Board index PBase Questions and Answers Strange file names after upload

Questions and Answers

Strange file names after upload

Ask if you need help using PBase.
46er

Strange file names after upload

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Just uploaded pictures, loaded fine but the file names are changed to characters, example; !º+(µãps·}=
Any idea?

richo

Re: Strange file names after upload

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Looks like some data corruption. It could be because a routine was interrupted before it could complete or a server was being updated. A number of things can cause this, most are temporary. Is it happening all the time?

dw_thomas

Re: Strange file names after upload

Post Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:25 am

(A weird thought on my part) Are we talking of the filename displayed as a title in the gallery after uploading or the filename one gets if one tries to download the image file from the gallery to their computer or other device?

(Not sure how I discovered this, but) In saving from the site, the filename can apparently be completely replaced by a cryptic string if the image is not downloaded at the original size. Even the original size gets a cryptic string followed by a period and then the uploaded filename. I assume (dangerous!) the cryptic string is some sort of index into the massive database of images.

Anyway, perhaps that is getting loose and showing up in places unintended. Within the past week or so I uploaded a gallery for Argus Day without incident.

For sure, there's always a new mystery it seems!
DaveT

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Strange file names after upload