Board index PBase Questions and Answers Members drifting away?

Questions and Answers

Members drifting away?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
jeanb
 
Posts: 953

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:21 pm


cami wrote:I am glad to be here and look forward to helping everyone on their PBase journey. I am dedicated to making sure your questions are answered. If I cannot answer them, I will definitely find you the answers, or direct the questions to the right department. 1-2-3-CHEESE! Let's take some photos!


That's really good.news if it's really happening. I've been here since 2002 and too old to change.. I recently checked on some of my old PAD friends and they've apparently all gone elsewhere.

Is Slug still in the picture at all??

madlights
 
Posts: 912

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:22 am


cami wrote:I am glad to be here and look forward to helping everyone on their PBase journey. I am dedicated to making sure your questions are answered. If I cannot answer them, I will definitely find you the answers, or direct the questions to the right department. 1-2-3-CHEESE! Let's take some photos!

Really glad to hear this. It it certain to give many encouragement, including myself, after so long a silence from Pbase. Thanks.

aorimages
 
Posts: 22

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 pm


Great news indeed....it would be nice to have the old PBASE back with a lot less galleries of semi clad pouting bimbos.Apart from that every time I go to PBASE on my phone I have to login unlike other sites.any suggestions.
Hugh

duo
 
Posts: 33

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:52 am


I think there are fewer uploads because the outright porn non-artistic nudes seem to have disappeared, now with an effort on all our behalves, we can go back to being an active artistic community. Viva whoever got rid of the filth and left the artistic nudes, someone with a brain I applaud you. It is up to us to make this site successful, so get your Christmas dinner down and get back to photography and sharing with us all. Merry Christmas to everyone where ever in the world you may be. Much love and friendship from a Kiwi living in Australia. Kia Kaha= Be Strong, a Maori greeting.

kstuebin
 
Posts: 1541

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 pm


duo wrote:I think there are fewer uploads because the outright porn non-artistic nudes seem to have disappeared, now with an effort on all our behalves, we can go back to being an active artistic community. Viva whoever got rid of the filth and left the artistic nudes, someone with a brain I applaud you. It is up to us to make this site successful, so get your Christmas dinner down and get back to photography and sharing with us all. Merry Christmas to everyone where ever in the world you may be. Much love and friendship from a Kiwi living in Australia. Kia Kaha= Be Strong, a Maori greeting.


I don't know what you're seeing but I'm still seeing tons of nudes in the popular galleries both logged in and out. This was how Pbase got to be known as Porn Base and it was blocked from the network where I worked. It looks to me like nothing has really changed.

amoxtli
 
Posts: 3191
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:58 pm


aorimages wrote:Great news indeed....it would be nice to have the old PBASE back with a lot less galleries of semi clad pouting bimbos.Apart from that every time I go to PBASE on my phone I have to login unlike other sites.any suggestions.
Hugh


I sent two emails to PBase support, on November 18 and December 6, regarding the pornographic galleries and also the geotagging which has been out of commission for over three years. I have not received an answer.

I don't know what kind of phone you use, but with IPhone 6S there is a feature that saves the password for a web site so you don't have to log in again.

Regards,
Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

edombek
 
Posts: 3

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:59 am


Long time user with a renewal due on 1 January. Been slowing moving images over to another site. Sad to say but PBase hasn't technically kept up with the times and I won't be renewing.

hgharib
 
Posts: 61

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:53 pm


Majority of browsing is done on mobile devices. This site does not work well with mobiles at all hence very few hits. So photographers are bound to move away to other galleries, some of which are very well designed and FREE.

smith_xt
 
Posts: 144

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:45 pm


I've been slowly migrating over to flickr. PBase is behind times!

gemmf
 
Posts: 903

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 pm


It's time to renew the subscription again but are the things going downhill or going up? My last questions were unanswered and issues I've had before haven't been rectified, so I'm really debating what to do...... :?: :?: :?:

richo
 
Posts: 229

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:46 pm


gemmf wrote:It's time to renew the subscription again but are the things going downhill or going up? My last questions were unanswered and issues I've had before haven't been rectified, so I'm really debating what to do...... :?: :?: :?:

That is a question you have to answer yourself. I just renewed, but I don't have high expectations much will change. As to answers, there are several active members who attempt to answer questions in the forum, but for any support issue you should email support@pbase.com.

akmc_in_au
 
Posts: 921

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 pm


richo wrote:I just renewed, but I don't have high expectations much will change.


Or anything, really, except for the occasional new support person who is here for a week. I'll settle for the place continuing to tick over so that all of our galleries and the comments therein don't vapourise.

richo wrote:As to answers, there are several active members who attempt to answer questions in the forum.


