Board index PBase Feature Requests New Way to Use Votes

Feature Requests

New Way to Use Votes

Request changes or modifications.
minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:40 am

Gene...so what is your point? I still don't get it and I can tell the message was from stewart. What am I missing here, help me out please.

thx

edit: oops, I might get it now. You are sick of it and don't need any pm's about peoples personal problems...if it is I hear you. If not I'm still confuzed.

gaocus

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:49 am

minoltaman wrote:Gene...so what is your point? I still don't get it and I can tell the message was from stewart. What am I missing here, help me out please.

thx

edit: oops, I might get it now. You are sick of it and don't need any pm's about peoples personal problems...if it is I hear you. If not I'm still confuzed.

My point is you all seem obsessed about this an I don't particualarly want to hear about it. - Gene

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:50 am

That's what I thought I said you said. :lol:

People keep making threads about it though. :( Trying to change an already effective system for its age.

I do not pm or email any members on this subject. That would be just too much.

Cheers

PS I NEVER pm someone to come check my gallery out or vote for it either. NEVER!

gaocus

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:09 am

Well perhaps I overreacted and the PM had good intentions to see whether the old votes counted, but really, does it matter? If an image is good, it shouled make its way to the top again, in spite of whether the system is abused.

And if the old votes were not counted, I imagine they are irretrievable anyhow.

Gene

ugot2bkdng

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:14 am

Gene,

It sounds to me like someone was trying to do an independent test to try and see for themselves how the system really works. I am not sure they were interested in driving their image to the top of a 3 vote cue. :)

But since it wasn't me, I don't really know what the idea was. Just trying to understand what was said.

I can understand your reaction. Like, who needs this debate anyway? I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for my buddy Don. He is such a peach. :)

Chuck
Chuck

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:18 am

@gene
If an image is good, it shouled make its way to the top again, in spite of whether the system is abused.

I could not have said it better myself.

Bravo :D

I am more concerned with sets/galleries/themes/subjects than individual images myself. But once both lists have had some more time and are working relatively nicely it will be cool.

Cheers

pstewart

Re: This has gone too far

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:47 am

gaocus wrote:No offense to whoever meant, it may be well intentioned, but I certainly don't want to receive messages like the following. If the old votes didn't count, so what, everyone is in the same boat. Man, I am just about to start using pbase as storage only and not participate in it interactively :cry: . - Gene

" Hi, you may not recall but you left a nice compliment on this image in my XXXX gallery. The reason I'm writing is because of a suspected problem with the new "popular photo" feature that Slug has re-implemented. Due to the low number of total votes in the "all-time" popular photos lists, and the fact that so many with just 3 votes are there (including some really lame ones of mine, I'm ashamed to say) I can only assume that all the older votes have been lost to this part of the system, which means that if you voted for the picture above when you left your comment, then your vote is not being counted now.

This is really just a test. I am NOT soliciting votes for my image to be on this list...my other bad pics already are...LOL! No, this is an important test, because I have brought this up in the forum and have had no response from Slug...he may not know himself that the system has this problem. I need some evidence to back up my logic, to figure out if my guess is correct. So... would you please go back to this image and click the "vote for image" link under it...whether or not you already did it before? I know you like it, based on your comment, so this is not an attempt to cheat in any way. It's a test of the system, and I'll let you know what if anything I can determine from this.

Thanks.

XXXXX"

Gene, I'm sorry if you misunderstood the purpose of this. I tried to make it clear. You did, after all, leave a compliment under my image, so I assumed you did like it. This was, as I stated clearly above, a test of the system to see what's what with the old votes. I am saddened that they were all lost. But NOT because that means votes for my images were lost, but that all the votes *I* gave to others over these many months no longer count for those deserving people! That bothers me...a lot! See, I can't vote again for them...the system won't let me! So none of my votes for some really terrific photos will ever count! Maybe this sort of thing does not bother you, but it does bother me.

