Board index PBase News new search engine

News

new search engine

keiththomson

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:44 pm

My perception of the keyword problem is that if you have more than one keyword, it will not get picked up correctly.

eg. this image (keyword value "Cornwall")
http://www.pbase.com/image/23322465
is found by the image search

but this image (which has keyword value "Scotland, Forth, Bridge, Railway")
http://www.pbase.com/image/27958638
is not found by a search for "Forth"

Anyway i imagine its a relatively easy fix so i'll assume it will come along sometime :)

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:34 pm

turned out that particular image wasn't indexed at all.
i forced the indexer to process that image and then it shows up fine if you search for "forth bridge"

i'm unsure why it was not indexed and am trying to figure that out now.

thanks,
-slug

kstuebin

I still don't see..

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:32 pm

..why keywords have any significance since it's ranking first by title and then by caption.

Don't take my word for it. Type "dogs" into the search engine.

erichmangl

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:11 am

slug wrote:
i'm unsure why it was not indexed and am trying to figure that out now.

-slug

maybe because he wrote Forth, ?

i thought gallery-title is included in the search ? but my "hungary" gallery does not show up

erichmangl

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:14 am

erichmangl wrote:but my "hungary" gallery does not show up

hmm - can it be that it is not in the index because i changed the title of the gallery lately ?
earlier the gallery was titled "Sopron", i changed that to "Hungary" - you still find the gallery when you enter "sopron", but not as "hungary"

jim_panzee

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:25 pm

Bloody hell some people are never satisfied, have you any idea how long it took to compile the encyclopedia Britannica. I think you have done a great job Slug, thanks.

ImagePs. Put the check in the post.

erichmangl

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:00 pm

jim_panzee wrote:Bloody hell some people are never satisfied blablayaddayadda

it's not a question of "being satisfied" or not, i guess slug knows well enough that i am not complaining and that i appreciate all his work a lot - but only if you tell him what's wrong he can get rid of bugs

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:16 pm

erichmangl wrote:
erichmangl wrote:but my "hungary" gallery does not show up

hmm - can it be that it is not in the index because i changed the title of the gallery lately ?
earlier the gallery was titled "Sopron", i changed that to "Hungary" - you still find the gallery when you enter "sopron", but not as "hungary"

it shows up for "hungary" to me. the gallery's title is "Hungary"
it also shows up for "sopron" since the name of the gallery is "sopron"

if you weren't seeing it for "hungary" it probably wasn't updated yet.
for performance reasons, search results are cached for 24hours. so it could take as much as 24 hours for updates to appear in the search results.

-slug

erichmangl

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:06 pm

hmm ... now that´s strange, it does not show to me what you see - i get 78 galleries for "hungary" but not mine (i can live without it, don´t worry, it´s only a matter of working or not-working)

erich

erichmangl

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:08 pm

sigh .......... my eyes .... i just checked again and now i know why i did missed it: "41 to 50" shows only 9 thumbnails and i thought search is over (did not read the numbers)

sorry, slug :-)

goislands

Very fast!

Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:24 pm

The technical solution with a separate DB is really impressive!
The search is fast and it appears to be quite clever.

Thanks,
Thomas

abysmo6

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:14 pm

It seems today I can't access the search option.

Is it a local or global problem ?

regards

ilanphoto

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:57 pm

abysmo6 wrote:It seems today I can't access the search option.

Is it a local or global problem ?

regards

Works fine for me :D
So it could be local

matiasasun

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:43 pm

abysmo6 wrote:It seems today I can't access the search option.Is it a local or global problem ?

Maybe it is not just you. I did have the same problem last week. I did tested it in several computer conected to several diferent networks and could not acces "search". I tought it was only me, because everybody here was writing about the searchs they have made and I forgot, by as I see it there could be a problem (wich I don´t understand).

Wait untill tomorrow like I did and see what happens.
Matias, Chile, SouthAmerica
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

juliano

Re: new search engine

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:46 pm

slug wrote:hi.
the new search engine is online at http://search.pbase.com/search

it is still very much in development, but it should be an improvement over the old search engine.

the most obvious and probably useful change will be that galleries are now indexed. not just images.
usernames, and fullnames are indexed to point to your root gallery.

unobvious but important changes to the internal workings.
the search engine is now running on its own separate database so there should be no performance issues from it affecting the rest of the site.

while it won't be updating for the next two weeks, after that, the new design should provide for fast updates to the index, and faster queries.

you won't see any changes to it for the next two weeks, but the next steps are to improve the user interface which is now very crude, and then there will be an ongoing project to improve the results.
the current ordering of images and galleries is very simplistic and does not factor in various data that could help. it's not too bad though.

as with most common areas of PBase, the images and galleries displayed are those in public, non-passworded galleries from paid accounts.

-slug
:o :o

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News new search engine