Board index PBase Feature Requests Google and pbase: Looking for solution to a BIG Problem

Feature Requests

Google and pbase: Looking for solution to a BIG Problem

Request changes or modifications.
yalop

Google and pbase: Looking for solution to a BIG Problem

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:08 am

Google recently upgraded their image search engine.

If you enter a key word (in images search) say: Garden they find photos that are called "garden.jpg". Since in pabse all the files get a serila number (do a save picture as and see what i mean) photos on pbase will not show up up on searches in Google image section.

On the text section of google it is fine. If you do a search on something like: Israel Security fence photos - you will get one of my galleries on pabse as part of the top 10 but similar search on images and you will not see any pabse photo.

alangrant

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:37 pm

I don't think the problem is with the serial number. The number is added to the start of the original file name, it doesn't replace it completely.

For example I did a Google image search for "prague_066", which succeeded in finding an image of mine with the PBase name 16565731.prague_066.jpg. Obviously it's unlikely someone would actually search for prague_066, but I think it illustrates the principle. Presumably it also works if you search for "Prague" but I didn't fancy checking 218,000 images to make sure!

However this only seems to work for my Prague gallery - I tried something similar with a few of my other galleries and nothing came up. I suppose this one gallery has been indexed by Google (for some unknown reason) and the others haven't. So your problem may relate to Google's indexing rather than file names.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

Board index PBase Feature Requests Google and pbase: Looking for solution to a BIG Problem