Board index PBase Questions and Answers Where did the hits come from?

Questions and Answers

Where did the hits come from?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
bowman1

Where did the hits come from?

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:52 pm

My daily hit count averages somewhere around 200 to 300 hits a day. On Friday though, I managed to have 9700. That's more than a month's worth in less than a day! Where in the world did they come from? Is there any way to see what site these referrals came from? If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

-Tim

djwixx

Re: Where did the hits come from?

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:16 pm

I had one picture that suddenly got 250 hits in a day and it turned out to be a referral from stumbleupon.com for whatever reason!

Sign up for Google Analytics. If you check your pbase profile plugins there's an option to add the code for Google Analytics. Another option is statcounter, which will do the same but the free account won't collect anywhere near as much data ass Google Analytics. Once you're setup you can view visits, referrals etc. The data will only be collected after you're setup so there's no way to look back and figure out where all those visits came from. Pbase doesn't keep (or doesn't publish) where each visit came from.

gsansoucie

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:17 pm

You didn't put 'Nude' in the keywords did you? ;-)

A few years back there were a few of us that tried that on average pics of rocks or something to that effect and got high hit counts. . .

djwixx

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:37 pm

gsansoucie wrote:You didn't put 'Nude' in the keywords did you? ;-)

A few years back there were a few of us that tried that on average pics of rocks or something to that effect and got high hit counts. . .

I'm guessing it's the Girls With Guns :D

akmc_in_au

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:29 pm

djwixx wrote:I had one picture that suddenly got 250 hits in a day and it turned out to be a referral from stumbleupon.com for whatever reason!

Sign up for Google Analytics. If you check your pbase profile plugins there's an option to add the code for Google Analytics. Another option is statcounter, which will do the same but the free account won't collect anywhere near as much data as Google Analytics.

My experience was the other way around, at least in terms of USEFUL data.

I was originally using Google Analytics (I still am I guess, since I haven't taken the code off my galleries though I seldom look at it these days) but the fact that it didn't track individual visitors annoyed the blat out of me. What I like about StatCounter is that I can see the full path that a visitor took (including the link that they came from) which gives me a better idea of which images appealed to them. The down side of StatCounter is that (as you indicate) the free account only tracks the last 500 entries in detail. It tracks overall totals, but only in a highly summarised form (though you can pay for a higher number of full log entries), while Google Analytics has no such restrictions.

Even so, Google Analytics may tell me that way back on the 2xth of April 200y I had 3 visitors and 15 page hits (alas, this is an all too plausible statistic for me :oops: ), but it gives me no way of knowing whether all 3 of them looked at 5 pages each, or whether two of them looked at a single page and went "Meh, next" while the 3rd one looked at 13 pages. Or, in the latter case, what the 3rd one was looking at when s/he decided to scan through the other 12 images.

bclaypole

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Something is definitely up - I got 29,000 hits yesterday! Wish it were true but alas, I'm not deserving of that amount of traffic.
Besides, one of my new galleries (today) had 60 hits, including 40 that were from before I posted the gallery http://www.pbase.com/bclaypole/code_blue

stetsa

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:37 pm

http://www.pbase.com/stetsa/1000_clicks_mille_grazie_

Very timely topic. For a while now I have been musing with pbase-friends about the fact, how it could be that the three images
shown in the above gallery gaining every day 12 (give or take) clicks, steadily. No comment ever. None of my other images come even
close. Two of the images are "linked". The image with the most "clicks" is not. One friend has the same experience - his picture shows a
nice young girl (fully dressed) with a fishing pole. Something is fishy indeed. Would really love to find out, where the glitch is. Maybe slug
could enlighten us about the stats-department? Thank you for bringing up the issue again. :?

yabba

Post Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Checked my hit count this morning and found it way off what I usually see. I hit over 11, 000.

peterkwok

Post Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:55 pm

yabba wrote:Checked my hit count this morning and found it way off what I usually see. I hit over 11, 000.

It is probably a search engine bot winding its way through every page and tagging each within its data base. It is a good thing. We do not want Google to start ignoring PBase.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Where did the hits come from?