Board index PBase Feature Requests A simple comment edit request

Feature Requests

A simple comment edit request

Request changes or modifications.
smith_xt

A simple comment edit request

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Would it be possible to add the option for the member who post a comment about ones photo to be able to edit his message for spelling or punctuation errors, once its been posted? Of course you would have to a PBase member and logged in.

Thanks

smith_xt

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 am

nobody home :?:

srijith

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:08 am

Similar request has been raised by couple of others earlier. No response from the admins though.

arjunrc

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:51 pm

The problem I forsee is similar to what happens here in the forums. Someone posts something that is flamebait or irks other people, a lot of people respond and the original poster goes ahead and either blanks out his comment or changes it in a way that changes the intent.

Even though many will use it to correct their emails for spelling and typos, how do you avoid the former ?

I personally think the correct way to do it is to allow others to edit their own comments, but any edit will first be approved by the owner of the gallery where the comment is left. If the edit is not approved, the original comment remains. I feel that once a comment is posted by A on B's gallery, it is B's right, not A's, to allow for changes.

regds
arjun

madlights

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:55 pm

If I remember correctly there used to be a way (a way that took me a while to figure out) when I first came on PBase to do this....but you could only edit your own comments for a certain brief period of time, like 1/2 an hour or something. I wished this could be re instituted. It would help with the missing flame-bait lead ins that arjun mentions, and it certainly would make me look like a much more intelligent person grammatically and spelling wise :D

matiasasun

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 pm

madlights wrote:...and it certainly would make me look like a much more intelligent person grammatically and spelling wise :D

yeha that wuold be great for uz, non-nglish speaquers too!

Serously, seems like a good idea. Could be a good improve.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

smith_xt

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:57 pm

So PBase staff is this a doable thing?

thanks

smith_xt

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:55 pm

smith_xt wrote:So PBase staff is this a doable thing?

thanks

:roll:

smith_xt

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:24 am

still no PBase feedback on this?

smith_xt

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Why does this forum section even exist if suggestions go unread or ignored? ... :?

smith_xt

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:41 am

Its now April the 4th and still no official input into this ... :roll:

madlights

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:15 am

It's got to be doable since it was done a couple of years ago. There was a little trick to it...which escapes me now... but you could edit your own posts for about 1/2 an hour if I remember correctly. Much as it seems you can edit your forum posts for a very brief period, without the edit marker showing up...if I'm correct (I hope I am) :lol: So it can be done, maybe no one wants to do it. Just to check...I edited this sentence twice within 60 seconds or so, We'll see if the edit marker comes up on my re-edit. Nope.

455rocket

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:51 pm

The old system did allow you to edit your comments at least for a short period or until somebody commented on you comment, but I think that has long gone. However, the spelling thing is now no problem if you just use the new Firefox 2 web browser as I discovered today it checks your spelling for you..... something I for one really needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dang

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:58 pm

455rocket wrote:
the new Firefox 2 web browser as I discovered today it checks your spelling

There's a lot of great add on's they have, including a nice color picker called "ColorZilla", translators and other goodies. I've used them for awhile, and couldn't get by without them now.

Just in case anyone using Firefox didn't know, the newest version is 2.0.0.3. So if you haven't check in a couple of months, they've added some additional security to it.

Back to the threads topic..
This has been an ongoing request for a long time now, without comment. I know the printing service has been a priority, but it would be nice to have an update on how things are going. Maybe Brian, or Molly could share something if they're aware?

Thanks!

madlights

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:44 am

455rocket wrote:The old system did allow you to edit your comments at least for a short period or until somebody commented on you comment, but I think that has long gone. However, the spelling thing is now no problem if you just use the new Firefox 2 web browser as I discovered today it checks your spelling for you..... something I for one really needed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep it's great, now instead of my spelling before I post I can concentrate on my grammar...I don't think anything can correct that, even the ability to edit my comments...it seemed sometimes I'd just make them worser. :D

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests A simple comment edit request