I can't imagine why you would be upset by this PM. I really can't. If you read it well, it explains why I did it. I have started a new thread with a suggestion for Slug which would correct this problem by letting me and others vote again for the images we loved and voted for...votes that were deleted. If you don't care, fine. I do care. And I hope Slug cares enough to try to correct this so that people can get my vote back...and the votes of so many others who liked their photos.

pstewart

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:57 am

minoltaman wrote:Yeah and the number posts have dropped from a massive number to almost nill. quality has done the same.

1. Why are you so snooping around my forum counting posts anyway? Why does it interest you so much? The word "obsessed" comes to my mind.
2. There have been so many new posts at Inno in the last few days I am having trouble keeping up with them.
3. We have gained about 3-5 members per day since you started posting about my site here...coincidence or what? Inno now has 52 more members than it did the last time you claimed it was dying, about two weeks ago. :)
4. You can make up all the lies you want to about my site. The fact still remains that you will never be allowed to post on it, so your sour grapes approach gains you nothing. But it does gain lots of curiosity about my site and has been gaining me tons of new members. For that I guess I have to say, "Thanks, Don!"

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:05 am

blah, blah, blah...here is the real story on the popular photo votes...

some banter between slug and I from a few days ago

Quote:
minoltaman

Posted: 02 Jan 2004 07:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last post....after carefully reviewing the popular PHOTO 7 day and 90 day lists and the all-time lists for almost 40 minutes on dsl I have come to one conclusion.

GOOOFY

For a higher quality viewing experience, on a more consistant basis, with much more variety, try these popular GALLERY lists out.

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=90

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=all

http://www.pbase.com/minoltaman

slug

Posted: 02 Jan 2004 08:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's especially goofy because until now, the results of clicking on "vote for image" weren't displayed anywhere.

so no one has been voting on images except for a bunch of people who have voted for all of their photos. what dedication.

it might be more interesting in a month or so, or maybe it will just sit there being goofy.

-slug

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

thresholdprod

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:24 pm

Great concept idea

For everyone bitching about the quality on the 7 day lists
go to http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=pop ... 8&period=7

and cast votes for the decent photos. We'll be able to bump off the lesser stuff. There are more of us than of them and their buddies

Bill
*Just make sure you vote for all of my photos..... :P

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:26 pm

WOOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm IN! been there....doing that now. (trying my best I mean) :lol:

Cheers

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:31 pm

better yet bill, go to one of the better lists to find the good photos to bump those mostly cruddy photos off the 7day list.....reason being, you won't find to many good photos that are actually on that 7day list yet to vote for. lol

Cheers

thresholdprod

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:17 pm

bit your toungue boy there are some great photos about 1689 "in" they only have one vote. I'm kinda curious now to see how big the list really is. I'm kinda surprised to see some of mine on there, especialy for the age.

And how can say there are no good shoots when the photos of me spanking our go go dancers made the 7 day list. :wink:

Bill

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:24 pm

I think I had one photo at about 500 with 3 votes, a photoshopping autumn pic, then my mouse hand went numb from looking deeper for some of my others, seemed they were not anywhere to be found. Matter-o-fact, with all this list garb going around my freakin mouse hand is about to fall off! I'll make it a point to click farther down the list after I upload some pics today. I know I should be able to find some of my pics somewhere, hopefully I don't have to go all the way to 5000!

ps...you can just send me the url to the gogo dancers and save me the wear and tear on my system... :)

thresholdprod

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:45 pm

http://www.pbase.com/thresholdprod/purgatory11&page=3
there's better spanking shots with blaze http://www.pbase.com/thresholdprod/purgatory11&page=6

I'm looking forward to the feb 14th Purgatory the theme is going to be St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Can't wait for the gangster theme to run amock. Skipping a couple themes/months ahead, we get to august with the Sarfi theme.<begin/ croc hunter voice> uh that dom is sure a mean one.....lets get a closer look..whippies she almost got me..........<end /croc hunter voice>

Bill

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Feature Requests New Way to Use Votes