Board index PBase Questions and Answers How to best "resize" images before posting?

Questions and Answers

How to best "resize" images before posting?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
bob_alder

How to best "resize" images before posting?

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:39 pm

Pardon the neophite question.

My 5 megapixel camera creates JPG files of about 1 meg per file (2560 x 1970 pixels). For posting to pbase (or any web usage for that matter) a much smaller file sizes is more appropriate (about 85k?)

So, what is the best way to reduce the file size appropriate for web viewing? My efforts at reducing file size (to say 640 x 480) seems to result in too large of file size (200k to 300k). Or, if I reduce futher (or use compression) the image quality is way below what is acceptable. I see other gallary photos with VERY nice viewing quality on an image file size of about 85k but I can't seem to get there.

What is the appropriate "reduction" procedure for best web posting/viewing? I've got PhotoDeluxe, IrFanView, and the Minolta software all of which can resize and compress, but can't fiture out the optimum file size reduction method.

Thanks.

srijith

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:05 pm

A lot of us use Photoshop. It has a "Save for Web" feature that can produce very low sized (50~80K) images of great quality. So, if you have Photoshop, that is the way to go.

ilanphoto

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:30 pm

Try reducing your resolution to 72 DPI (PPI) which is the standard norm for monitors, anything more than that just inflates your file
Hope that helps
Ilan

thresholdprod

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:46 pm

Change the setting to a higher jpeg compresssion low-meduim range should be good .

Second thing crop the photos some. This cleans them up and and cutts the size down.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers How to best "resize" images before posting?