Board index PBase Questions and Answers Page View Counts

Questions and Answers

Page View Counts

Ask if you need help using PBase.
oldhiker

Page View Counts

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:54 pm

I've always been puzzled by the detailed statistics about page views that are posted daily. For instance, yesterday I had 212 total views. But the views for individual pictures and galleries shown on the right total only 19. Where are the other page views coming from, if not individual pictures and galleries?

vneilknobbe

Re: Page View Counts

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:26 am

I wonder if there is a limit to the number of images/galleries that are displayed on the right. You may be getting more views but the ones shown are the top X of them.

dw_thomas

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 am

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is a function of a limit on the number of slots for page/image counts to be displayed. A number which I think may have been reduced recently from what it had been, likely to reduce processing time. I also wouldn't try to even guess how they select what they display when all of many counts are equal but they've run out of display slots! :shock:

In general those hit statistics have always had an air of mystery about them, but I reckon it's some sort of relative indication.

DaveT

ken_duckert

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:15 am

I wrote to the Pbase management on 12/14...Here's my comment: "I have always been skeptical of the view count you post for our images. I manage the posting of images for a friend who has a Pbase account. Over the
last three days I notice an the exact same trend of increasing views in both of our sites. The increase is is significant and its about the same for both of us. I've seen this before but haven't asked about it.

I think I can only conclude that the view counts may be related is some way to the visits we actually get, but in the big picture, are completely manipulated by you. How close am I to understanding your view counts...?"

I haven't received a response yet - and quite frankly, don't expect one considering the time that has passed. The page views on the two sites still have wild fluctuations occurring at the same time and in the same proportion. The page views are a scam. I have a flag counter on my site. It records far fewer visitors and probably more accurate. Today I had 2500 views reported from yesterday. My flag counter identified five visitors. My ego wants to believe 2500, but reality says five. I like Pbase and don't need to be lied to like the service. I hate being deceived and think there are some either some ethical issues with the Pbase management or there's just some bad management occurring.

dw_thomas

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:56 pm

I have noticed for the last ten days or so my "counts" are back to the magnitudes they were earlier in the year prior to around the month of October. It doesn't matter much, as I don't depend on them for anything other than nurturing a bit of OCD, but it is a curious phenomena.

amjones

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:57 am

My Xmas present from pbase was to break the 2 million hit barrier this morning.

Do I really believe that figure? I don't think so. A more realistic figure is the 905 comments and 34 guest book entries. And of them , I think many are giving votes in return for a similar favour, so in reality less than 500 out of 2,000,000 are real visitors.

I thank them for showing interest, something you can't do to a search engine taking a passing glance.

Merry Xmas to one and all.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Page View Counts