Board index PBase Questions and Answers Please refresh my memory

Questions and Answers

Please refresh my memory

Ask if you need help using PBase.
kombizz

Please refresh my memory

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:52 pm

I have question about how to organize images into different different sub-galleries within a project.
Usually when I take images of one day trip, I take different sort of images. Then after uploading to the Pbase, all images come in one whole gallery. Then I would like to seperate each related photos into a sub-group.
For example if I took images of vehicles, then I would to open another sub-gallery under title of vehicles and organize it under the main gallery.
Few years back I knew how to do it, but now due to short of memory, I need an assistant from one of you.
Here in my trip to Qatar (https://pbase.com/kombizz/qatar) I organized different galleries under the main gallery.
I appreciate your help in this matter.
Many thanks

akmc_in_au

Re: Please refresh my memory

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:22 pm

kombizz wrote:I have question about how to organize images into different different sub-galleries within a project.
Usually when I take images of one day trip, I take different sort of images. Then after uploading to the Pbase, all images come in one whole gallery. Then I would like to seperate each related photos into a sub-group.
For example if I took images of vehicles, then I would to open another sub-gallery under title of vehicles and organize it under the main gallery.
Few years back I knew how to do it, but now due to short of memory, I need an assistant from one of you.

- Go to the main gallery that you want to create sub-galleries under.
- In the top left you should see something like {YourName} | profile | all galleries >> Galleries >> edit this gallery
- Click on the Edit This Gallery link.
- Depending on your settings you will be in one of two places. Either:
(a) The classic gallery editor; or
(b) The Drag And Drop editor.
- I recommend using the latter... mainly because I can't be bothered typing the instructions for the dinosaur one.

How can you tell? Because if you're in the classic editor there will be a link over near the top right corner of the page which reads "drag and drop edit page". If you see that, click on that to move to it.

You'll know you're in the drag and drop page if you see a panel on the left showing a tree of all of your gallery folders, and at the bottom of that panel there is a link to "original edit page". If you see that panel, that's where you want to be. (Do NOT click on that link.)

- As I said, you'll see a tree of your folders (galleries) in that left hand side panel. The current gallery will be highlighted with a blue background.
- At the top of the panel you will see 4 icons:
(a) Something that looks like a folder with a gold + on it;
(b) An X which is used to delete empty galleries;
(c) An icon of an eyeball which lets you view the selected gallery; and
(d) move/copy selection.

- Click on the first icon and name the new gallery whatever you want, and fill out the Gallery Details tab that will appear.
- Once you're done you can go back to the original folder, select the Contents tab, then select the images that ypu want to move, and drag them into your new folder in the left hand panel.

richo

Post Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:53 pm

As a refresher...
There is a help FAQ section.
https://pbase.com/help/edit_gallery

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:03 pm

richo wrote:As a refresher...

Have you read that recently?

They haven't bothered to update it (I see a pattern emerging here) since the "something new" drag and drop editor was introduced... 12 years ago. It relates to the old editor, and some of it (like the "How do I create a new gallery" section) is about as clear as mud unless you already understand the process.

That's why I didn't mention it. For anyone who has joined in the last 12 years and has never used the original editor (or in many cases even know that it's there), it's more confusing than enlightening.

richo

Post Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:41 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:

They haven't bothered to update it (I see a pattern emerging here) since the "something new" drag and drop editor was introduced... 12 years ago. It relates to the old editor, and some of it (like the "How do I create a new gallery" section) is about as clear as mud unless you already understand the process.

That's why I didn't mention it. For anyone who has joined in the last 12 years and has never used the original editor (or in many cases even know that it's there), it's more confusing than enlightening.

I have actually used it several times when I have forgotten how to set up a gallery. I am posting more directly to Facebook and Instagram right now, so the FAQ helps me refresh my memory. I was in software design and development for 35 years, so it's easier for me to pick it up. I just wish Emily would come and share the future plans. I ran a community for wildflower photographers for 10 years. I gave regularly updates and shared my future plans. I eventually moved that community to my Facebook page and a Facebook group, because I got tired of software updates and troubleshooting issues. So, Emily a little communication on a monthly basis would help a lot.

akmc_in_au

Post Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:14 am

richo wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:

I have actually used it several times when I have forgotten how to set up a gallery. I am posting more directly to Facebook and Instagram right now, so the FAQ helps me refresh my memory.

