Board index PBase News Social Sharing Buttons

News

Social Sharing Buttons

outland

Re: Social Sharing Buttons

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:48 pm

When I try the facebook like button, a pop up opens to log on to facebook. After logging on, an apparently endless loop starts where a second pop up is opened then disappears followed by a third, then a fourth, then a fifth, and so on. To get it to stop, I have to navigate away from the picture page.

I am using firefox 5.0 on Ubuntu Linux.

oochappan

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:16 pm

imorozoff wrote:Update: It appears that the option is working correctly now.

It is not working correctly !!!
when another member has the 'option on' and goes to a member with the 'option off',
still the 'option on' member overides the 'option off' of any other member,
he sees the sharing buttons on the 'option off' member overiding his settings.

moxfactor

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:36 pm

oochappan wrote:
imorozoff wrote:Update: It appears that the option is working correctly now.

It is not working correctly !!!
when another member has the 'option on' and goes to a member with the 'option off',
still the 'option on' member overides the 'option off' of any other member,
he sees the sharing buttons on the 'option off' member overiding his settings.

might be an obvious reply, but have you tried clearing your cookies, and restarting the browser/refreshing via ctrl-f5 to try again?

mardoli

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:18 pm

moxfactor wrote:
might be an obvious reply, but have you tried clearing your cookies, and restarting the browser/refreshing via ctrl-f5 to try again?

You were right to suggest also this option, but it doesn’t solve anything.
Even though I disabled the annoying and ugly social button from my profile page, they are still visible in my pages for all the visitors who didn’t disable that option.
It means, as others rightly stressed that others’ settings influence mine.
This is what disturbs me.
I have nothing to object if other people like them and choose to fill their pages with those social buttons, when I browse their pages to enjoy their photos I accept to see the buttons as well.
I’d like my settings could be valid for the appearance of my own galleries for all visitors too.
I have tried to see my pages with FF being logged in my mother’s account where for the test she enabled temporarily the buttons and it’s even worse there is also a specific button of Facebook which invites me to log in, even though I have not any Facebook account. Of course if I disable the option I don’t see them anymore, but I don’t want anyone to see them visiting my galleries.
Any idea?
Thank you.
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

mardoli

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am

I think I have found the way to make the social buttons disappear.
If you are interested check this post in the forum CSS/HTLM

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45703

Best
Marisa
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

rsbfotos

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:09 pm

That's not really at all helpful to those who don't know anything about CSS, but who also don't like the fb buttons.

I'll say this; IMO as far as fiascos go, this is so typical of pbase.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

mardoli

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:32 pm

10kzoomfz wrote:That's not really at all helpful to those who don't know anything about CSS, but who also don't like the fb buttons.

I'll say this; IMO as far as fiascos go, this is so typical of pbase.

I know…I have written to PBase-help asking them to check the problem described in the above topics. I didn’t get any answer yet, so all what I could do in the meanwhile was at least to offer a partial solution.
As for people who don’t know anything about CSS, but want to get rid of the social buttons, I’m ready to help them personally, adapting their CSS, if they like.
There is nothing else I can do, but we try to help each other.
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

vogelzang

Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:04 am

Hi,
my email address on PBase is different from the one I use on Facebook. Does that matter in case of Likes?

thanks,

Kasper

earl12949

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:33 am

I am not seeing the FB sharing button under my picture, only the +1 by goggle. The button is checked on the plug-in page.
Does anyone know why?
Thanks

earl12949

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 am

The FB buttons appear on my pbase accounts on the iphone and ipads, but on the PC they are not there, only the +1 button that refers to goggle! The box on the dashboard plugin is checked? Does anyone else have this problem? Can it be fixed, or is it error in there code?

imorozoff

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:32 am

earl12949 wrote:The FB buttons appear on my pbase accounts on the iphone and ipads, but on the PC they are not there, only the +1 button that refers to goggle! The box on the dashboard plugin is checked? Does anyone else have this problem? Can it be fixed, or is it error in there code?

Yes, I also had this in IE, but in Mozilla it displayed fine.
I did not get a reply or even an acknowledgement from Pbase staff.
I've since added the bit of code to my CSS to remove these buttons from all my galleries and pages.

mardoli

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:22 am

mardoli wrote:
emily wrote:Hi All,

We have added social sharing buttons to the bottom of your gallery and image pages alongside the vote and comment links. If you would like to stop seeing the buttons, you can disable them on your account settings page - http://www.pbase.com/account?view=plugins

By default, we turned them on. If we had them off by default, it would take forever for people to realize they could enable them and start using them.

Hello Emily,
I don’t want to be polemic or to put in discussion what many other PBase members like.
Personally I dislike those Facebook-like buttons and I have immediately disabled them from my profile page option, but if a visitor has not chosen to disable that option, when they visit my galleries they still see the buttons in question in my pages, even though I have disabled the option.
I’d like having the freedom to decide what people can see in my own galleries, those buttons in my personal opinions are useless for me and aesthetically they don’t match my style-sheets.
I accept that, if I visit the pages of a person who has decided to select that option and to enable the buttons, I see them on their pages, but reciprocally I’d like have the same possibility to make them invisible in all my pages for my visitors.
What is the meaning to disable that option for buttons in my galleries if others keep on seeing them according to their own settings???
Thank you for your help
Best
Marisa

I'm still waiting for an answer from Emily. The little problem is still there. I could change something in my CSS to make those buttons invisible, but it works only in FF and in IE only for certain galleries.
I do think it would be easier if PBase management fixing that bugs related with our choice to disable the visibility of these buttons.
Thanks in advance
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Everybody,

We have changed the social sharing section of image and gallery pages to show a "share" link instead of the Google+ and facebook buttons. Since "share" is a link (not a button), your stylesheet will treat it the same as it does the vote, comment, etc. links in that section. The buttons, which some find to be aesthetically unpleasant, will not be displayed until the share link is clicked. Clicking the share link again will hide the buttons.

The image/gallery owner's social sharing setting now overrides the visitor's setting. So, if you have social sharing turned off and I have it turned on, you will see the "share" link on my pages, but I will not see the "share" link on your pages.

We also fixed some of the browser compatibility issues with the buttons. It should be good in Safari, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and IE8+.

-Emily

highman

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi,

When I use FB like button, and see the message on FB page - the thumbnail which goes with the like message is black. How can I fix it?

Kind Regards,

Wojciech

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Wojciech,

Could the image be non-public? Can you let me know what image/gallery you are trying to like? I will take a look at it and see what I can find.

-Emily

Previous

Board index PBase News Social Sharing Buttons