Board index PBase Feature Requests Trusted Scripts available when creating editing galleries.

Feature Requests

Trusted Scripts available when creating editing galleries.

Request changes or modifications.
captainproton

Trusted Scripts available when creating editing galleries.

Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:02 pm

I know this has come up previously but wanted to mention it on the new forums.

People are often asking how to disable right clicking on images and there is no simple answer, but if PBase offered a range of tested and trusted scripts when creating and editing galleries the problem could be solved. What I mean is to have a drop down box containing a few scripts that will be included when the gallery is viewed, you might have a script that ensures the browser is 800 x 600 or stops right clicking or changes the mouse pointer or something.

By offerering options like this people get a choice.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:16 am

in my opinion, attempts to disable right clicking do nothing but provide a false sense of security.
there are many ways to bypass javascript protection, so it won't stop any thieves, and will only inconvenience everyone else.
i don't believe in the effectiveness of it, so can't advertise it as a method of protecting people's photos.

i think a more effective solution for people concerned about theft of their images is to upload only low resolution, (640x480 for example) photos.
this limits the usefulness as you can't get a very good print from a low rez image.

an alternative some people like is plastering copyright statements on the image itself. annoying, but effective.

-slug

srijith

I Agree

Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:07 pm

I agree with slug on this.. it is just plain annoying and provides a false sense of security. If I really want to steal your pic, I can, as long as it is on pbase, visible to all.

captainproton

Missed the point

Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:17 pm

I think you misunderstood the request. I used the right click as an example because it had been raised so many times before, I am suggesting that people be given the choice to use various scripts to enhance the pages, scripts that have been tested by slug and are known to be safe.

The request was about choice. My pictures (not worth stealing) are uploaded at 640 x 480 72 DPI.

thresholdprod

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:05 am

Scripts are a problem, different browsers react differently. People using older browser will experience hangs and crashes. Java script makes pages load slower. Less Crap = More speed.

I set my browser to the features and preferences of what I want it to be, not you.I'm sorry if it ruins your grand vision and
compromises your art. I also keep style sheets shut off as one of my options, java and active X are under heavy lock down.So why do you want script? Is it to run pop up or pop under windows? Most people are annoyed by the stupid little cutesy things poeple try by changing the pointer around or embedding music.

So in summary keep java off pbase and out of the hands of idiots (general public).
Bill Freeman
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but usually consumes the bandwidth of more than two thousand." --Gym Quirk
Many great words of wisdom and advice http://www.pbase.com/help http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

srijith

Re: Missed the point

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:36 am

captainproton wrote:I think you misunderstood the request. I used the right click as an example because it had been raised so many times before.

Interesting. What would you want the Javascripts to do then? Disabling the right click seems to be the only nice feature (but unnecessary imo) that JS could add.

Srijith

captainproton

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:46 pm

I seem to have opened a can of worms here.

So in summary keep java off pbase and out of the hands of idiots (general public).

Most people that use PBase, and the general public are not idiots. I have been a programmer for many years in various languages, and also in business for myself and certainly don't consider myself an idiot.

Again, I will say again - the original post was about choice and the right click was only an example.

Like it or not people have (in the old forums) asked for the option to prevent right clicking, and giving a choice is a good method of providing such an option. As I said, this was only given as an example.

Popups - well, a choice of scripts set down by PBase would ensure that stupid popups do not occur. I don't like popup windows either or any other things like that - I get back to choice.

You simply aren't reading what I am writing - offer a choice of PBase scripts, nothing more.

srijith

My thoughts...

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:17 pm

captainproton wrote:I seem to have opened a can of worms here.

Most people that use PBase, and the general public are not idiots. I have been a programmer for many years in various languages, and also in business for myself and certainly don't consider myself an idiot.

Before this turns ugly, maybe I can explain what my reaction would be if I was running this site.

Some of my members may want to add JS ability. Javascript may be able to add cool functionalities too. However, if I am to allow selected scripts to be hosted on the site:

*)Who will decide what goes in or what gets thrown away?
*)I do not know all the intricate details of JS to know if something bad can be done with a particular script.
*)Allowing one person's script and disallowing another's might create problems, since both of them are paying customers.

Does the functionalities added justify the effort, given that the work does not stop at just adding one script, but having to go through each and every script submitted by the user? No.

But then slug is not me :)

Board index PBase Feature Requests Trusted Scripts available when creating editing galleries.