Board index PBase Feature Requests Can you reset the image vote counter?

Feature Requests

Can you reset the image vote counter?

Request changes or modifications.
pstewart

Can you reset the image vote counter?

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:35 am

I have done a little experiment, and it's just as I suspected. The old votes, those before the "popular photo" section was restarted, have been deleted somehow from the system and only votes since the restart can count. I suspected this was the case when I looked through the "all-time popular photos" list and saw the highest vote getter, Rob's great pic of Afghanistan from a plane, had only 8 votes, and that my silly doilies just uploaded a few days ago were also in the list, with 3 votes each. Note: Now I see they have 4 and some have 5, and *I* never even voted for any of them myself...I think someone is playing a joke and thinks it's funny to keep them there, but I wish people wouldn't do that, since it is not funny and it messes up the list even more.

Now, I have a very popular photo here that has receive a lot of good comments, and it even won Photo of the Day at shutterbugs.biz, so I know people must have voted for it. This is it: http://www.pbase.com/image/23436970

I wrote to all the people who commented and asked them if they'd voted for it as well and to vote if they hadn't, since they obviously liked it. I wanted to see if it would end up with just a few new votes from the folks who gave positive comments but didn't bother to vote, or if, when the folks clicked the vote button to see if they'd voted already (no one could remember that) if any repeat votes would be counted by the system that had deleted the first vote. Here is what I learned from this experiment...

People responded in two ways...some said they'd already voted for it earlier because they got the "yes it's very nice but you've already voted for it" message, so that means there were some old votes. One person said he/she must not have voted when leaving the comment since that vote "took" and was accepted. I didn't hear from two folks yet, but there is enough data already to draw a conclusion. Since there were 7 members in all who left comments and have voted for the image now, it should be showing 8 votes (since I also voted for it when I posted it). It is only showing 3 votes, however, which is enough to get it on the list but is clearly less than the total number of votes it has received, according to those who did the voting.

So, it turns out that my suspicions were correct. All the old votes we placed for images have been lost and don't count in the restarted list. However, we can never vote for those images again! I have voted for so many wonderful images here and now I find that nearly all those votes have been deleted from the system and will never be counted! This saddens me a great deal. I can't even vote NOW for them because the system thinks I am voting a SECOND time when actually it would be the first time...since all the old votes beyond a certain date are gone!

I don't know if the old image vote database is still backed up somewhere or not, but if it is not, then the best, fairest, ONLY thing to do is to reset the "vote for this image" buttons for everyone, so we are allowed to cast our votes again for those great images we loved!

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:55 am

Some banter betwen slug and I a few days ago on this topic.

minoltaman

Posted: 02 Jan 2004 07:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last post....after carefully reviewing the popular PHOTO 7 day and 90 day lists and the all-time lists for almost 40 minutes on dsl I have come to one conclusion.

GOOOFY

For a higher quality viewing experience, on a more consistant basis, with much more variety, try these popular GALLERY lists out.

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=90

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=all

http://www.pbase.com/minoltaman

slug

Posted: 02 Jan 2004 08:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's especially goofy because until now, the results of clicking on "vote for image" weren't displayed anywhere.

so no one has been voting on images except for a bunch of people who have voted for all of their photos. what dedication.

it might be more interesting in a month or so, or maybe it will just sit there being goofy.

-slug

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

pstewart

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:26 am

Don's quote of Slug's message wrote:It's especially goofy because until now, the results of clicking on "vote for image" weren't displayed anywhere.

so no one has been voting on images except for a bunch of people who have voted for all of their photos. what dedication.

it might be more interesting in a month or so, or maybe it will just sit there being goofy.

-slug

Well, I cannot speak for others, but I myself DID vote for many many images over the past few months. NOTE: Just for the record, I did NOT vote for any of my silly doilies...a joke by some folks that is not particularly funny.

I am saddened to learn that all those votes I cast for some truly wonderful images by PBase members will never count. Never. See, my votes have been deleted, and the system will not let me re-vote to replace those lost votes. It keeps insisting I have already voted!

Regardless of what someone may want folks to believe, this is NOT about my own images having votes. Frankly (pardon my lack of humility) I know how good my images are, and I don't need any votes or list recognition to prove it to me or to anyone. So I do not care about votes for myself. NOTE: I did like being in the pop list a few months back because the publicity helped gain new members for my Inno site, but now we are getting so many new members that I really am not interested in recruiting more...wish it would slow down a bit, actually. :)

What I DO CARE ABOUT A LOT is that all those many votes I gave to talented deserving people are now lost forever. I want my vote to count, see? And my guess is that most folks who took the time to vote would feel the same way. Our votes were wasted. They are lost and can't be replaced.

However, if Slug would just reset the "vote for image" button THEN I could go back and cast those votes again for those special pics in galleries of all the folks in my "favorite artists" list. I think this is a reasonable request, and one that should not be hard to implement at all.

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:28 am

I don't know if the old image vote database is still backed up somewhere or not, but if it is not, then the best, fairest, ONLY thing to do is to reset the "vote for this image" buttons for everyone, so we are allowed to cast our votes again for those great images we loved!

duuuhhhh...if he resets the vote counter all of the votes from the past few days when they meant something would be lost. :lol: :D :D Like all of the votes I cast today and yesterday. :lol: :lol:

Seems like you sure are concerned with the voting system you are not concerned about.
Last edited by minoltaman on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:30 am

the banter again...

Quote:
minoltaman

One last post....after carefully reviewing the popular PHOTO 7 day and 90 day lists and the all-time lists for almost 40 minutes on dsl I have come to one conclusion.

GOOOFY

For a higher quality viewing experience, on a more consistant basis, with much more variety, try these popular GALLERY lists out.

slug

it's especially goofy because until now, the results of clicking on "vote for image" weren't displayed anywhere.

-slug

pstewart

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:34 am

minoltaman wrote:duuuhhhh...if he resets the vote counter all of the votes from the past few days when they meeant something would be lost. Like all of the votes I cast today and yesterday.

That's the loss of about 3-5 votes, mostly for my stupid doilies and others' Xmas snapshots and car engines that don't even belong there. This vs. possibly dozens or even hundreds of votes over the past months that are irreplaceable, since those of us who placed them cannot replace them.

If it's reset, YOU can redo those few votes you cast over today and yesterday. If it's not reset, WE can't redo the hundreds we cast over the past several months! Which sounds less fair?

So, the advantage is clear. Let's start fresh and we ALL can vote, not just the folks who didn't click "vote for image" before and now are getting pics of their dog and car engines in the pop list. Those of us who really DID care about rewarding good work over the months with our votes will be permitted to redo those votes. It will be 1) certainly more than 3 votes per image and 2) will most likely reflect an accumulation of votes for GOOD images, since they were cast over a long period by so many different people...and like me I'll bet most will be anxious to go back and replace those lost votes!
Last edited by pstewart on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:40 am

Quote:
Quote:
minoltaman

GOOOFY

slug

-slug

slug did not say he deleted any votes and if you look at the list it seems to be quite quite clear that the votes seem to still be there because ppls complete libraires have 4, 3 and 2 votes each. Clearly they voted for themselves from one two or three locations or had someone do it for them. You saw the same type of numbers before slug started advertising the list again. According to slugs post, the previous votes, if there were any tabulated, did not get deleted. and...one of my photoshopping autumn pics has 3 votes on it. It's a little out of season to pick up those votes in the last week. Just becuse you may have popular galleries and comments does not nean you have a boatload of individual image votes.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Can you reset the image vote counter?