Board index PBase Feature Requests FTP uploading...

Feature Requests

FTP uploading...

Request changes or modifications.
joesimages

FTP uploading...

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:21 pm

any closer to being a reality???

hk_traveller

Re: FTP uploading...

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:02 am

joesimages wrote:any closer to being a reality???

Recently I has compared several online gallery services provider and none of them provide FTP upload feature. I guess it may be due to security issue and I cannot see the feature can be available in near future.

joesimages

Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:43 am

I'm not sure what security issues you refer to...you can make ftp secure by encrypting the traffic...but I'm not really picky...there needs to be a more automated way for one to upload pictures...I want to right click on an image and say "send to pbase" and be done with it...if they gave us the ability to ftp our images, email our images, etc. then we could automate this via script. Going through the klunky webui is no fun.

glenneroo

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:06 pm

not to mention i've had problems using the web interface to upload pics via some proxy servers... :cry:

mrbass

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:02 pm

I believe 'the paying users' can ftp upload over at fotopic.net. Currently I'm doing my own multi-user site for family/friends and only have ftp uploading capability. Still seems too complicated for most so I can't wait till the web-interface uploading is ready to use.

I remember when pbase first started there were problems with people uploading madonnalikeavirgin.jpg 4MB photos which were actually mp3s just renamed to .jpg. I know I would have that problem too and it's probably easier to verify and auto-creating thumbnails, etc. via a web-interface rather than ftp.

Think of how you can create an ftp account and prevent someone from uploading 3D Studio Max and giving out their ftp account to a few friends. On a NAS server we have at work we have some software that prevents certain types of files (.mp3, .mpg, .rm, etc.) from being created via SMB or FTP. Anyone know of solutions out there on linux?

joesimages

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:50 pm

I guess my point is that I don't care if it is ftp or not. It could be a web service that they write that accepts batch uploads via an http over ssl connection...I don't care...I just don't want to use the web interface to do it. FTP is just the obvious and easiest choice to set up.

mrbass wrote:I believe 'the paying users' can ftp upload over at fotopic.net. Currently I'm doing my own multi-user site for family/friends and only have ftp uploading capability. Still seems too complicated for most so I can't wait till the web-interface uploading is ready to use.

I remember when pbase first started there were problems with people uploading madonnalikeavirgin.jpg 4MB photos which were actually mp3s just renamed to .jpg. I know I would have that problem too and it's probably easier to verify and auto-creating thumbnails, etc. via a web-interface rather than ftp.

Think of how you can create an ftp account and prevent someone from uploading 3D Studio Max and giving out their ftp account to a few friends. On a NAS server we have at work we have some software that prevents certain types of files (.mp3, .mpg, .rm, etc.) from being created via SMB or FTP. Anyone know of solutions out there on linux?

ralf

Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:01 am

mrbass wrote:I believe 'the paying users' can ftp upload over at fotopic.net.

Think of how you can create an ftp account and prevent someone from uploading 3D Studio Max and giving out their ftp account to a few friends.

ImageEvent.com also supports FTP uploads. You can't turn their FTP server into a warez site because uploaded files are immediately processed and then deleted from the user-accessible directories.

srijith

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:57 am

Those who want FTP upload as a feature might be interested in my project - http://www.srijith.net/codes/pbaseupload/index.shtml

Discussion at http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=1873

mrbass

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:08 am

Still as joesimages says FTP would be a nice addition to pbase and the power users could really take advantage of it. I was had until a couple months ago close to 2.5GBs up on pbase and I had to upload one album at a time. Had 113 albums and it was quite a chore. FTP I could've just let it go for a couple days and be done with it.

@srijith
You little app sounds cool...you list:

Proxy support
Upload to directories (albums) other than "Inbox".
Automatically create the album (directory) to which you wish to upload, if they are not already present.

I've heard some have trouble uploading via proxies. Pbase you can still upload directly to an album rather than inbox IIRC. So basically can you little app upload say 20 albums at once (batch job)?

@ralf
that http://imageevent.com is pretty cool site...I like it a bunch. Anyway I opened mine to the public hoping for feedback http://membo.org

srijith

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:40 am

mrbass wrote:@srijith
You little app sounds cool...you list:

Proxy support
Upload to directories (albums) other than "Inbox".
Automatically create the album (directory) to which you wish to upload, if they are not already present.

I've heard some have trouble uploading via proxies. Pbase you can still upload directly to an album rather than inbox IIRC. So basically can you little app upload say 20 albums at once (batch job)?

batch jobs support will be worked on next. v0.3 should have that one in too. BTW do check out v0.2 which allows you to create new galleries under the root dir and upload images in any gallery situated just below the root gallery.

Board index PBase Feature Requests FTP uploading...