Board index PBase Feature Requests sell photo option for pbase coming soon? (as promised)

Feature Requests

sell photo option for pbase coming soon? (as promised)

Request changes or modifications.
reneg

Re: sell photo option for pbase coming soon? (as promised)

Post Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 pm

It is doable right now.

Look at this link in the HTML Forum: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41169

rollosphotos gives a solution.

mart_williams

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 pm

I've been with pbase for about 5 or 6 years and while I still like the simplicity and useabilty of the galleries, I'm now in the process of moving over to zenfolio now that they have a UK print fullfillment partner, plus you can use your own custom price lists to include any of the products their partners (photobox and someone else) plus your own products where you say print pictures yourself or use another printer. So far, I'm really liking what I see with zenfolio, particularly because I need to be able sell images now so the shopping cart and print fullfilment integration are extremely usefull. This is a more expensive option, particularly if you go for the premium account as I have, but you do get unlimited storage. I have tied my zenfolio galleries into my own web page quite nicely too and I've been able to very quickly and nicely create embedable slideshows that I've integrated into my website front end and use to showcase my best images to entice visitors/potential customers in. Viewing the images in your galleries is very nice too, better than pbase, although I have always though pbase did that very well too.

As someone else has mentioned, inovation is key here, pbase needs to move with the times and introduce new features, even if they don't intend to support selling of prints etc, they need to have an ongoing commitment to improving the image viewing experience and owner user experience. In the years I've been with pbase I've not seen a great deal of change, I have felt that pbase represented good value as a basic photo hosting service but there are better options for me out there now and I no longer point anyone or anything to the galleries I have here, which I will alllow to be deleted when my subscrition ends in the next year.

Feel free to use my referal code if you want to sign up with zenfolio SJQ-ZH8-2DJ and get $5 off

Regards

Mart

madlights

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 pm

I've taken a look at Redbubble and it looks pretty good...haven't had the time to set up anything there yet. The thing about PBase is how will they do it? If full res images are in locked/secure galleries, it doesn't take many full resolution images from modern DSLR's to exceed the 500mb...on the other hand if you store the images on your computer and PBase requests them, then what if you're on vacation etc. Or your ISP flakes out, like mine did a few weeks back? So there'd almost have to be a pricing restructure, they'd almost have to institute a tiered system, as some other sites have I'd think?

ac

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 pm

Agree Madlights.
I think PBase doesn't yet realize that the world has changed since the eighties. We don't speak anymore in Megabytes, but in Gigabytes.
PBase storage space is indeed 0,5 Mb. 0,5 !!! Go on a shoot with a 528 Kb card ?
On my computer I have now 3 Terabytes storage space.
Anyway, 0.5 Gb is... Well :lol:

halesr

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:24 pm

madlights wrote:I've taken a look at Redbubble and it looks pretty good...
I have a RedBubble account and I really like it and think it is easy to use. It has quite a nice community if you join some of the groups and they have LOTS of groups. Here is a link to my site.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/renehales You can do cards, T-shirts and calendars as well as different sized images. Soon they will have books. Right now they have an agreement with Blurb for reduced shipping. They are trying to get to their own book services too. Not everything is perfect, but quite nice. I use my site in conjunction with pbase as my print fullfillment service.--Rene

madlights

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks Rene. I've been toying around with the idea...I think maybe your post will push me over the edge, and I'll actually take the time to do it.
And ac...I know what you mean definitely, I have a Terabyte and a half HD space, and I'm soon going to be running out of room and will have to get more. Yes 500mb isn't much space for big files. I've got a 4GB card and haven't quite filled it on a single day, but have come close...and my main camera which is four year old, only uses 12mb for each RAW file. Something would have to change on Pbase to be able to sell photos for sure.

halesr

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:06 am

JUst read where someone felt the printing costs at RedBubble are too high. I think the shipping is high, but I have just ordered enough to get free shipping in the past. I have not tested all of the products, which would be necessary to get a sense of the quality. I have purchased cards and some of the print types. Having a site there is FREE. It is just the printing that costs.--Rene

steve_sharp

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:57 pm

I can also vouch for the quality of Red Bubble, both as an innovative, lively and artistic site, but also for the quality of their printed products (the greetings cards in particular are fantastic quality).

Previous

Board index PBase Feature Requests sell photo option for pbase coming soon? (as promised)