Are you using the archaic, late 90's original edit page rather than the drag and drop one? If not, how does it refresh your memory?

"When editing a gallery, you have the option to Create a New Gallery. "

Yeah. because in the ORIGINAL, archaic 90's era edit page, there IS in fact a heading titled "Create a New Gallery". In the Drag and Drop editor, there isn't. There is an icon which you need to discover, if you aren't already familiar with it. Also:

"After naming the new gallery, you have an option to Create the Gallery at Root level"

Except that's not the way it works in the drag and drop editor. You need to have the folder selected before you hit the icon... the icon which is not described anywhere in the help system, because the help system relates to the earlier generation page, not the current one. (Or you create it at root level and drag it under another folder... which is also not explained in the help because that option didn't exist when the help was written.)

If you're still using the dinosaur edit page, sure, it can refresh your memory. But I still maintain that the "help" page is more confusing than enlightening for anyone who is not familiar with the old edit page.

richo wrote: I was in software design and development for 35 years, so it's easier for me to pick it up.

Not everyone has been, which is why I'm disinclined to point people to pages that are so out of date as to be misleading. I still point to whatever pages in the help file are still current.

richo wrote: I just wish Emily would come and share the future plans. I ran a community for wildflower photographers for 10 years. I gave regularly updates and shared my future plans. I eventually moved that community to my Facebook page and a Facebook group, because I got tired of software updates and troubleshooting issues. So, Emily a little communication on a monthly basis would help a lot.

I judge on what people do, not what they say, especially when we've heard the same old same old, same old oh so many times. I've heard all of the fantasies about "PBase 2" (remember that? Coming Real! Soon! Now! from about 2008 I think it was), I remember how there was a brand new start with Cami coming in to provide member support; she lasted for 12 posts over the space of 3 days, 7 years ago including this gem:
cami wrote:PBase is an ever-changing, ever-growing company. We are dedicated to making this site great and listening closely to what our users need and want from us. For this reason, we have been working diligently behind-the-scenes to bring you double protection when it comes to your photos. We have set up multiple back-up systems and also beefed up our servers in order to meet the needs of our client base. We also have additions and improvements in the works. Please stay tuned. We will be changing and growing with you and look forward to what the future has in store!

Thanks!
~Cami~
PBase Admin

Mmm. And what has actually happened since then, in those 7 years?
  • Two increases in storage for the same price (2017 and 2019), which is not surprising since cloud services are becoming cheaper. Oh, and PBase is one of the few that still charges by storage amount anyway. I don't have a problem with the price but let's not pretend that this is some great boon relative to other sites.
  • New data centre, much faster servers (2019)... which means that they're on a par with the rest of the internet now.
  • Improved thumbnails (twice) in 2022, so... again getting on a par with where a lot of sites were around 2012.

In the meantime something like stats going down results in an entire week's worth of support requests being raised before PBase admin finally makes a post about it. So oh yes, absolutely I believe that people are working diligently in the background and just somehow didn't notice the outage. Or the support tickets. But then I believe in Santy-Clause, too.

So you want to know what the future is? Here are the two versions:
  • Lip Service: Great! Things! Are! In! The! Works!
  • Reality: Keep taking the 23 bucks from people who have too much history here to simply up sticks and move, while doing minimal to zero support (depending on which issues they FEEL like addressing), and announcing 10 year overdue upgrades every few years. This will continue until the number of photos posted, which dropped by about 83% between 2013 and 2022, falls to as close to zero as makes no odds, and the lights are switched off for the last time.
I'm still posting here but these days it's nothing more than a staging area to prepare galleries for posting elsewhere. When a business ignores its paying customers... it does not make friends.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Please refresh my memory