Board index PBase Questions and Answers Members drifting away?

Questions and Answers

Members drifting away?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
richo
 
Posts: 229

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:22 pm


wingspar wrote:I’ve been on Pbase since 2003 with thousands of photos I’d rather not migrate to another site. I like the layout of Pbase better than anything else I’ve seen, but this site has been dying for lack of support for years. One of these days I’ll probably quit renewing. The ability to upload multiple photos at one time has disappeared, and I used that almost every single time I upload photos making uploading photos a tedious task.


See this post: http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48320

You will find the option along the top menu bar when using the classic "edit this gallery" option.

==>[ edit views: full edit | sequencing | upload | advanced | pblog upload ]

The zip file option still works, but if there are lots of images in the zip file, it might fail.

akmc_in_au
 
Posts: 921

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 pm


richo wrote:
wingspar wrote:I’ve been on Pbase since 2003 with thousands of photos I’d rather not migrate to another site. I like the layout of Pbase better than anything else I’ve seen, but this site has been dying for lack of support for years. One of these days I’ll probably quit renewing. The ability to upload multiple photos at one time has disappeared, and I used that almost every single time I upload photos making uploading photos a tedious task.


See this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48320

You will find the option along the top menu bar when using the classic "edit this gallery" option.

==>[ edit views: full edit | sequencing | upload | advanced | pblog upload ]


Or, on some accounts, you may not.

richo
 
Posts: 229

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:59 pm


akmc_in_au wrote:
richo wrote:
wingspar wrote:I’ve been on Pbase since 2003 with thousands of photos I’d rather not migrate to another site. I like the layout of Pbase better than anything else I’ve seen, but this site has been dying for lack of support for years. One of these days I’ll probably quit renewing. The ability to upload multiple photos at one time has disappeared, and I used that almost every single time I upload photos making uploading photos a tedious task.


See this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48320

You will find the option along the top menu bar when using the classic "edit this gallery" option.

==>[ edit views: full edit | sequencing | upload | advanced | pblog upload ]


Or, on some accounts, you may not.


I wonder if that depends on what option is selected as the default gallery editor "edit gallery" tool? I'm using the original edit tool.

akmc_in_au
 
Posts: 921

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:08 am


richo wrote:You will find the option along the top menu bar when using the classic "edit this gallery" option.

==>[ edit views: full edit | sequencing | upload | advanced | pblog upload ]


akmc_in_au wrote:Or, on some accounts, you may not.


richo wrote:I wonder if that depends on what option is selected as the default gallery editor "edit gallery" tool? I'm using the original edit tool.


I remember that option having been around when the drag and drop editor first came in, but I don't see that anywhere either now; not in my account settings and not in my gallery settings. What I've noticed is that if I select "Upload" from my home page I'm taken to whichever page I last used. If different accounts do indeed render differently it may be that access to the "default" field was removed for some of them too; it wouldn't really be needed if the system "remembers" your last choice.

richo
 
Posts: 229

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:52 am


akmc_in_au wrote:
richo wrote:You will find the option along the top menu bar when using the classic "edit this gallery" option.

==>[ edit views: full edit | sequencing | upload | advanced | pblog upload ]


akmc_in_au wrote:Or, on some accounts, you may not.


richo wrote:I wonder if that depends on what option is selected as the default gallery editor "edit gallery" tool? I'm using the original edit tool.


I remember that option having been around when the drag and drop editor first came in, but I don't see that anywhere either now; not in my account settings and not in my gallery settings. What I've noticed is that if I select "Upload" from my home page I'm taken to whichever page I last used. If different accounts do indeed render differently it may be that access to the "default" field was removed for some of them too; it wouldn't really be needed if the system "remembers" your last choice.


The choice of default gallery editor is in my account settings under options:
Default Gallery Editor => Original Edit Tool or Drag and Drop are the options

Except for perhaps some weird caching or a failure in the pbase database to update a user's choice, I doubt there is anything in the code targeting specific users - except where the user has chosen one tool or the other.

akmc_in_au
 
Posts: 921

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 am


richo wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:
richo wrote:You will find the option along the top menu bar when using the classic "edit this gallery" option.

