Board index PBase Feature Requests Could "create at root level" default be NO?

Feature Requests

Could "create at root level" default be NO?

Request changes or modifications.
murraybowles

Could "create at root level" default be NO?

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:17 pm

as a profile option? I almost never want to create a new folder at root level, yet that is the default.

moderator: This has been enabled. Check this reply http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p=255550#p255550

djwixx

Re: Could "create at root level" default be NO?

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:41 am

Good suggestion - agreed.

bobfloyd

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:27 pm

Third.

sbbish

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Experience on PBase has taught me that the odds of this simple tweak actually getting done are very slim. Nonetheless, I'll add my vote to this request.

And I'll mark my calendar now to return to this thread in 2 years to make a second request to enable this feature.

Scott
(of the bitterly cynical regarding customer requests actually being addressed on this site)

djwixx

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:31 pm

sbbish wrote:Experience on PBase has taught me that the odds of this simple tweak actually getting done are very slim. Nonetheless, I'll add my vote to this request.

And I'll mark my calendar now to return to this thread in 2 years to make a second request to enable this feature.

Scott
(of the bitterly cynical regarding customer requests actually being addressed on this site)

Haven't you worked out that the feature request section is merely a mechanism for you to get it off your chest. Once you put it in writing you'll forget about it and so will everyone else :D

sbbish

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:50 pm

djwixx wrote:Haven't you worked out that the feature request section is merely a mechanism for you to get it off your chest. Once you put it in writing you'll forget about it and so will everyone else :D

It's a shame that same idea doesn't apply to the "Questions and Answers" forum. Then maybe the "Is PBase slow again?" thread would finally die. :wink:

isolaverde

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:47 am

murraybowles wrote:as a profile option? I almost never want to create a new folder at root level, yet that is the default.

Murray,

With 700+ galleries currently, I'll bet you'd find it really annoying if they were to change the default - surely clicking the checkbox comes automatically by now?

With tongue firmly in cheek,
Peter

sbbish

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:42 pm

isolaverde wrote:
murraybowles wrote:as a profile option? I almost never want to create a new folder at root level, yet that is the default.

Murray,

With 700+ galleries currently, I'll bet you'd find it really annoying if they were to change the default - surely clicking the checkbox comes automatically by now?

With tongue firmly in cheek,
Peter

Peter,

I think you just made Murray's point for him. With 728 galleries, Murray only has 5 at the root level. That's 723 times he had to click the checkbox as opposed to only 5 clicks if the default setting was reversed. Despite the 723 clicks, I doubt it is so ingrained that he won't be able to break the "habit" if the change were actually made. :wink:

Scott

murraybowles

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 pm

>With 700+ galleries currently, I'll bet you'd find it really annoying if they were to change the default - surely clicking the checkbox comes >automatically by now?

My suggestion was that you have an option in your profile to make the default be "NO", so that people who like the current default don't have to change anything.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Now wait just a minute here. It's not very fair counting only the clicks on the "at root" check box. You've got to also count the clicks to the edit account settings page and then the click on the word "options" on that page since that's where the setting will be I think and the click to disable "at root" defaulting. We're talking about 8 clicks assuming you start on your profile page which might be a little generous. So 8 or 9 clicks; not 5. There, now it's looking a little more even, don't you think? 8 or 9 to 700+. That ain't all that bad.

Nah, it's a good suggestion. I know I've created galleries at root when I meant to create a subgallery in the gallery I was already at the edit gallery page for. I'm for it. Umm...

Agreed.

NoOutlet

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 pm

I know this is annoying (I don't even like it), but slug created it this way for a reason. Sophisticated users will know enough to uncheck this option when they need to. Unsophisticated users don't usually create subgalleries, just new galleries at the root level. Thus, slug decided to make it easier for them and slightly harder for you and me. I'm working on a drag and drop image/gallery sequencing/editing/etc. page that will make this a moot point anyway.

Just realized I misread the first post, you wanted a profile option for whether this option is checked, I agree with that, let's see if I can add that quickly.

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:02 pm

http://www.pbase.com/account?view=options

Now there's an extra option that sets the default state of the 'create galleries at root' checkbox.

djwixx

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:11 pm

ckirby wrote:http://www.pbase.com/account?view=options

Now there's an extra option that sets the default state of the 'create galleries at root' checkbox.

Quick and simple - EXCELLENT. THANKS.

murraybowles

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Excellent, thank you!

shawnkraus

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Thank You Ckirby.

That is a fantastic addition!!!

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Could "create at root level" default be NO?