Board index PBase Feature Requests Random pictures

Feature Requests

Random pictures

Request changes or modifications.
armalite44

Random pictures

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:37 am

I should have posted this here to begin with but posted in Q&A. I'll go back there and delete my post.

Until I saw this post yesterday, I never knew that even if I had a password protected gallery that an image could still show up on random for the world to see. I always thought I saw "MY" random images but until I checked using IE where I wasn't logged in I never knew that the images I thought were protected really were not. I have a ton of little kids in my galleries that are playing sports and some family stuff and I thought they were safe. Well I guess I didn't read the fine print. Now nobody can see my sports images after I made them non public unless I send each and everyone of them the separate gallery links and I don't have all of their email address.

I do have to say that Brian responded to my question about this yesterday pretty darn quick but unless I can make my galleries public but password protected where nobody but those that I give the password to can see the images then I'm going to have to find another hosting service. I really like Pbase and would like to continue to support Pbase but I cannot if my images are not safe from certain people. These parents trusted me to put their kids pics up here after I told them they would be password protected but they weren't.

I vote for getting rid of the random images completely and I wonder how many other subscribers didn't understand this.

scatts

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:03 am

I didn't know that happened and it does sound stupid. Although it doesn't bother me right now it might later.

My biggest problem with random images is that the software seems to be able to hunt out all the worst shots! :)

armalite44

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:30 pm

LOL
John

andrys

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:04 pm

scatts wrote: ...
My biggest problem with random images is that the software seems to be able to hunt out all the worst shots! :)

Ohhh! You are not alone. That was hilarious. Thanks for the chuckle.

akmc_in_au

Re: Random pictures

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:16 pm

armalite44 wrote:I vote for getting rid of the random images completely and I wonder how many other subscribers didn't understand this.

Interesting; I saw a post in Q&A from another PBaser asking for the feature to be disabled. I didn't get why since I had always found the feature to be fairly inoffensive, but I see from your post what the problem with it is.

I like the feature generally (even though it gives weird results when it combines pano shots with non-pano ones) since it can give you an instant overview of the sort of subjects that the photographer shoots.

My own vote would therefore be for the user to be able to disable it in their profile according to choice (considering how customisable pBase is (the reason that I joined, actually) I'm surprised that this isn't already the case), but for it to respect the password protection of galleries and not show any shots which are in a protected gallery.

This would probably mean adding some kind of tag/field within the database to indicate that the shot is inside a protected gallery, but I wouldn't imagine that that would be too hard.

armalite44

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:21 am

Only way to disable it is to make certain galleries "non public". It really does not make any sense at all to allow random to show password protected images. I think I finally got it fixed but boy it was a PITA :)
John

jm_foret

Re: Random pictures

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:54 pm

Random images are still showing protected ones and once you click on the image you enter the gallery and can visit the rest, simply by using the next and previous button.

I also discovered that Goggle is indexing the images (using the title, caption information we provide) ... even the protected ones and if this link shows up in a Goggle list it also gives access to a "protected" image.

This is not acceptable! I always thought the protection mechanism would prevent this..

I suggest to be able to control if random images are active or not on a user profile, and if they are to prevent protected images to become visible.

Thank you.
Jean-Marie Foret

Board index PBase Feature Requests Random pictures