lived happily without those buttons, but I understand that many people like interacting with their social networks in all possible ways.
Luckily it’s possible to disable them.
I hope you won’t add too many other features in future which will make PBase look like a social network with photos, it was not the main purpose, I think.
Thank you for informing us and for what you try to do to please all the members of PBase, it’s never easy to make all happy at once…;^))
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

milindes

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks, this is really awesome. For me the purpose of the site is to share photos, otherwise i would have left them on the hard drive itself. With social networking being the easiest form of sharing information now I am glad to see this site is evolving, albeit slowly, to keep pace with the rest of the net.

mclew

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks, Emily! Just this morning I was thinking about putting another photo on my facebook page and you have made it so much easier to do!
I also appreciate your logic in making the social sharing buttons visible at first and giving us the opportunity to take them off if we don't want them there. The flexibility that PBase provides us for designing and personalizing our photo pages is my favorite feature here.

Margaret Lew

nitroimage

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:06 am

Things are really looking up and getting exciting around here and I'm liking the new "improvements". I'm really happy I have stuck around since 2003! Thanks Emily, Slug, et al!!

Just curious with regards to the the new social sharing buttons, specifically Facebook, if there will be any way of tracking if an individual image or gallery has been "liked"? For example, I can track image/gallery comments in my profile, but so far as I can see yet, there is no way to tell if an image was "liked" unless I go through some of my 8,700 photos daily.

It would be cool to track this in one central spot, like the profile page, just not sure if it's do-able from the programming side.

Definitely keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Blair

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:36 am

nitroimage wrote:Things are really looking up and getting exciting around here and I'm liking the new "improvements". I'm really happy I have stuck around since 2003! Thanks Emily, Slug, et al!!

Just curious with regards to the the new social sharing buttons, specifically Facebook, if there will be any way of tracking if an individual image or gallery has been "liked"? For example, I can track image/gallery comments in my profile, but so far as I can see yet, there is no way to tell if an image was "liked" unless I go through some of my 8,700 photos daily.

It would be cool to track this in one central spot, like the profile page, just not sure if it's do-able from the programming side.

Definitely keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Blair

We figured people would like that information and are working on a solution.
-Emily

reflectionsbyruth

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 am

thanks Emily and Slug, glad you are adding nice editions to Pbase. I think it was a good idea that you left it on because as you said, if it was left off no one would know it exists.
I'm sure if you left it off by default, you'd have those complaining why it wasn't left on for default :roll:
Keep up the good work.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:41 am

reflectionsbyruth wrote:I'm sure if you left it off by default, you'd have those complaining why it wasn't left on for default :roll:
Keep up the good work.

Exactly.

Hey, Emily...any chance of allowing us to use Arjun's Pbgrab anytime in the future?

nitroimage

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:16 am

emily wrote:We figured people would like that information and are working on a solution.
-Emily

Most excellent, thanks for the prompt reply Emily!

imorozoff

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:53 am

Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious, but all I see is the +1 share button, and not a FB like button.
Am I missing something?
My account has the plugin enabled.

Thank you.

imorozoff

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:27 am

This should be the image in my previous post.

vogelzang

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:25 am

imorozoff wrote:Perhaps I'm overlooking the obvious, but all I see is the +1 share button, and not a FB like button.
Am I missing something?
My account has the plugin enabled.

Thank you.

Hi,
you're not using Firefox with the Ghostery add-in installed and blocking Facebook-connect?

k

imorozoff

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Interestingly enough, this is only with IE8 and is reproducalbe on on three different computers - all are Win7 64-bit.

If I use Mozilla Firefox, I *do* see the FB Like and FB Send buttons.

toondesmit

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:01 pm

I am not sure yet whether to use it or not.
One question though. Is it possible to have the bottoms in the same color as my background colors?
Regards, Toon

oochappan

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:08 pm

why not including this sharing buttons in the edit page ? less poluting the layout of each member

Next

Board index PBase News Social Sharing Buttons