Board index PBase Questions and Answers Downloading

Questions and Answers

Downloading

Ask if you need help using PBase.
zonaboxer

Downloading

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:26 pm

My Bother has many photos' on this site. He passed a way a couple of years ago and we would like to download all of his photo's. Is this possible? If so what is the process? His account will expire soon and we would like to get the photos' soon.
Best
Richard Bergin

Please reply to me at rjb@rjb1.com

dw_thomas

Re: Downloading

Post Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 pm

This topic comes up from time to time and unfortunately there does not appear to be as easy a solution as one might hope. There was a fairly recent thread about a downloader using a perl script: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48495 It sounds as though one needs to be a bit of a computer nerd to use it. One ongoing problem has been that as PBase has evolved over the years there were sometimes changes that broke downloaders that some clever souls had devised. Since they were off-the-cuff solutions, there was little support available for revisions. To the best of my knowledge, there is no "official" download App from PBase.

If the galleries in question do not have Right Click disabled, I believe you can drag and drop displayed images to your local machine. (That suggests the question: Do you have the password to access your brother's gallery as owner? That would allow enabling right click if it's not.) Unfortunately drag and drop will not bring titles and captions along, just the image files.

How I would approach the problem would depend a great deal on how many images were involved. If it's a few hundred, some labor intensive copy and paste operations might be less trouble than trying to get a script working. If it's thousands, a more extensive effort might be worth the time invested.

DaveT

gailb

Post Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 pm

dw_thomas wrote:To the best of my knowledge, there is no "official" download App from PBase.

Why not? There used to be a program!

I'd like to download my albums/images to my hard drive. Hundreds of images. Individual drop and drag is a poor option. And so is getting a script working as I do not have the skills.

Please tell me there is a way to bulk download images. Thank you.

cits_4_pets

Post Mon May 07, 2018 12:35 am

zonaboxer wrote:My Bother has many photos' on this site. He passed a way a couple of years ago and we would like to download all of his photo's. Is this possible? If so what is the process? His account will expire soon and we would like to get the photos' soon.
Best
Richard Bergin

Richard, so sorry about your brother. I don't think pbase administrators read these threads. Nothing new has been done with the site in years. You can try emailing them at help@pbase.com

Best of luck. I know there are others who want to be able to download full galleries from family members.
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

dw_thomas

Post Mon May 07, 2018 3:44 pm

gailb wrote:
dw_thomas wrote:To the best of my knowledge, there is no "official" download App from PBase.

Why not? There used to be a program!

I'd like to download my albums/images to my hard drive. Hundreds of images. Individual drop and drag is a poor option. And so is getting a script working as I do not have the skills.

Please tell me there is a way to bulk download images. Thank you.

I believe the one that used to exist was done by an individual and not an “official “ PBase utility. I and a number of others maintain local backups of what we have up on PBase. I don’t think it’s realistic to consider any of the gallery sites to be archiving services. (As I recall there is more discussion on some of the difficulties encountered in the thread I linked above. )

richo

Post Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 pm

zonaboxer wrote:My Bother has many photos' on this site. He passed a way a couple of years ago and we would like to download all of his photo's. Is this possible? If so what is the process? His account will expire soon and we would like to get the photos' soon.
Best
Richard Bergin

See this most recent thread about PBGrab
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48495
Note: You will need the username and password for this to work.

Also, I do not think Pbase deletes photos after an account expires...not 100% certain, but from the statements of others here it seems the galleries stay up for a long time. Not sure if you could login after the account expires. And if you have the password right now, you can just add another $23 for another year.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Downloading