Board index PBase Feature Requests Popular Galleries

Feature Requests

Popular Galleries

Request changes or modifications.
jsb

Popular Galleries

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:49 pm

The theory is: "There are no defined criteria, but galleries with good technical or artistic quality will float to the top."

I don't see this happening. Rather, the popular galleries seem to be dominated by "special interest" galleries where the subject (e.g. my basement remodelling job, my staff Christmas party), and not the technical quality or aesthetics of the photos, is of interest. Perhaps there are too many slots for popular galleries. Maybe the voting rules could be changed somehow. Sorry I don't have a solution to propose.

I would hope to look to the Popular Galleries for technically excellent and aesthetically inspiring photographs but that's not what I see. Do any others feel this way or is everyone happy with what gets called popular and how the voting works?

dcoleman59

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:22 pm

I agree. The popular galleries seem like a joke to me. What you see in some cases appears to be the result of an email campaign rather than appreciation of excellence.

Dan Coleman
http://www.pbase.com/dcoleman59

minoltaman

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:49 pm

The theory is: "There are no defined criteria, but galleries with good technical or artistic quality will float to the top."

I don't see this happening. Rather, the popular galleries seem to be dominated by "special interest" galleries where the subject (e.g. my basement remodelling job, my staff Christmas party), and not the technical quality or aesthetics of the photos, is of interest. Perhaps there are too many slots for popular galleries. Maybe the voting rules could be changed somehow. Sorry I don't have a solution to propose.

I would hope to look to the Popular Galleries for technically excellent and aesthetically inspiring photographs but that's not what I see. Do any others feel this way or is everyone happy with what gets called popular and how the voting works?

Just disregard the 7day popular list. Take a look at the 90 day or all-time popular gallery lists. You will see that, indeed, the higher quality stuff does float to the top.

The 7 day list is like 5 minutes of fame. It does not mean much at this point. The threshold for the number of votes to make this list could be raised in my opinion.

Again, take a look at the 90day or all-time popular galleries. You will find that a bunch of good stuff has floated to the top. The special interest houses, car parts and crap do not float anywhere really.

Cheers

osmanolgen

Popular Galleries

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:35 pm

Hi,

I think taking hits should be a scoring method too. For example, if someone just looks at the gallery 1 point, if he goes into a photo detail 5 points, if he votes for that 10 more points etc. Something like that.

I surfed pbase.com for days and especially looked at very nice pictures but never voted for any of them, because I don't have much time for that, it takes another page refresh and at least 3-4 seconds with my connection.

Regards.
Osman

minoltaman wrote:

Just disregard the 7day popular list. Take a look at the 90 day or all-time popular gallery lists. You will see that, indeed, the higher quality stuff does float to the top.

The 7 day list is like 5 minutes of fame. It does not mean much at this point. The threshold for the number of votes to make this list could be raised in my opinion.

Again, take a look at the 90day or all-time popular galleries. You will find that a bunch of good stuff has floated to the top. The special interest houses, car parts and crap do not float anywhere really.

Cheers

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:51 pm

I think taking hits should be a scoring method too.

I say no way this would ever work. The nude/smut galleries and girlie pics would dominate the lists. This would be the worst way to gauge the good galleries in my opinion.

Simple hit count is no way to gauge a gallery on artistic or technical merit period, I don't think.

I surfed pbase.com for days and especially looked at very nice pictures but never voted for any of them, because I don't have much time for that, it takes another page refresh and at least 3-4 seconds with my connection.

Voting for individual pictures does not mean much at this point. Take the .2 seconds it takes to make a vote for a gallery and you will start making a difference. Each person can only vote once for a gallery so cheats can not dominate the system easily.

This system slug has set-up is not perfect but it is much better than just straight hits and page views. I promise.

Cheers

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

popular photos

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:53 pm

the popular photos page should now keep itself updated.
it's existed for a while, but hasn't been linked to or regularly updated.

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular_photos

it suffers from the same flaws as popular galleries (not enough votes) but there it is anyway.

the all time votes aren't bad
http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=pop ... period=all
and might improve over time.

the popular galleries page gets over 60,000 page views every day.

-slug

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:17 pm

pfffff...slug. I dunno...this guy has a billion popular photos. He dominates the all-time list! I think the list sucks!!...click down the all-time list a few clicks you will see what I mean. :lol: :)

Images like this way up the all time list.

The dominator...worsse than girlies... food! :lol:

http://www.pbase.com/conormckay

Last edited by minoltaman on Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:22 pm

:!: :!: :arrow: :arrow: That list all-time "popular" photos is just terrible :!: :!:

Northstar37 has about 200 of the first 275 photos and the dominator has most of the rest. Whoaaaa....you gotta click down the galleries to see.

Rediculous :!:
Last edited by minoltaman on Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:24 pm

The all-time and 90day gallery lists kill that junk :!: :!: My US $1.35.

Off to do some cheap statistical analysis now.

This is a good thing too.
the popular galleries page gets over 60,000 page views every day

Cheers

PS...I guess northstar has been around a while huh? No offense intended here.

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:42 pm

Ok, my early estimate was a bit off. Roughly two people own 200 of the first 480 photos listed on the all-time popular foto list.

This list must need another decade or so to develop. :roll: :!: :lol:

Cheers

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:50 pm

One last post....after carefully reviewing the popular PHOTO 7 day and 90 day lists and the all-time lists for almost 40 minutes on dsl I have come to one conclusion.

:!: GOOOFY :shock: :shock: :shock:

For a higher quality viewing experience, on a more consistant basis, with much more variety, try these popular GALLERY lists out.

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=90

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=all

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:25 pm

it's especially goofy because until now, the results of clicking on "vote for image" weren't displayed anywhere.

so no one has been voting on images except for a bunch of people who have voted for all of their photos. what dedication.

it might be more interesting in a month or so, or maybe it will just sit there being goofy.

-slug

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:29 pm

hnahahahahhaaha...I figured this was a/one of the "crazy" lists. I found one of my photos at about 501. Caught voting for a photoshopping autumn pic or two of mine and a few others. I even see some "heavy hitters" on the list. Probably will still be goofy though, I am not sure I want to place any wagers right away.

Still laughing...

pstewart

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:04 am

You mean guys can't see the artistic merit in this photographic masterpiece from the popular picture list? LOL! Sorry, but in a situation like this one has to laugh to keep from crying! What a sad waste. The idea of pop lists is a good one, but the way it's being abused makes it into a joke and there doesn't seem to be a way out. Too bad. I say just get rid of voting altogether. Just let folks use the random galleries instead. They are more fun anyway...you never know what you're gonna find...it's an adventure! :D

thresholdprod

Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:24 am

One way could be is you can't vote for your own gallery/photo or must have at least a certain number of votes to be shown.

Look at it this way, if its the only way they can try to get people to look at their photos, let them have their moment in the sun. Everyone that has decent shots will be in the longer period galleries. I think every knows those people are just attention whores.

as summed up in someone eles's forum galleries/images
http://www.pbase.com/image/6005416 jokenly aimed at the people who go to great legnths to make the popular lists without great quality

I wished this one would have made the list http://www.pbase.com/image/24149258/
but more than likely something like this will make it first
http://www.pbase.com/image/24174797
http://www.pbase.com/image/24626237

Bill

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Popular Galleries