Board index PBase Feature Requests Why Is There No Ability To Edit Your Own Comments?????

Feature Requests

Why Is There No Ability To Edit Your Own Comments?????

Request changes or modifications.
camera0bug

Why Is There No Ability To Edit Your Own Comments?????

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:37 pm

C'mon Pbase, get with the program!

This seems like such a basic thing to institute, whereby when you leave a comment under someone else's photo
or gallery and make a mistake, you have the ability to go back and correct your errors.

Why oh why isn't this ability in there????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Especially when there's that rediculous lag time between hitting the send comment and it's actual posting which
occurs all the time.

What's so hard about putting an edit feature in the leave comment section for us?

Don't be afraid to be different than the pack.

akmc_in_au

Re: Why Is There No Ability To Edit Your Own Comments?????

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:18 pm

camera0bug wrote:C'mon Pbase, get with the program!

This seems like such a basic thing to institute, whereby when you leave a comment under someone else's photo
or gallery and make a mistake, you have the ability to go back and correct your errors.

Why oh why isn't this ability in there????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Especially when there's that rediculous lag time between hitting the send comment and it's actual posting which
occurs all the time.

What's so hard about putting an edit feature in the leave comment section for us?

PBase is completely "with the program" on this; the program being that gallery owners have the right to regulate their own galleries, including the comments that appear there.

When a comment appears, a gallery owner is likely to view it in the new comments list first. If they recall a comment and go to look for it 6 months later only to find that it has completely changed, possibly to something distasteful or offensive, this is not a good thing. Nor would the need to go through all of your comments regularly and make sure that no-one had changed them, especially for galleries that get hundreds of comments.

Comments in a gallery are like those that you might make in real life to a person's face; you don't get to go back a week later and say "No I didn't say x, I said y". Not unless you're a politician anyway.

Granted, the software could be modified to allow comments to be edited within, say, an hour of posting then be locked... but I can think of many, many improvements that would have a higher priority. Because if a comment isn't worth the moment or two that it takes to re-read it before hitting the "Submit" button, perhaps it's not worth making at all. Yes, anyone can make a typo or leave out a word which changes the comment's context. But if that happens, and it shouldn't often if that moment is taken, there's always the option of making a follow-up comment to clarify.

As far as the time lag goes, this is also at the discretion of the gallery owner. Some allow all comments to appear immediately. Some allow comments from other PBase members to appear immediately, while others have to be approved. And some require that ALL comments be approved. This is a defence against spammers and idiot stalkers who leave abusive or useless comments on a regular basis, and ensures that such "people" are talking to no-one but the "Delete" link.

pinemikey

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:25 pm

What I have done in situations like this is simply write another comment, correcting my (spelling or syntax) error and then PM, asking to delete the erroneous comment. Most people keep up with their received comments and it is a minor thing to delete the flawed comment.

waggonerphotos

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:24 am

Pinemikey: Practical suggestion to a common problem!
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

camera0bug

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:52 am

akmc_in_au wrote:As far as the time lag goes, this is also at the discretion of the gallery owner. Some allow all comments to appear immediately. Some allow comments from other PBase members to appear immediately, while others have to be approved. And some require that ALL comments be approved. This is a defence against spammers and idiot stalkers who leave abusive or useless comments on a regular basis, and ensures that such "people" are talking to no-one but the "Delete" link.

I was referring to the lag time that happens when you write a comment and then sit waiting for it to actually appear under a photo. At times, this is so slow that it seems that several minutes pass before messages get posted.

This happens with Pmail on occasion too and though some of that might be due to a slow connection via the web, I'm using a brand new cable modem.

As far as the ability to correct mistakes in commenting, when you post messages here in the forums, at least you have the ability to hit Preview before posting. Why isn't this simple option available in the comments section?

It could be easily added, just for Pbase members only.

akmc_in_au

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:48 pm

camera0bug wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:As far as the time lag goes, this is also at the discretion of the gallery owner. Some allow all comments to appear immediately. Some allow comments from other PBase members to appear immediately, while others have to be approved. And some require that ALL comments be approved. This is a defence against spammers and idiot stalkers who leave abusive or useless comments on a regular basis, and ensures that such "people" are talking to no-one but the "Delete" link.

