Board index PBase Feature Requests Popular Galleries

Feature Requests

Popular Galleries

Request changes or modifications.
pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:11 pm

minoltaman wrote:Yeah, post it in the new feature section.

But it don't matter anyway, it's kinda easy to figure out a general assumption of when you are getting a vote or two. Just install the nedsat counter on some pages and then track your galleries movement versus the other galleries situated similarly on the lists. It's pretty easy to tell when a vote comes in if you pay close attention to the neiboring galleries around your popular galleries and the movement of your gallery in relationship to them.

I really don't have the time to do such research. My goal is to avoid the pop lists, not to have to go through them constantly to make a guess as to my vote count. Besides, I'm really more interested in individual image votes, and the pop images list is a useless joke.

I did make a separate thread about it. Maybe we'll at least get to see our vote totals, even if the pop lists have to remain. The vote totals are in the system, so there is a way to let members access them.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:15 pm

I really don't have the time to do such research. My goal is to avoid the pop lists, not to have to go through them constantly to make a guess as to my vote count. Besides, I'm really more interested in individual image votes, and the pop images list is a useless joke.

What is a joke is your assumption. The number of votes is completely useless. The relationship of where your gallery stands amonst your opeers galleries is the point of the popular gallery voting system. Not obtaining some meaningless number. Giving the number away would just tell people how far they have to try and cheat to move there galleries.

Geez, rember what the vote system is for please.

We can get the numbers, but I don't see why we need them.

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:31 pm

minoltaman wrote:Geez, rember what the vote system is for please.

I guess we disagree on what the vote system is there for. I would much prefer to use the votes to rate my own images against each other. I am not so interested in rating them against photos by others. That is just competition for recognition, and that may be a legitimate goal for some people, nothing wrong with it, but it's not what interests me. Rather, I want to know which of my images people like best so I can be guided in the right direction when shooting new pics or doing some new photo art. I get some of this feedback already through the comments, but I know people don't always want to take the time to comment but would take a second to click on the vote button. IF and WHEN voting for an image means something, that is. I had voted for many many images till I realized that those votes were meaningless. If all they do is add to that completely messed up pop images list then why bother?

Votes would have real meaning if we knew our own counts. It's not anyone's business except ours. People don't need pop lists to tell them what to look at or what they will/should like. People do, however, need feedback on their own images, and this would be just one more way to provide that, a very quick and easy way for all.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:36 pm

Posted: 04 Jan 2004 09:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

minoltaman wrote:
Geez, rember what the vote system is for please.

I guess we disagree on what the vote system is there for. I would much prefer to use the votes to rate my own images against each other. I am not so interested in rating them against photos by others. That is just competition for recognition, and that may be a legitimate goal for some people, nothing wrong with it, but it's not what interests me. Rather, I want to know which of my images people like best so I can be guided in the right direction when shooting new pics or doing some new photo art. I get some of this feedback already through the comments, but I know people don't always want to take the time to comment but would take a second to click on the vote button. IF and WHEN voting for an image means something, that is. I had voted for many many images till I realized that those votes were meaningless. If all they do is add to that completely messed up pop images list then why bother?

Votes would have real meaning if we knew our own counts. It's not anyone's business except ours. People don't need pop lists to tell them what to look at or what they will/should like. People do, however, need feedback on their own images, and this would be just one more way to provide that, a very quick and easy way for all.

Blah, blah, blah........you ain't making any sense at all now. You gotta a whole forum of your own. if you don't like this one go there please.

You change your argument every 2.67 posts. I will start posting pretty pictures on this thread if you must continue your bogus/flipflopping banter.

Later much.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:00 pm

and the pop images list is a useless joke.

Please go tell this to all of the wonderful people who's images you have viewed and voted for the last few months PHYLLIS.

You are insulting quite a few people that have worked very hard to make great captures. Then took the time to post them here and earn honest votes. Your statements here are simply appalling and offensive.

Think about the absurdities you have been saying/spewing. Think about all of the great people and photos you are dogging with your bunk statements.

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:09 pm

minoltaman wrote:
and the pop images list is a useless joke.

Please go tell this to all of the wonderful people who's images you have viewed and voted for the last few months PHYLLIS.

