Board index PBase Feature Requests Srijith - a new feature to add to your wish list - Admin Par

Feature Requests

Srijith - a new feature to add to your wish list - Admin Par

Request changes or modifications.
ilanphoto

Srijith - a new feature to add to your wish list - Admin Par

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:20 am

I would like to ask for a new automatic feature by which, once a week one of the admins will respond to the forums or at least show a sign of life :cry:
Last edited by ilanphoto on Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

srijith

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:22 am

Nice one :) But once a week? They should be here every day. As of now, all of us who are helping answering questions in these forums are doing it because we care for the site and what it can achieve. I wonder what woud happen when we start caring less.

ilanphoto

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:49 pm

srijith wrote:Nice one :) But once a week? They should be here every day. As of now, all of us who are helping answering questions in these forums are doing it because we care for the site and what it can achieve. I wonder what woud happen when we start caring less.

I ask for little :D
I really hope this helps Slug understand that he is missed. This is not a wise way to run a business and an excellent one at that.

srijith, your help has not gone unnoticed by me and I am sure that by some others as well.
So thanks again

srijith

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:18 am

Its my pleasure.

olliemaitland

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:44 am

I was just thinking the same thing, it really doesn't take much effort for Slug to post a little as some posts really aren't getting a conclusive reply.

Also a news post more than once a month would be really nice too..

Thanks very much srijith - you do an excellent job

jbviajero

customer relations

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:10 pm

I agree. A presence from the service provider in Q&A and Feature Requests makes lots of sense. Otherwise, why have the forums. In terms of managing perception, it doesn't hurt to tell the customer you are listening, even if you go away and don't do anything about it...

Now that pbase is a paying service, it would be nice to be treated as a paying customer.

jb

(pbase supporter)

ilanphoto

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:15 pm

The poll I had at the top of this post has gone though I had it configured as a never ending poll.

Does this mean the admins were angry enough to leave a trace of their presence?
Could this be a method to flash them out of hiding?
Come-on everybody let's work to get them back into business

srijith

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:21 pm

Very interesting.

minoltaman

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:49 pm

It does not bother me at all that the admins disappear. It shows the site can run just fine on it's own merits. Ths site is pretty self explanitory and their is really no need for them to be around that often at all.

I don't think it is their job to cruise the forums. That's what users like srijith are for. :lol: They have better things tio do than listen to complaints. IMHO.

The site gets better as time goes on and their are plenty of people are in the forums to address specific gripes. I would say this is just a convenience feature. I would still be happy if the galleries were it and their was no "complaint" forum at all. Pbase is what it is and I don't think the admins need to bother with the forums every day IMHO. I am sure the admins have more important things to do behind the scenes.

My US25cents on admin participation levels.

Cheers.

ilanphoto

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:16 pm

Don
I basically agree with you but we are lucky, we have srijith :D
It would be nice to hear from them from time to time. Things are getting fixed and improved and we discover them by chance. Could be nice to see a notice saying "fixed the search - enjoy" from one of them, this would not waist too much time.
After looking at quite a few sites, I still find this the best for my needs.
See you
Ilan

minoltaman

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:26 pm

Hi Ilan. In the old days search got turned off periodically during busy times. No one here really relied on it and it did not work at all, basically.

Now that search actually works "pretty good" I could careless if it goes down occasionally. It is so much better than what we had before I see no reason to complain during brief outages. Besides...google search does a pretty good job of indexing this site if you are really worried about searching.

I really like the hands off approach and also find pbase to be pretty much just what I need in an on-line photo database.

Could be nice to see a notice saying "fixed the search - enjoy" from one of them, this would not waist too much time.

I dunno here....a few seconds to reply is one thing. An hour or two to read all of the posts, complaints and problem reports and then checking them out may ba another. Also, I think some admins take a hands off approach cuz they can not reply to everyones questions...dumb or not. People get freaked out when one question is answered and someone elses is not. :)

Cheers

joesimages

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:49 pm

minoltaman wrote:It does not bother me at all that the admins disappear. It shows the site can run just fine on it's own merits. Ths site is pretty self explanitory and their is really no need for them to be around that often at all.

I don't think it is their job to cruise the forums. That's what users like srijith are for. :lol: They have better things tio do than listen to complaints. IMHO.

The site gets better as time goes on and their are plenty of people are in the forums to address specific gripes. I would say this is just a convenience feature. I would still be happy if the galleries were it and their was no "complaint" forum at all. Pbase is what it is and I don't think the admins need to bother with the forums every day IMHO. I am sure the admins have more important things to do behind the scenes.

My US25cents on admin participation levels.

Cheers.

IMO, I think that this approach is wrong and eventually it will come back to haunt them. There are very basic features that people would like to have implemented so keeping in touch with users is important. In fact, the very lack of their direct user community touch is the reason that I'm looking elsewhere.

minoltaman

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:59 pm

In fact, the very lack of their direct user community touch is the reason that I'm looking elsewhere.

15 million images here. Hard to get touchy feely enough souls to make an impact. This is a databsase not a photo critiqueing and talk site far as I know.

Can you name any photography databases that hold 15,000,000 images? I think many support the concept of pbase the way it is. Good luck at phototalk.net or wherever you end up. I have looked around for a good place to post more than 6,000 images. Pbase is by far the best solution I have found for a variety of reasons which are obvious to most of us.

See ya at another site.

cheers

srijith

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:44 pm

minoltaman wrote:I don't think it is their job to cruise the forums. That's what users like srijith are for. :lol: They have better things tio do than listen to complaints. IMHO.

Hmm.. why doesn't that sound nice? :wink:

On a serious note, I agree to a certain extent that people who are directly involved in the coding and backend job at pbase should not have to reply to each and every user questions, because most of them are just plain simple FAQs.

However, it is really necessary to have some kind of a system where the admins can inform the users that they are fixing the system when it gets broken or a new feature has been added or things are being worked on. It just gives out a warm feeling and frankly the ROI for that time is so large.

It is not that slug and team does not listen to people. Before I became involved so much in the forum, whenever I used to find abuses or problems that needed slug's attention, I used to PM him and the reply was very prompt. It is just that they just don't seem to have the time to individually answer each and every small question in the forum.

So in short - The *GODs* are out there. :) You have to be lucky to get their darshan!

minoltaman

Post Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:31 pm

I would agree a moderator or forum leader or two in these forums as a liaison between the team and us would be appropriate. Probably would just be more time consuming than beneficial for them though I would guess. Maybe not.

It might keep a few bucks in Slug's pocket that would have normally moved on. Some admins would rather let the troubled ones just fly away. As trouble takes time and I don't think Slug and the crew have a lot of time to play around with general bitches and small troubles.

BTW, I'll be sending you my list tonight or tomorrow for the FOAF project.

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Srijith - a new feature to add to your wish list - Admin Par