Board index PBase Feature Requests PBase Plug-in for Aperture

Feature Requests

PBase Plug-in for Aperture

Request changes or modifications.
jwarthman

PBase Plug-in for Aperture

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:42 pm

Aperture 1.5 included several important enhancements, including the ability to directly upload images to various web-based galleries. This feature is includes an extensible Plug-In architecture and API, and Apple provides a software development kit to enable people to create plugins.

Initially, Aperture users can upload directly to Flickr and a handful of other services.

I'd really like to be able to upload my images from Aperture directly to PBase! Does anyone know of plans to implement a PBase plugin?

You can read more about this here:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/exportapi.html

Enjoy!

-- Jim

luddify

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:15 pm

Yes, me too! Anyone know of any plans for one? It seems like the other hosting sites have them and I don't want to switch from PBase.

jwarthman

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:00 pm

There is now more than one plugin for uploading directly to Flickr from Aperture.

I don't particularly want to jump ship, but there's been absolutely NO feedback from pBase!

gavia_immer

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:32 pm

jwarthman wrote:There is now more than one plugin for uploading directly to Flickr from Aperture.

I don't particularly want to jump ship, but there's been absolutely NO feedback from pBase!

I wouldn't look to PBase for this tool. It is unreasonable to think they are goiing to put writing plugins for specific optional software used by a minority of their users at the top of their priority list (I rather they fix the problem with navigation when images are shared between galleries which is far more important). It is certainly possible they will create one especially if they too use Aperture but you should not expect it.

Nor did Flickr. The link you provide for the Flickr plugin appears to have been written by a Flickr end user who happens to use Macs and program Mac software. It is a user contributed plugin without any official Flickr support or development. The thing to do would be to try to rally the Mac/Aperture users on PBase to do the same. There maybe someone who is already considering this or even working on it. It was by scratching a personal itch that it got done for Flickr. It will take the same to get it done for PBase more than likely.

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:05 pm

We would love to have a PBase plugin for Aperture, but these plugins are written in Objective-C which we would of course have to learn first. I downloaded the Aperture plugin API, and I don't think it's a trivial implementation for a non-native Objective-C programmer.

If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, we'd be interested in hearing from you.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:30 pm

Just wanted to add to Chris's note.
The lack of an PBase Aperture plugin is not for lack of interest on our part.
In fact, half the reason I updated my Mac desktop machine a few months ago was so that I could run Aperture and work on integration.
It's just a matter of priority. We've been focusing on bringing our framing and printing services online. An Aperture plugin is definitely on the to-do list, but we have a few features to work on first.

-slug

dmholmes

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Where can I find the info for the PBase API?

dmholmes

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:21 pm

dmholmes wrote:Where can I find the info for the PBase API?

Nobody? I have an Aperture export plugin for SmugMug, davidholmes.org, and I'm interested in doing one for PBase. Is the PBase API not publicly available?

dmholmes

ApertureToPBase 0.10

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:06 am

http://davidholmes.org/aperture-to-pbase version 0.10 is available for download. Rough around the edges, just trying to guage interest. Please note:
- uploads only to root gallery
- no gallery creation yet
- photo captions hardcoded to photo.jpg

Comments/suggestions welcome,
David

orillia

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Does this work in Windows?

dmholmes

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:09 pm

orillia wrote:Does this work in Windows?

No, sorry. This plug-in is for Aperture, Apple's professional image processing application for Macintosh OS X (apple.com/aperture).

dmholmes

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:44 am

Version 0.11 is available.

- title, caption, keywords set from IPTC metadata
- upload to selected album
- checkbox to open album after export

dmholmes

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:01 am

ApertureToPBase version 0.12 is available. This update adds per image progress indicator and some minor UI work. Hope to have new album/gallery creation in next one.

Thanks,
David

timothynosenzo

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:02 pm

David, thank you for putting this together. Seems to work really well so far! I'll be sure to check back for any updates.

Tim

jwarthman

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:34 am

David,
Thanks very much for doing this plugin!

I must say, I really like the fact that I can select from my export presets. This is going to be a veeeery useful plugin!

I'm curious if it's gaining in popularity - can you say how many downloads you've had?

In any case, I tried it for the first time tonight, and saw two anomalies that I figured you would want to know about. First, after I logged into pBase with the plugin, I couldn't see my list of galleries. When I clicked the popup, nothing happened. No gallery was displayed on the button.

Second, as soon as I pressed "Export", Aperture crashed. I sent the report to Apple, for what it's worth.

Oh,, I'm running version .13 with Aperture 1.5.2.

Enjoy!

-- Jim

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests PBase Plug-in for Aperture