Board index PBase Feature Requests Non-paying members

Feature Requests

Non-paying members

Request changes or modifications.
srijith

Non-paying members

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:18 pm

Non-paying members, either those who are still testing their 30-day free period or those who have decided not to pay up after that, should not be allowed to post on pbase forum, nor be allowed to cast votes.

This might be helpful in bringing down the abuse of the system.
Last edited by srijith on Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thresholdprod

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:54 pm

I object to this and the logic behind it.

Where else are they going to get the simple answers sometimes simple (non technical) minds need? It will just take moderation in full effect, whack off the offeneders privileges to post or approve each one. We have a couple of bad trolls.We aren't over run by spammers and idiots yet. Its just pretty much the ones replying to each other and attacking each other. From what I read they have had pissing wars across a couple of different sites and now have brought here because its being tolerated.

Once again I repeat
Its not "nonpaying" memebers who are neccessarily the problems.
Please don't punish the innocent because of a few assholes.

Hey Srijith,

Call a sundown (halt/stop) to the attacks and replies. Moderate anyone who doesn't obey this ruling. It does wonders on several yahoo groups I run.Its not like you are deleting the ability to share images just the ability to post garbage

Bill

olliemaitland

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:12 pm

Yeah i agree with Bill... non-paying member generally only ask questions about pbase...

I guess it maybe an option to make a pbase discussion forum and then be stricter with the other forums (which currently are ridiculous)

There isnt any point pissing off potential clients just for the sake of what is basically a Q&A forum.
Last edited by olliemaitland on Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

srijith

My decision

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:22 pm

Once in a while I make impulsive decisions. And this one is.

Until I am asked not-to by pbase team, I will be deleting all messages in all forums that I don't think is in tune with the purpose of the forum. I will not wait to see how the argument plays out, nor who is right or wrong.

All PMs requesting undelete/re-consideration will not be replied unless I really fell I have made a mistake (which I rarely do :))

By the power of my little finger.

thresholdprod

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:31 pm

RUN
Srijith has an itchy delete finger.. :D :D :D

Go for it. It will make things better.And hopefully piss off certain people that there posts keep getting deleted and they will leave. Besides I don't see how the pbase team could mad at you for stopping the ugliness.

Bill

Then again one section of the forum that is just for flames could be fun....or atleast let me steal good insults for staff meetings. Calling someone normal or nice is just getting old :twisted:

minoltaman

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:50 pm

maybe just allow the non members to post to the help forum...why let freeloaders advertise in show-and-tell on slugs dime?

srijith

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:52 pm

On second thought I request was not good. Non-paying members may and will have genuine help questions and feature requests to make.

As long as I have my little finger, it should be alright now ;)

pstewart

Re: My decision

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:10 am

srijith wrote:Until I am asked not-to by pbase team, I will be deleting all messages in all forums that I don't think is in tune with the purpose of the forum.

Thank you thank you thank you! Now when I start a thread I needn't worry about someone hijacking it with slanderous off-topic attacks. I may actually be allowed to discuss photos on a photo site again! :)

minoltaman

why not this

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:13 am

maybe just allow the non members to post to the help forum...why let freeloaders advertise in show-and-tell on slugs dime?

srijith

Re: why not this

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:19 am

minoltaman wrote:

That might be a good suggestion. I know of some non-paying members (whose free period have lapsed) who keep advertising their pics on Show and Tell. But I am not sure of how closely the pbase user management system and the forum user system is coupled together to be able to do this selective disabling.

minoltaman

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:40 am

I dunno what kind of contol panel they are looking at either. I have seen simple forums with that capability though, and used them. Not adjustable by the global moderatorm but easily adjustable by admin itself.

srijith

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:15 am

Yes forums have that ability, but to tie that to the pbase.com member db is the tricky part. I really can't see the admins look at each account's status one by one and activate-deactivate their pbase forum rights.

ilanphoto

Re: My decision

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:10 pm

srijith wrote:Until I am asked not-to by pbase team, I will be deleting all messages in all forums that I don't think is in tune with the purpose of the forum. I will not wait to see how the argument plays out, nor who is right or wrong.

All PMs requesting undelete/re-consideration will not be replied unless I really fell I have made a mistake (which I rarely do :))

By the power of my little finger.

Go for it. You have my full support for whatever it is worth

Maybe blocking guests from posting in the forum is good but I guess they will just go and open a trial account.
I don't think blocking trial accounts is good for business as I came back to purchase disk space here more than a year after I started my trial account

eric_s

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:59 pm

Well, I sure appreciate the forum being open to the trial members. I really appreciate the fast and helpful responses that I've received to my questions. Thank you.

srijith

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:25 pm

eric_s wrote:Well, I sure appreciate the forum being open to the trial members. I really appreciate the fast and helpful responses that I've received to my questions. Thank you.

So I guess you will be becoming a paid members soon? :)

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Non-paying members