==>[ edit views: full edit | sequencing | upload | advanced | pblog upload ]


akmc_in_au wrote:Or, on some accounts, you may not.


richo wrote:I wonder if that depends on what option is selected as the default gallery editor "edit gallery" tool? I'm using the original edit tool.


I remember that option having been around when the drag and drop editor first came in, but I don't see that anywhere either now; not in my account settings and not in my gallery settings. What I've noticed is that if I select "Upload" from my home page I'm taken to whichever page I last used. If different accounts do indeed render differently it may be that access to the "default" field was removed for some of them too; it wouldn't really be needed if the system "remembers" your last choice.


The choice of default gallery editor is in my account settings under options:
Default Gallery Editor => Original Edit Tool or Drag and Drop are the options

Except for perhaps some weird caching or a failure in the pbase database to update a user's choice, I doubt there is anything in the code targeting specific users - except where the user has chosen one tool or the other.


The sort-of good news is that you're right; if you have the default set to the original upload page you get the 5 options. If you have it set to Drag and Drop you get only three.

The less good news is that the uploader has the same effective functionality as the drag and drop one, it just takes up more screen real estate. Yes, there are over 20 separate upload buttons and spaces for filenames but you still have to select each and every file singly. You can't shift click to select multiple ones at a time. You do exactly the same thing in the new uploader, it's just that instead of having fixed rows of upload buttons you just select one file after another file after another file until you're done and the "Photos to be uploaded" box dynamically resizes. In both cases you're still selecting files individually which, as I understand it, is Wingspar's principal gripe given that he doesn't care for the Zip option.

(Clarification: You don't necessarily have to click through to the dialog and select from a File -> Open box; in both the old and new dialogs you can drag the images from Windows Explorer onto the "No File Selected" text next to the Browse button (or onto the browse button; I think the location reading is a bit iffy occasionally since I've had to do both at different times), which does save a little time. (I have no idea whether it works on a Mac.) But still... only one image at a time either way.)

mdlempert
 
Posts: 145

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Mon May 01, 2017 11:36 pm


Maybe most concerning for me is the lack of any comments here from owners. I have a lot invested in my pictures here. member since 11/2001.

akmc_in_au
 
Posts: 921

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Tue May 02, 2017 4:36 am


mdlempert wrote:Maybe most concerning for me is the lack of any comments here from owners. I have a lot invested in my pictures here. member since 11/2001.


You should be well and truly used to that then. You need only look at the "News" forum; there were three years and 1 day between the most "recent" announcement (that of the arrival of the short-lived Cami, if one may call almost 6 months ago "recent") and the one before that. One wonders how many members were shed in that period, though as I've noted elsewhere the number of images posted seems to be falling by over 20% year on year, every year.

And the thing that really makes me just shake my head in resigned astonishment is... while it may be too late to ever reverse the membership back to what it was say 7 or 8 years ago, just a little bit of regular information about what is (or even isn't, if there's good reason for it) happening on the site might at least slow that trend. People don't like to be ignored, and they don't like uncertainty, especially if it they've invested a lot of time in something and are wondering if they should invest more in it. Nothing more arduous than even monthly status updates would address that.

It'll never happen, of course. For mine I've started loading caption and description information into the IPTC Core metadata of my photos. That way if or when the day comes when PBase is no longer with us, I can recreate my galleries elsewhere pretty quickly. (Actually I wish I'd realised this earlier because even the PBase uploader can read that data; it saves a heap of time in putting up new photos since I no longer have to do the descriptions as a separate step.) Of course the comments accumulated over the years will vanish if PBase does, but {shrug} this is PBase. It is what it is. And I suspect will continue to be for as long as it lasts.

expressionunlimited
 
Posts: 8

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 am


I'm def drifting ... it hard to use and not really worth the trouble

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Members drifting away?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests