Board index PBase News new feature: Delete Image Button on Edit Image Page

News

new feature: Delete Image Button on Edit Image Page

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

new feature: Delete Image Button on Edit Image Page

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:35 am

We added a Delete Image button to the edit image page.
Clicking this button will delete the image from all galleries.

Enjoy! (but not too much) :wink:

-Emily
emily@pbase.com

arjunrc

Re: new feature: Delete Image Button on Edit Image Page

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:51 pm

emily wrote:We added a Delete Image button to the edit image page.
Clicking this button will delete the image from all galleries.

Enjoy! (but not too much) :wink:

-Emily
emily@pbase.com

Emily, I have not tested it yet - but based on your description, would it be possible for you to add an option that deletes from only the current gallery vs. all galleries ? I am sure many people (including me) would not want to delete the image from all galleries all the time.

regds
arjun

srijith

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:06 pm

arjunrc wrote:Emily, I have not tested it yet - but based on your description, would it be possible for you to add an option that deletes from only the current gallery vs. all galleries ? I am sure many people (including me) would not want to delete the image from all galleries all the time.

regds
arjun

Can't you do that as you do it now.. go to the edit page of the gallery, select the images to be removed from that gallery alone and click on "Remove Selected Items"?

arjunrc

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:32 pm

srijith wrote:
arjunrc wrote:Emily, I have not tested it yet - but based on your description, would it be possible for you to add an option that deletes from only the current gallery vs. all galleries ? I am sure many people (including me) would not want to delete the image from all galleries all the time.

regds
arjun

Can't you do that as you do it now.. go to the edit page of the gallery, select the images to be removed from that gallery alone and click on "Remove Selected Items"?

Yes you can. However, its not very intuitive. When I look at an image, I want to delete that image. In the existing mechanism, I need to step back to the gallery and delete it.

Now that emily has added a new button to the image page, having it behave different from the gallery delete button for an image makes it a confusing form factor.

regds
arjun

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:24 pm

i believe that most people who click a Delete Image button on the edit image page will want that image deleted.

maybe we'll put a warning note there.

arjunrc

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:15 pm

slug wrote:i believe that most people who click a Delete Image button on the edit image page will want that image deleted.

maybe we'll put a warning note there.

Yes, they would want it deleted - I am just not sure about the assumption that they want it deleted from _all_ galleries. This is no different from placing it in galleries. Therefore, I am unconvinced why a delete button at the gallery level implies delete from this gallery and a delete button at the image level implies remove from all galleries. (After all, image level is a subset of gallery level, and its a little odd to have global privileges at a subset level)

It would be ideal if you added a radio button along with the delete button that specified the scope explicity.

Just my 2c.

regds
arjun

srijith

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:12 am

slug wrote:maybe we'll put a warning note there.

Slug, you better do that soon. People have started to delete their master copies accidently! You were right, Arjun.

arjunrc

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:17 pm

srijith wrote:
slug wrote:maybe we'll put a warning note there.

Slug, you better do that soon. People have started to delete their master copies accidently! You were right, Arjun.

Ah, yes that is an expected danger. I would suggest that adding a warning would be very ineffective. When people want to delete, they click more and read less ;-) The right way (imho) is to actually specify an option that defaults to "delete only in this gallery" and the user can click on a radio button (or drop list) to select "delete this image from all galleries".

Again, its much more often that the former would be needed than the latter. And if the latter is needed, a 2 step process helps avoid disasters.

regds
arjun

matiasasun

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:50 pm

I have to agree with Arjun here. Me and another user did experience that problem. I´ve learn my lesson but I´m sure this will happen again to another users.

Matias, Chile
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

matiasasun

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:23 pm

Just noted the change. Thanks.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

goislands

Advace to "next" after a delete

Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:10 pm

Would it be possible to advance to "next" (or "Previous" if last image was deleted) instead of showing an empty page with "back to gallery" link? I found it very inconvenient to each time identify and scroll back to the place where the deleted image was and to select the next image.

By the by: Could we see a larger image on the "Edit Image" page? The thumbnail is often not enough to identify all details on the image. Usually while working on the caption, I have two browsers open: On one I see the image in "large" or "original" and on the other browser I edit the caption.

Board index PBase News new feature: Delete Image Button on Edit Image Page