News

Keyboard Shortcuts

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello Everybody,

We have added keyboard shortcuts (left and right arrows) for moving to previous / next page of a gallery and for moving to previous / next image within a gallery. This should make browsing a little easier and faster for you.

If you are viewing a large image that is wider than your window, the arrow keys will not move to the next page since the normal browser behavior is for arrow keys to scroll, and we didn't want to override that.

We have tested this with many different browsers, but if you have any problems, please let us know your operating system and browser, including version number.

Thanks,
Emily

thh

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:48 am

This is truly a great addition, thanks.

With Firefox I noted though an issue past last image or before 1st image:
Pbase displays than empty page with the URL http://www.pbase.com/user_name/image/undefined
in a different style than the one used by the gallery. And upon further left/right arrow on while on this URL,
Pbase repeats the same URL but each time with a different CSS style.

Thomas

ac

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:42 am

Good idea Emily. Thank you.
But when using the arrows while editing a comment, you jump out of the image.

rsbfotos

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:53 pm

W7 Home Premium, ver. 6.1 (Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
IE 8 ver. 8.0.7601.17514

Emily, sorry but the new function does not work on my system above. The Left and Right Arrow keys do not work as you describe. They do nothing.

The up and down arrow keys scroll the "Page" up and down, but that works on any site page, as a browser function.

(Alt)+Left and Right Arrow keys will scroll back and forth on images, gallery and other site pages I have already viewed, after using the "previous/next" or mouse function. This also is a browser function.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:17 pm

thh wrote:With Firefox I noted though an issue past last image or before 1st image:
Pbase displays than empty page with the URL http://www.pbase.com/user_name/image/undefined
in a different style than the one used by the gallery. And upon further left/right arrow on while on this URL,
Pbase repeats the same URL but each time with a different CSS style.

Thomas

Fixed this.

ac wrote:Good idea Emily. Thank you.
But when using the arrows while editing a comment, you jump out of the image.

Fixed this.

10kzoomfz wrote:W7 Home Premium, ver. 6.1 (Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
IE 8 ver. 8.0.7601.17514

Emily, sorry but the new function does not work on my system above. The Left and Right Arrow keys do not work as you describe. They do nothing.

The up and down arrow keys scroll the "Page" up and down, but that works on any site page, as a browser function.

(Alt)+Left and Right Arrow keys will scroll back and forth on images, gallery and other site pages I have already viewed, after using the "previous/next" or mouse function. This also is a browser function.

We will be investigating this one.

Thanks,
Emily

heez10

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:51 am

Works great for me! I had waiting for this feature, thank you Emily!!!

madlights

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:33 am

Thanks PBase, makes navigation quite a lot easier. No big deal, but am getting the no URL thing at the end of galleries, XP, Chrome 21.0.1180.79 m. It's easy enough to work around until you guys get it figured out. Thanks again!

ac

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:43 am

"Good idea Emily. Thank you.
But when using the arrows while editing a comment, you jump out of the image."

Not yet working.
Using Vista 16bits and Chrome 21

andrys

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:46 pm

emily wrote:Hello Everybody,

We have added keyboard shortcuts (left and right arrows) for moving to previous / next page of a gallery and for moving to previous / next image within a gallery. This should make browsing a little easier and faster for you.

If you are viewing a large image that is wider than your window, the arrow keys will not move to the next page since the normal browser behavior is for arrow keys to scroll, and we didn't want to override that.

We have tested this with many different browsers, but if you have any problems, please let us know your operating system and browser, including version number.

Thanks,
Emily

Emily, I love this capability. Thanks for this.

On my Chrome browser (haven't tried it on Firefox yet) and a large screen, it works well but I do see what's been reported,
in that if you try to go beyond the last image in a gallery, you get alternating error message pages about there being no such URL and you get them in varying fonts, font sizes and colorful backgrounds -- and a couple of other unexpected items:

1. If you're at the main gallery screen and you do a right arrow or left arrow, you get an "Unknown Account" page.

Would it work to check for first and last image in a gallery?

2. The arrow keys that switch to a new arrow do something that makes a startling white flash as if an entire image goes to white first. It didn't happen with the labeled Previous/Next choices though (until you apparently disabled the new left/right-arrow change as they're not functioning right now). Now the white flashes occur on SOME of the labeled option clicks too.

I do like that you plan to leave in the ability to scroll across an image if the display is too small for it.

So many things to look out for. Good luck on this and thanks for the work.

(PS I've seen some PgDns in the last couple of days, in boxes, that seem to sometimes have us exit the boxes. )

andrys

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:52 pm

andrys wrote:
Emily, I love this capability. Thanks for this.

On my Chrome browser (haven't tried it on Firefox yet) and a large screen, it works well but I do see what's been reported,
in that if you try to go beyond the last image in a gallery, you get alternating error message pages about there being no such URL and you get them in varying fonts, font sizes and colorful backgrounds -- and a couple of other unexpected items:

1. If you're at the main gallery screen and you do a right arrow or left arrow, you get an "Unknown Account" page.

Would it work to check for first and last image in a gallery?

2. The arrow keys that switch to a new arrow do something that makes a startling white flash as if an entire image goes to white first. It didn't happen with the labeled Previous/Next choices though (until you apparently disabled the new left/right-arrow change as they're not functioning right now). Now the white flashes occur on SOME of the labeled option clicks too.

[ We can't edit our posts in this topic but I wanted to say "...The arrow keys that switch to a new IMAGE" was meant.]

I do like that you plan to leave in the ability to scroll across an image if the display is too small for it.

So many things to look out for. Good luck on this and thanks for the work.

(PS I've seen some up/downarrows and PgDns in the last couple of days, in boxes, that seem to sometimes do unexpected things.)

andrys

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 pm

emily wrote:Hello Everybody,

Thanks,
Emily

I forgot to say I'm on Windows XP (SP3) with Chrome (latest version -- 21.0.1180.79 m).

ALSO, I see that the left-right arrows weren't disabled -- it's just that if there are pretty good margins on the sides of the image, it will still interpret it as a display too small for the image. I pulled the window wider and the left and right arrows worked again. This is only on galleries in which I'm using 1024 pixels wide in the Originals.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:01 pm

If pressing the left arrow on the first image of a gallery still takes you to an unknown image, try shift + refresh the page. Your browser may have cached the old version before the fix. If that doesn't help, let us know.

Thanks,
Emily

andrys

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Emily,
Exactly what you said. I refreshed the main gallery page, the first and last images, and no more "Unknown" anything.

Many thanks!

mccartney

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 am

Sorry Emily, but this does not work for my Windows XP SP3 with IE 8.
However, the feature does function correctly with Firefox.
Barry McCartney Photography - http://www.pbase.com/mccartney

ac

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 am

"Good idea Emily. Thank you.
But when using the arrows while editing a comment, you jump out of the page."

Vista64bits, Chrome21

Next

Board index PBase News Keyboard Shortcuts