I was referring to the lag time that happens when you write a comment and then sit waiting for it to actually appear under a photo. At times, this is so slow that it seems that several minutes pass before messages get posted.

This happens with Pmail on occasion too and though some of that might be due to a slow connection via the web, I'm using a brand new cable modem.

This must be another "Is PBase slow" issue, because I'd have to say that I've never once encountered any delay aside from those where the comments have to go for approval.

It may be another "some people get it, some don't" problem.

mardoli

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:28 am

pinemikey wrote:What I have done in situations like this is simply write another comment, correcting my (spelling or syntax) error and then PM, asking to delete the erroneous comment. Most people keep up with their received comments and it is a minor thing to delete the flawed comment.

It’s exactly what happens, sometimes people hit the button twice by mistakes, so their comment is repeated twice, then they can simply send a Pmail and ask to delete the copy or to delete a badly spelt comment, then they can write it again in correct version, if they like, but It seems logical to me that the gallery owner keep the control of the comments posted in their galleries.
I fully agree with Alan as well. I do think that we have to be responsible for our comments; there is not any sense in changing them later.
A very nice day (or night... for the Australians) to all
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

vincebelford

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Comments in a gallery are like those that you might make in real life to a person's face; you don't get to go back a week later and say "No I didn't say x, I said y". Not unless you're a politician anyway.

NOT BUYIN' IT! :D

In Flickr it's so easy to edit one's comments. NOBODY takes offense at an edit or thinks that a comment is carved in granite. If you make a typo or, on reading a quick comment, you realize you didn't say what you meant and need to change it presto! We should at least have the ability to delete and then resubmit a comment. Or like below Preview the comment,: What's the big deal???? :wink:

VB

PS

Even Abe Lincoln and WA Mozart got to revise their work!!!

sbbish

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:41 pm

vincebelford wrote:Even Abe Lincoln and WA Mozart got to revise their work!!!

Sorry, that analogy doesn't work. After Abe Lincoln gave his Gettysburg Address, he didn't get to revise it. He'd already said it. Too late to say something different. He had to proof his own work before he gave the speech.

Same with Mozart. After a symphony was performed in public, he couldn't change the notes of the performance that everyone had just heard. He made sure the notes were in the order he wanted before he let it go out to the public.

And once you've posted your comments publicly on PBase, they're out there. You can't change what you said. You are, however, free to post another comment that says, "What I meant to say was . . . ."

Scott

soenda

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:42 pm

sbbish wrote:
vincebelford wrote:Even Abe Lincoln and WA Mozart got to revise their work!!!

Sorry, that analogy doesn't work. After Abe Lincoln gave his Gettysburg Address, he didn't get to revise it. He'd already said it. Too late to say something different. He had to proof his own work before he gave the speech.

Same with Mozart. After a symphony was performed in public, he couldn't change the notes of the performance that everyone had just heard. He made sure the notes were in the order he wanted before he let it go out to the public.

And once you've posted your comments publicly on PBase, they're out there. You can't change what you said. You are, however, free to post another comment that says, "What I meant to say was . . . ."

Scott

Well, Scott, I'll have to disagree with you about Lincoln, although his approach would work here on Pbase. There were 5 drafts of the speech before its delivery. http://americaninstituteforhistory.org/AIHEpress/viewer.php?id=22

However, I'm with you on Mozart. His music generally sprang in finished form from his quill. ;^D

sbbish

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:52 pm

soenda wrote:Well, Scott, I'll have to disagree with you about Lincoln, although his approach would work here on Pbase. There were 5 drafts of the speech before its delivery. http://americaninstituteforhistory.org/AIHEpress/viewer.php?id=22

However, I'm with you on Mozart. His music generally sprang in finished form from his quill. ;^D

That's exactly my point. He had multiple drafts BEFORE ITS DELIVERY (he reviewed his comment before he posted it). But once he actually gave the speech (clicked the Post Comment button) then his speech was out there and couldn't be changed or taken back. The best he could do would have been to make another speech (post a second comment) and say, "This is what I really meant . . . ."

Scott

Board index PBase Feature Requests Why Is There No Ability To Edit Your Own Comments?????