Board index PBase Feature Requests PBASE SHOULD SUPPORT QTVR PANORAMA MOVIES

Feature Requests

PBASE SHOULD SUPPORT QTVR PANORAMA MOVIES

Request changes or modifications.
brenton

PBASE SHOULD SUPPORT QTVR PANORAMA MOVIES

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:15 am

I do a lot of panoramic photography, stitching images together etc,etc, i think it would be great if it was possible for me to display these images as quicktime VR movies in my pbase galleries. It's such a great way to display images over the net if done correctly, and adds a sense of interactivity to a still image.
Is this a possibility in the future?

Brenton.

srijith

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:11 am

I dont think pbase has any plans to support movie format. But I could be completely off :P

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:14 am

on the subject of supporting more types of files.

a couple of years ago, we had big problems with mp3s being hosted on PBase which could cause incredible bandwidth usage without warning.

since then i'm somewhat afraid of non image files.

but .docs, .pdfs, .mpgs, .avis, etc etc could all be useful.

i'm not making any promises on when this would happen, but it's definitely a possibility.

i don't know much about QTVR files. have one you could send to me for testing? any info on how to put one on an html page would be helpful too.
send it to help@pbase.com

-slug

srijith

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:18 am

slug wrote:on the subject of supporting more types of files.

a couple of years ago, we had big problems with mp3s being hosted on PBase which could cause incredible bandwidth usage without warning.

since then i'm somewhat afraid of non image files.

but .docs, .pdfs, .mpgs, .avis, etc etc could all be useful.

Confused.. wont the ability to upload mpgs and avis be iniviting for trouble both legally and bandwidth related?

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:27 am

i'm still afraid of mpgs and avis. mostly for bandwidth reasons.
i'm also afraid of seemingly safe formats like pdf and doc because it's possible to embed all kinds of stuff in them.
had this problem in various forms with people embedding/appending mp3 files to jpgs so that they behaved like a jpg but the image was just a carrier for the mp3.

but qtvr seems fairly safe.

baja_traveler

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:38 pm

It would be really cool though to be able to post a quicktime slide show file. I make these all the time with subject related music and send them to friends. Agreed though - they can get big on the band width side. Mine seem to average about 3-5 megs depending on length.

gurl

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:45 am

I came there because I wanted to post a QTVR image...
    I believe panoramas and mosaics are plain photos, not something special to be found only on specialized "panorama photography" sites.
    Photos with technical comments and tutorials (HTML, PDF) would be a nice complement for this site but they perhaps should be reviewed by some editor and - I'm sure of that from experience on previous http://www.photosig.com - some indexed search would be needed.

Conclusion ? photography on the Web still in it's infancy !

anhamann

QTVR Panoramas may be posted as simple JPGs

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:00 pm

Hey Slug,

I also think this would be a great idea. Panorama "movies" actually don't require any questionable/abusable file formats. It can be done with a regular JPG plus a GPL licenced Java applet that is 40kb in size, so there are no problems with bandwidth or anything.

Info about the PTViewer here:
http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/

I have some of my own panoramas on pbase here:
http://www.pbase.com/anhamann/bc_landscapes

and exactly the same images but with the applet for "movie mode" here:
http://genetics.forestry.ubc.ca/hamann/ ... cESSF.html

It would be great if this could be implemented on pbase.
Cheers, Andy

Board index PBase Feature Requests PBASE SHOULD SUPPORT QTVR PANORAMA MOVIES