Board index PBase Feature Requests Nudes on the front page

Feature Requests

Nudes on the front page

Request changes or modifications.
areid

Nudes on the front page

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:30 pm

I know it would probably be tough to eliminate, but as one who frequently surfs Pbase from work, is there any way to get rid of the nudes on the front page example galleries? I'm not saying they shouldn't be anywhere else but the front page is gonna get me in trouble! :)

vhansen

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:26 am

I agree. I'd rather not see nudes, unless I choose to.

gpaai

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:33 pm

I also agree!
I love photoshopography.......

ilanphoto

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:02 pm

Well I chose to see nudes....

And now we are going to start a long and meaningless argument about what is defined as nudity. In my religion the elbow is considered over exposure in others the face is covered so where do we stop.

Maybe no people? well then I have some flowers that are more erotic then most of the nudes I have seen on this site conclusion - no flowers.

So what are we left with?

In short, any means of censorship is bad and should not be allowed. Oh yes I am very much aware that this statement of mine can be has been and will be abused as well but I still find the best way to do it.

An old wise man once said - "live and let live"

shaun

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:19 am

Any of the nudes shown on the front page are extracted from the
popular galleries list... so, generally any nudity seen there is usually
in good taste.... However, I'm sure that from time to time some filth
might get voted up there... So, I do kinda see your point.

vhansen

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:34 am

A filter option would be nice.
Perhaps this can be suggested in Features request.

areid

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:08 am

ilanphoto wrote:Well I chose to see nudes....

And now we are going to start a long and meaningless argument about what is defined as nudity. In my religion the elbow is considered over exposure in others the face is covered so where do we stop.

Maybe no people? well then I have some flowers that are more erotic then most of the nudes I have seen on this site conclusion - no flowers.

So what are we left with?

In short, any means of censorship is bad and should not be allowed. Oh yes I am very much aware that this statement of mine can be has been and will be abused as well but I still find the best way to do it.

An old wise man once said - "live and let live"

Don't worry, Ilan. I'm not asking to have the breasts removed from this site. I just said the FRONT PAGE of the site. How is that "meaningless"? As I said, from time to time I'll check out Pbase from work. I don't know about your office but I don't think the boss or a female co-worker would appreciate seeing a naked man or woman staring at them from my computer screen.

Let me repeat myself in case you are still confused: I did NOT ask for the nudity to be removed from the Pbase site. Only the front page. I realize that probably won't happen because of the way the photos are generated to rotate on the front page.

I hope that cleared up any confusion you might have. The t&a shall live on.

allen

PS And I know the other answer will be: don't check pbase while at work.

ilanphoto

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:06 am

areid wrote:PS And I know the other answer will be: don't check pbase while at work.

No way that I will say such a thing. I am now at work and looking at Pbase is much more fun than work. :lol:

I am happy to understand you better now and I can leave with such a solution as it would be a win win situation. But it might be a difficult task technically. as the definition of nudity is in the eyes of the beholder

arjunrc

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:45 pm

ilanphoto wrote:But it might be a difficult task technically. as the definition of nudity is in the eyes of the beholder

Right - again from a 'lets address a problem we can solve' department,
its very very difficult for an implementor to really identify which image is nude and which is not. One way this can be done is if the image owner provides enough keywords to the image like 'naked' 'nude' etc. so that it can be idenfied. However, as you know, there are many images that dont contain such identifiers.
(As an example, take images.google.com -> it has an option of safe search, but even when that is enabled, it does produce several nude pictures).

So, instead of trying to filter nudes, if this feature at all is worth providing, maybe once can consider simply giving each user an option whether s/he wants to see the random photos in the front page of his/her page or not.

And before there are a flurry of responses stating this is undue censorship, please note the key word 'user _option_' - its not enforced - its your choice whether to enable it for yourself or not.

regds
arjun

Board index PBase Feature Requests Nudes on the front page