Board index PBase Feature Requests Site Improvements seem Slow?

Feature Requests

Site Improvements seem Slow?

Request changes or modifications.
jackcnd

Site Improvements seem Slow?

Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:37 pm

I really like the ease of use Pbase offers, and the reasonable cost. But it seems that requested features for improvment are very slow to happen. Couple of examples...

1) Process xmp exif data in jpgs produced by Photoshop CS. This feature would be a great benefit to many users, one even posted some sample code to do it, but it has not been implemented.

2) Allow for placing new photos at the start of a gallery, or at least be able to quickly automate renumbering of existing photos.

3) Password protect private galleries.

Maybe I have the wrong impression, but any comments?

srijith

Post Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:42 pm

Rest assured that the pbase team are working on most of your requests. The problem they face sometimes is that sone of the requested features were never thought about when designing the system and hence it becomes very difficult to implement them. DOn't ask me for specificcs 'cos I don't know them myself.

But slug, email and others(?) are hard at work trying to get improvements out as fast as they can. They are working on some user management issues now which hopefully will be out soon.

Recently they released the recompression feature and the ability to delete the original image.

joesimages

Re: Site Improvements seem Slow?

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:41 am

jackcnd wrote:I really like the ease of use Pbase offers, and the reasonable cost. But it seems that requested features for improvment are very slow to happen. Couple of examples...

1) Process xmp exif data in jpgs produced by Photoshop CS. This feature would be a great benefit to many users, one even posted some sample code to do it, but it has not been implemented.

2) Allow for placing new photos at the start of a gallery, or at least be able to quickly automate renumbering of existing photos.

3) Password protect private galleries.

Maybe I have the wrong impression, but any comments?

I agree 100%...way too slow.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:51 am

just right for me, for the record

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:54 am

i'm glad the current complaint is that feature development is too slow and not the site performance is too slow.
on that note, we'll be installing another dell webserver this week to provide some more redundancy and performance head room.
also replacing the internal networking with all gigabit since the existing switches are saturated with nfs/database traffic.
also another 3TB of disks are on order.

anyway, we have a bunch of new/improved features in progress which will be appearing soon. wish they'd been faster in coming, but as always, the priority has needed to be keeping the site up, fast, and backed up.

-slug

pmphotos

I really appreciate that slug...

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:28 am

Many people would feel like they were being attacked by such a post (whether or not it's warranted), but thank you for your response.

I too would like to see many new features (passwords, domains, print ordering) but I agree with you 100% that keeping the site fast and BACKED UP must be your first priority. I am very thankful for your attitude on this.

Paul

pstewart

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:55 pm

slug wrote:but as always, the priority has needed to be keeping the site up, fast, and backed up.

Well it's nice and fast for me and hasn't ever gone down that I can recall, so thank you! As for backing up, that's an important one...when is it backed up? How often? Matt backs up my site once a day in the morning and our host company backs up everything daily as well, during the night. Do we have double back ups here too? I'm sure you are very careful about this, but with all these photos, it would just give me peace of mind to know how often back-ups are done. Thanks.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Site Improvements seem Slow?