Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jumping between galleries

Questions and Answers

Jumping between galleries

Ask if you need help using PBase.
chucklantz

Jumping between galleries

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:21 pm

I've had this problem for years here. If I have the same image in two galleries, when I reach that image while browsing through the original gallery it was in (using the "next" button), for some reason the pages switch to the gallery that image has been copied to, and all subsequent images as I browse are in that secondary gallery. If I back-up, I remain in that secondary gallery. Is there any way I can fix this?

dw_thomas

Re: Jumping between galleries

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 pm

I recall observing that along the way, but never tried very hard to dig into it. I do recall others have commented on it over the years. It's likely a side effect of how the forward/back function is implemented and perhaps, since the actual individual images are part of a massive flat array, probably when one tries to step through the sequence, whatever does that looks back at some list "this image is part of gallery_x, gallery_y ..." and doesn't know the place to start; e.g, how it got to where it currently is.

Since storage is cheap, and I very seldom put an image in more than one gallery, I have just taken to uploading a duplicate to the second gallery. The other advantage of that is that you can have a different title and caption on the copy. That can be useful if perhaps in one gallery the image is part of a travel narrative, and in the second location it's a sample of using a certain camera or technique and I want to show some blather about "here's how I did it."

I am no stranger to computers, but have never been into the major database side of things. I suspect if one sat down and tried to design from scratch the functions of PBase, with all its flexibility in gallery hierarchy, one would soon have very little hair left!!! :shock:

chucklantz

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks, DW. Your suggestion of duplicating the image into the secondary gallery, instead of copying it, makes sense. Doing it your way turns the image into a distinct "new image", which should work fine. I'll also try slightly changing the photo ID on the second image to see if that will "break the chain" and allow me to stay in the same gallery when browsing.

dw_thomas

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:56 am

chucklantz wrote:[ .. . ] I'll also try slightly changing the photo ID on the second image to see if that will "break the chain" and allow me to stay in the same gallery when browsing.

If you upload a new copy of a file, even with the same name on your local system, I believe it automatically gets a new ID. In fact, I've occasionally accidentally uploaded an image twice when filling a large gallery in multiple blocks, and each instance is unique. The "title" filled in by the upload will appear the same, but that internal ID has a many-digit number in it that will be different.

I think only the operation of replacing an existing image using the 'edit image' stuff will maintain the existing ID. When you "copy" an image to another gallery, the magic system just places the original index for that image in another "list" that defines the second gallery, so in that case, the same index appears in two places. (Under the edit image screens, there is a pull-down that shows what galleries the image is part of. That allows deleting the image from only one of multiple galleries.)

{It's all part of a good will scheme to exercise our minds for Alzheimers' prevention! :roll: }

DaveT

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jumping between galleries