Board index PBase Questions and Answers Spam Comments on PBase Sites

Questions and Answers

Spam Comments on PBase Sites

Ask if you need help using PBase.
helenpb

Re: Spam Comments on PBase Sites

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:30 pm

globalgadabout wrote:this onslaught of unwanted messages, sleazy in character, has been going on for several days, and persists this morning too.
The messages might well prove harmful as well, and could contain a virus to attack both the website and individual user's galleries.
can pbase management eliminate the problem straight away, as in TODAY, and perhaps inform loyal account holders of where we stand????

I haven't heard a word from Pbase admin, and I originally wrote around 24 hours ago, with several updates. Nothing here, either. How discouraging...

richo

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Same here - juliet10 was one of them.
And they track back to a .ru site. Be aware they are using code on the sites to add the account page to your taskbar.
Also got an email from Facebook that someone was attempting to access my site and had problems with the password.

staggerwing

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:23 pm

I just deleted well over 100 from today...

Have now changed all my galleries to "Nobody can comment" hope it's stopped soon
Last edited by staggerwing on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaiyang46

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:38 pm

Same here. It began yesterday. About 1000 of these now. I've closed the comments section until this is solved.
Last edited by gaiyang46 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

laroseforest

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:17 am

Thankfully I have had only two spam comments - so far. This is appalling. Why are there no comments here on the forum, from PBase admin? Perhaps they are busy trying to combat the problem and will let us know later? I hope that is the case, because I would like to think they are working on this or a lot of PBasers might decide to leave, which would be very sad.I know the frustration factor is high.

longbachnguyen

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 am

Well I just finished deleting the same spam everyone had about 11 pages or more.

Long

tomleroy

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:46 am

Hello all

I've set my account to NO ONE and still getting this nasty spam! IS PBase admin doing anything?????

mardoli

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 am

Hello to everyone!
I read about your misadventures with the spammers and I feel puzzled, because I didn't receive any single spam comment yet. Maybe my pages are not appealing for any Russian spammer either :( :( :(
I'm kidding, nevertheless I think it's strange that I have been spared from this nuisance. I have allowed comments only from paid members of Pbase, but I read here in this post that this is not enough to protect from the wave of spammers. I wonder if some accounts have been hackered and, if it was the case, then it would be a serious problem.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

travelgame

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

Hi everyone,

I am starting to receive spam messages now, hope it is not the beginning of a flood. Barbara has been spared, so far. I will now tighten up the Comment options on my Account page.

Philip

janescottcumming

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 am

I just deleted another 14 pages of spam comments and have now changed my settings to no one.
Any progress on solving the problem?

staggerwing

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:52 pm

tomleroy wrote:Hello all

I've set my account to NO ONE and still getting this nasty spam! IS PBase admin doing anything?????

Just in case you did the same as I did at first... you need to reset each gallery and not just the root gallery..

helenpb

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:44 pm

staggerwing wrote:

Just in case you did the same as I did at first... you need to reset each gallery and not just the root gallery..

How does one reset each gallery? I looked but couldn't see any options for restricting comments on the gallery itself. I have a lot of galleries and don't really want to have to do that (I already have settings for no comments from anybody for now), but if I get spammed again, I may have to resort to that.

helenpb

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm

mardoli wrote:Hello to everyone!
I read about your misadventures with the spammers and I feel puzzled, because I didn't receive any single spam comment yet. Maybe my pages are not appealing for any Russian spammer either :( :( :(
I'm kidding, nevertheless I think it's strange that I have been spared from this nuisance. I have allowed comments only from paid members of Pbase, but I read here in this post that this is not enough to protect from the wave of spammers. I wonder if some accounts have been hackered and, if it was the case, then it would be a serious problem.

I guess count your blessings -- for now. There are a lot of members on Pbase; perhaps they're working their way through all vulnerable accounts. I sent out a message to some Pbase friends yesterday saying I've had to disable comments temporarily and got a number of responses from people saying they've been hacked, too, although nobody seems to have had the almost 3,000 spam comments I got on Sunday.

I just have to wonder where management is -- the site is clearly under attack, and it seems there's not a lot we can do to protect ourselves. At the very least they should be canceling those 10 or so (however many there are, I didn't count them, but the same names reappeared again and again) accounts that are responsible for this.

staggerwing

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:56 pm

helenpb wrote:
staggerwing wrote:

How does one reset each gallery? I looked but couldn't see any options for restricting comments on the gallery itself. I have a lot of galleries and don't really want to have to do that (I already have settings for no comments from anybody for now), but if I get spammed again, I may have to resort to that.

Sure wish I had found a "batch" type control but didn't.... I went to each gallery same as if I were going to add a photos... at the top of the main boxed in area you will see "Advanced" in there you will find quickly where to reset comments... then be sure to drop down to just below that to hit "SAVE"

helenpb

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Sure wish I had found a "batch" type control but didn't.... I went to each gallery same as if I were going to add a photos... at the top of the main boxed in area you will see "Advanced" in there you will find quickly where to reset comments... then be sure to drop down to just below that to hit "SAVE"[/quote]

Thanks, I did look at advanced but didn't see that. It's set for "Who can comment -- nobody can post." I don't know how I managed to do that, but it now seems to be that way for all of my galleries, and I haven't gotten any more spam or comments at all. Maybe it was when I disabled comments under my settings? I hope I can figure out how to change it back after this is all over, if it ever is all over.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Spam Comments on PBase Sites