Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management

News

Dashboard and Comment Management

1hrb4dsun

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 am

I'm new to Pbase, and I liked the old style - fast uploading, and a simple design that worked well.

Now you have changed it for 'the better'. I'm an old dog and I don't want to learn new tricks.

Thanks for consulting with the Pbase members before you decided we had to have these changes.
Not to worry, I won't complain further, only 11 months more left on my membership.

eldarrio

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:14 pm

It doesn't look appealing at all. The old page with profile was much better, this dashboard looks awkward and totally pointless. Now I have to go to profile page through galleries. Please, switch back to old arrangements

sbbish

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:01 pm

eldarrio wrote:It doesn't look appealing at all. The old page with profile was much better, this dashboard looks awkward and totally pointless. Now I have to go to profile page through galleries. Please, switch back to old arrangements

Why do you have to go to the Profile page through Galleries? From the Dashboard, just click the the Profile link on the left to go directly to your Profile page. Or, if you have set a Profile Page Portrait, you can just click your profile image that also shows up on the Dashboard and it will take you directly to your Profile page. Or create a bookmark that takes you to your Profile page. But you don't have to go through Galleries.

Scott

mikelong

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 am

Does the dashboard affect your galleries or profile page in any way? No. Does the dashboard get seen by anyone but you? No.
So what is the BIG DEAL with the dashboard besides the fact that "you don't like it"?

If it's really such a BIG DEAL then simply delete your account, reload all your galleries to Smugmug or Flickr or some other
lame-o site where you'll also have no choice in what new features are implemented.

The problems of the world must be really insignificant when one extra mouse click becomes a major issue.

oochappan

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:10 am

mikelong wrote: when one extra mouse click becomes a major issue.

Indeed , why even write anything about the dashboard,
the forum is not seen or read by the administrators,
home still leads to profile on some pages, who cares ?

andrys

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:26 am

emily wrote:As requested, we have added a link to your recent galleries on the dashboard. In the side navigation section, you can click My Galleries to get to your root gallery, or (recent) to get to your recent galleries.

Enjoy!
-Emily

Emily,
I'm one of those who wrote to you here to tell you I like the changes and why, and I asked for one thing if you could do it. You haven't replied to it but you have a lot on your plate, obviously.

My request had to do with your NOT "underlining" a link to make it more obvious, instead leaving them non-underlined and looking more "cool" which leads to people not realizing they're links. Many major sites still underline important links because they know this, and to them an actual clickthrough (and the customer's ease with finding the link) is more important than looking modern and cool.

Then I saw this post about 'recent' being available to us -- that it was a separate choice and could be seen where we see Galleries.

I figured it wasn't activated on mine. Today, again I looked and again I missed it. Why? Because it looks *parenthetical" to "My Galleries! Why not be clear it's a *separate option* ???

I finally figured it out just now. Color me slow. But I'm not. It has to do with expectations.

AT LEAST, make your links a separate color if coolness is the overriding factor and the underlines look "old-fashioned"...

Links and plain text look the same on mine on this dashboard page. I had never ever clicked on "(recent)" -- the noncapitalized 'r' makes it look even more *parenthetical and descriptive* of "My Galleries" - It looks small and inconsequential, just as if it were some sort of "aside" which is what things in parenthesis are usually meant to be.

Make them equal and then people won't miss them. Make the link "Recent" on the same level -- NO parenthesis!

Same with Dashboard. One goes to the Dashboard, and the other, --seeming parenthetical or explanatory, which it's not -- goes to Settings.

Make them "Dashboard" and "Settings" instead of "(settings)" "Gallery" and "Recent" ...

Links should at least have color changes. They're both gray-black on mine. They look the same. They don't even look like links or different from other text on the page.

As I said, I like the changes otherwise, but please help us out when people are telling you, they feel they don't think they see the changes you've made.

Thanks.

leelafont

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 am

Personally, I don't care a whit about the Dashboard. It is a step back and it serves no purpose and it wastes a small amount of my time; but generally it doesn't make a bit of difference. It's a slight nuisence--like a gnat or some other small, pesty thing. What really sends my off, however, is this damn 'Dashboard and Comment Management' page!!! It's only purpose is it have us--the Pbase customers--tell Pbase how wonderful this thing is, and how much we love it and just can't imagine how we ever got along without it. Horseshit!!! I hate getting anything handed to me and told 'it's good for you--you'll like it'--especially when it's a step backward. The whole thing sucks and we've been taken advantage of all for some, as yet unknown, Pbase corporate purpose. A purpose which I (as do others) see as a precurser to some darker Pbase future. Goodnight all.

paninic

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:01 am

No problem for me Emily. I like Pbase with or without dashboard.

jdrpc

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:27 pm

I do NOT like it!
How can I return to the original!
How can you try to destroy what was not so bad?

mikelong

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Have at it, pbase. Maybe it's fun to develop and launch, even if it's useless. Doesn't bother me a bit.

ohadr

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:28 am

looks good! every change is welcome :-)

knobby

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Ummm dumb question probably, but how do I see this new dashboard?

sherwoodf

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:03 am

I used the Dashboard for the first time to update a gallery and found it easy and smooth.

lightningcatcher07

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks! I lke how it looks! It is so hard to compets with other sites, even Facebook!

claeson

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am

I still think green would be great! :mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management