Board index PBase Feature Requests large not large enough?

Feature Requests

large not large enough?

Request changes or modifications.
polas

large not large enough?

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:57 am

I frequently need a size which is above large but it is not original. Nowadays screens have quite big resolution and to display images it would be cool to get them in 1024 or 1280 size.

and.. is medium really medium? it is tiny...

maybe we could get one more size to choose from? or maybe current sizes should be enlarged? just a thought :-)

clam

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:49 pm

I agree with this.

And the pbase reduction algorithm to reduce to 'large' from
big originals is inadequate.

I often reduce my originals to size
of 1024 or 1280 first before uploading to pbase,
this cut down the upload time also.

Allowing display of larger or original image size is one of the advantage
pbase stand out against all these other picture sharing website.
(i think).

It would be nice if pbase can provide a way to set 'original' as the
default size when images are viewed. The 'large' is currently the
defualt and people need to actively go pick the original before the
size is changed.

tgriffen

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Count me in. Limiting large to 800 these days is silly. No one uses monitors smaller than 1024. Either provide a way to display original, or raise large to 1024, or better yet, to 1280. The insipid changing of images in display to "large" deteriorates their display quality and subverts the purpose of presenting your photos to others.

scatts

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:45 am

I meant to comment on this as well. Certainly, more flexibility allowing the member to decide what sizes should be shown has to be a good thing. If this is not possible, then what I'm missing most is something between the current medium and large. A bigger large would not be of use to me as with a 17" monitor I already need to use the F11 button to browse that size comfortably.

tgriffen

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:27 pm

scatts wrote:A bigger large would not be of use to me as with a 17" monitor I already need to use the F11 button to browse that size comfortably.

But even on a 17" monitor, you are not using a resolution smaller than 1024, are you?

Also, would you rather see a Pbase-compressed image (deteriorated), or an image finished by the author? I strongly believe it should be left to the author.

ernst

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:55 am

For me, the current large size is big enough, I'd evenopt for a size between medium and large.
I've seen people printing some of my photos (800 pixels) and they were happy with the result! :evil:

tgriffen

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:19 am

So what's stopping you from posting 800-sized photos? Why would the ability to display larger photos in any way hurt your desire to display only smaller ones?

dux

Re: large not large enough?

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:06 am

I'm also waiting to get bigger than 800.
Someday we'll see this:

Other sizes (longest side):
Thumbnail 640 800 1024 1200 1600 1920

sheila

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:53 pm

I would NOT post images larger than 800 as you are asking to get them nicked! Image theft is endemic on PBase (and other photo sharing sites) and the smaller the image, the less likely they will be used illegally. Just my two cents.

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

waggonerphotos

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:15 am

Totally agree with Sheila, could not have said it better! Posting anything larger than 800 only invites use by someone who is not authorized for that use. Theft of intellectual property is prevalent on the internet why encourage it.
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

lucidity

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 pm

Still, people want the option so why not have it?

Board index PBase Feature Requests large not large enough?