I voted for lots, yes, and frankly I was quite upset to see that it was meaningless. When the pop image list finally became available it wasn't much different from the 7-day pop gallery list...full of how-to's and family snapshots, not all top notch photos. Votes as they are now are pretty meaningless, but if we could see our vote counts, they'd have real meaning and be very useful. To me, at least. I'm sure others would like this too. Not so many folks speak up in the forum unfortunately.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:18 pm

Get off Phyllis and go home to inno and make your own head games and bs up there. You know the 90day and all-time lists are valid lists.

When the pop image list finally became available it wasn't much different from the 7-day pop gallery list...full of how-to's and family snapshots, not all top notch photos

WTF are you talking about.?? Finally available??????????? alltime and 90 day full of how to's.

Quit bsing the forum stewart and go back to inno.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

STOP COMPLAING ABOUT THWE POPULAR GALLERIES LISTS YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Obviously you are clueless as to hpow the lists work after a few hundred posts :!: :!: :!: :!:

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:20 pm

Photo sharing allows photographers to learn from each other.
You determine the popularity of galleries by voting on them.
Just click on the Vote for this gallery link at the bottom of a gallery that you like.
There is no limit to how many galleries you can vote for, so vote for anything you like.

The purpose of the popularity ranking is so we can easily find galleries that other people think are worth looking at.
There are no defined criteria, but galleries with good technical or artistic quality will float to the top.

This is still new so there are not yet many votes.
Only votes from a recent period of days are shown by default.
Use the period links to view votes from the last N days, or all days.
Some filters are in place to prevent people from skewing the votes by creating many accounts just to vote on their own galleries.

This is why the popular lists exist. Live with it.

Thx

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:24 pm

Look, Don, I offered my opinion. I am allowed to do that. You don't have to share my opinion, but you don't have to get nasty because we don't see things the same way.

Okay, keep the pop lists if they mean so much to you. I don't really care what happens to the lists. What I DO care about is knowing how many votes my OWN images are getting, because this is info that would be very useful to me as a guide to improving my work.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:29 pm

You should have plenty of info to improve your work with. You have you own gosh dang photo-art/retouching forum with 13,278 articles relating to photo-art and retouching and image comparisons there. Plus you have the guestbook, comment, section, show and tell forum, 90 day list, all-time list and 7day list, and photo hit counts, and gallery hit counts list to work with. Geeeesh, seems like a lot of info to me. Add some stat counters for even more great info.

Glad you may be finished on this subject for a while.

Thx.

jsb

Popular Galleries

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:27 am

I think Phyllis' idea of being able to view the number of votes on your own images has some merit for the reason she mentions. I'd be interested to know which of my photos, if any, attract attention. I'm not saying I'd shoot any differently but I do appreciate feedback and voting is one form.

I'll be more interested in popular galleries or popular photos when the distinction is more clearly based on technical and artistic criteria and not just getting friends or relatives to stuff the ballot box.

Too bad this discussion got a bit nasty. I think a reasonable selection of the best work on pbase would be very interesting and inspiring for many photographers.

Cheers.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:39 am

Why don't you read this thread.

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=2111

Your opinion on how most of the 90 day and all-time list is formulated is incorrect. A person only has so many friends and relatives that can cast votes that count here at pbase. They can only vote once and then they are done. That's why the seven day list is how it is.

Look at the 90 day and all time lists and you can see that friendly relative voting is not what is pushing these galleries to the top of the meaningful lists.

The reason the are at the top of the lists is because they are some of the best pics at pbase in many different topic and catagories. Thats what makes the90day and all-time lists here at pbase so diverse and GREAT.

Let the 7day list people have there day. It is just a puny snapshot in time.

Just check this thread for a discussion on a different level.

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=2111

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:41 am

Too bad this discussion got a bit nasty. I think a reasonable selection of the best work on pbase would be very interesting and inspiring for many photographers.

Take a look at the two lists and you will find exactly what you are looking for. Most of us do at least. Try it out for yourself.

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=90

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=all

There are most definately tons and tons of inspiring work to enjoy on those lists and not much bs. That's a fact.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:43 am

or just click this link and you will get some intersting and relatively decent stuff too. Click the pbase tab to make the pics change.

http://www.pbase.com/

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:44 am

I'd be interested to know which of my photos, if any, attract attention. I'm not saying I'd shoot any differently but I do appreciate feedback and voting is one form.

If you are making the lists you are getting votes. If you are not, your not. It's that simple. You also can tell which photos are hotter than others by the number of unauthorized dierct links and hit counts.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Feature Requests Popular Galleries