Board index PBase Questions and Answers Image size

Questions and Answers

Image size

Ask if you need help using PBase.
pbarraud

Image size

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 pm

When I open an image of my gallery, it automatically appears in "AUTO" mode, which is much too large to fit on the screen.
How can I do in order to have the images coming up as "LARGE", only ?
Thanks
Philippe

akmc_in_au

Re: Image size

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 am

pbarraud wrote:When I open an image of my gallery, it automatically appears in "AUTO" mode, which is much too large to fit on the screen.
Thanks
Philippe

When you select an image size from the list below the image, all of the subsequent images that you open should open at the same size.

That said, I strongly recommend that you resize your images before uploading so that they will fit within a standard (modern) browser window.

"Large" is 800 pixels on the long edge. If the photo that is uploaded is less than 800 pixels, there will be no large.

If it is exactly 800 pixels, then the Large and Original size will be the same.

If it is larger than 800 pixels, then the Large size will be a PBase-generated copy of the image which is shrunk down to 800 pixels. This usually involves a noticeable loss of quality.

I (and I don't think I'm alone in this) prefer to use the Original setting so that I see the image as the photographer uploaded it. That said, if that image is so huge that I simply can't see it at its original size, I just click away from the gallery.

dw_thomas

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:16 pm

I'm thinking that "Auto" selection just showed up after the recent enhancements for mobile use. There is a place in the "Edit image" page with a pulldown for size, but last I looked, "Auto" was not in the list. So other than clicking it under the caption area of an image, I'm not sure how or why that would become the setting. I have fairly recently uploaded a gallery or two without provoking an auto setting, but I normally size my images at 800 pixels max. Maybe above some size threshold auto is now triggered? I rummaged a bit through the help stuff, but that always seems to lag what the PBase system actually does, so I imagine not finding any hints there doesn't mean much.

For now I'll guess we are just experiencing another surprise work-in-progress!
DaveT

richo

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:57 pm

pbarraud wrote:When I open an image of my gallery, it automatically appears in "AUTO" mode, which is much too large to fit on the screen.
Thanks
Philippe

Auto code is broken!

I have done some debugging on the code that is supposed to make the "Auto" function work and it is broken. The code is looking at the wrong parameters for the window object so it gets a length and width that is undefined for the image. Therefore nothing happens except that there is an additional piece of code that reduces the image by a few pixels which results in the image looking blurry and out-of-focus.

pbarraud

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks to all ! I will resize my pictures before posting them in the future.

Philippe

richo

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:40 pm

pbarraud wrote:Thanks to all ! I will resize my pictures before posting them in the future.

Philippe

Resize to the largest size that for your intended display. So if you are expecting your viewers to be using a 4K device then resize to a just below that height/width. If you expect most to be using a phone at 1080p then resize to just below that. However, just remember if you embed your images to other pages or social media from Pbase then include the parameter you want to use. So for example, if you want the actual original size to be embedded then include /original.jpg at the end or /original if just providing a link to the image page. Do not use the image URL without a parameter until they fix "auto" when just providing a link to the image. Auto will make your image look blurry.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Image size