"Several" is generous. I dropped out of the forums for a couple of years and was stunned by what I saw when I popped my head in again occasionally last year. Back in the day there would be posts in Q&A every few hours at most. As of now it's been over 4 days since the last one (yours). As late as 2010/2011, that would have been inconceivable. The PAD forum seems to have turned into a pumpkin on New Year's Day, which would also once have been unthinkable. Even Show and Tell hasn't had a post in over 18 hours as of now; had that been the case 5 or 6 years ago the assumption would have been that something had broken. Now it's business as usual. One forum (Printers) hasn't seen any action since 2012, others will probably hit 2 or 3 years without posts later this year. The place is like a ghost town, and that's a slightly jaw-dropped observation, not a criticism.

There's one odd thing that I've noticed too; I'm not sure how well the main site is being indexed by the search engines at the moment. (Or how well the results are being ranked if they are added.) Searching on the exact text in the captions of some images that I put up in early October still gets the correct hit. Searching on later images does not. I noticed this last weekend when I was looking for something that I knew I posted (in a public gallery) back in November, but a Google search didn't return it (and still doesn't, even after I confirmed the exact text). Most of the hits that I get from search engines these days are for older images which have a well-trodden path. The newer ones usually only get internal PBase hits either from the Search feature, or the camera or lens databases.

richo
 
Posts: 229

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:55 am


akmc_in_au wrote:
richo wrote:I just renewed, but I don't have high expectations much will change.


Or anything, really, except for the occasional new support person who is here for a week. I'll settle for the place continuing to tick over so that all of our galleries and the comments therein don't vapourise.

richo wrote:As to answers, there are several active members who attempt to answer questions in the forum.


"Several" is generous. I dropped out of the forums for a couple of years and was stunned by what I saw when I popped my head in again occasionally last year. Back in the day there would be posts in Q&A every few hours at most. As of now it's been over 4 days since the last one (yours). As late as 2010/2011, that would have been inconceivable. The PAD forum seems to have turned into a pumpkin on New Year's Day, which would also once have been unthinkable. Even Show and Tell hasn't had a post in over 18 hours as of now; had that been the case 5 or 6 years ago the assumption would have been that something had broken. Now it's business as usual. One forum (Printers) hasn't seen any action since 2012, others will probably hit 2 or 3 years without posts later this year. The place is like a ghost town, and that's a slightly jaw-dropped observation, not a criticism.

There's one odd thing that I've noticed too; I'm not sure how well the main site is being indexed by the search engines at the moment. (Or how well the results are being ranked if they are added.) Searching on the exact text in the captions of some images that I put up in early October still gets the correct hit. Searching on later images does not. I noticed this last weekend when I was looking for something that I knew I posted (in a public gallery) back in November, but a Google search didn't return it (and still doesn't, even after I confirmed the exact text). Most of the hits that I get from search engines these days are for older images which have a well-trodden path. The newer ones usually only get internal PBase hits either from the Search feature, or the camera or lens databases.


I'm just a user trying to help...I don't have any control over what the Pbase powers do. But I can name at least 4 other users who do try to help. For $23, right now Pbase works for me, so long as the servers serve up my images.

wingspar
 
Posts: 80

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:26 am


I’ve been on Pbase since 2003 with thousands of photos I’d rather not migrate to another site. I like the layout of Pbase better than anything else I’ve seen, but this site has been dying for lack of support for years. One of these days I’ll probably quit renewing. The ability to upload multiple photos at one time has disappeared, and I used that almost every single time I upload photos making uploading photos a tedious task.

akmc_in_au
 
Posts: 921

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:39 am


wingspar wrote:I’ve been on Pbase since 2003 with thousands of photos I’d rather not migrate to another site. I like the layout of Pbase better than anything else I’ve seen, but this site has been dying for lack of support for years.


Agreed.

wingspar wrote:One of these days I’ll probably quit renewing. The ability to upload multiple photos at one time has disappeared, and I used that almost every single time I upload photos making uploading photos a tedious task.


Not completely; the Zip file method still works. But I agree that it's pretty woeful compared to the ease and simplicity of (for example) the Flickr uploader.

{Edit: I was writing this when you made your other post describing zips as a "pain in the neck". That might be a bit extreme in the case of 7 Zip where it's just select the files, right click and select Add To Archive, but yes, not as easy as a drag and drop process.)

I don't mind too much; normally I upload only maybe 5 or 6 images at a time so while it's annoying to have to keep reselecting, it's only moderately so. The last time I did a big load the Zip uploader worked well enough with only a few extra clicks. For mine the bigger annoyance is the way that the PBase uploader doesn't read the exif relating to the lens. I then have to go and set that manually. It's particularly annoying for shots where the focal length is 40mm since they could have been taken with either my 12-40 or my 40-150 and I often need to go and manually check the exif data. Neither are what you would call "state of the art" processes. And I know it won't be fixed, like pretty much any bell and whistle won't be fixed. Issues with the core functionality seem to be dealt with but if anything else (multi-uploads, geotagging, exif reading...) fails, it fails. If Flickr ever gets its act together in handling galleries and/or custom displays...

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Members drifting away?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron