Board index PBase Feature Requests Random photo display in slideshow

Feature Requests

Random photo display in slideshow

Request changes or modifications.
lardog

Random photo display in slideshow

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:38 am

I'm playing around with tryingto design a new home page with slideshow in my root gallery. One thing I noticed with slideshow is that everytime the page is loaded or refreshed, it begins again with the first image that exists in the gallery targeted with the slideshow function, then ticks through them in order.

I'm wondering if the slideshow can be set to diplay the photos in random order and if not, is this something you could think about implementing?

Thanks,
Larry

djwixx

Re: Random photo display in slideshow

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:58 pm

It would be a nice option. I have a slideshow of about 100 pictures on my homepage and I suspect it becomes a little old to the same viewer and a random option would give people an option to see different shots when they arrive each time.

In addition to this can there be an option to select which galleries or photos show up in the random photos in your profile?

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Just added random functionality for you guys.

Code: Select all
SLIDESHOW(<old paramaters>,random=yes)

This random parameter is optional and defaults to 'no' if it isn't provided.

lardog

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Sweet! Thanks ckirby.

Was that feature already there or did you just now add it? If so, that was FAST!! :D

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:46 pm

I added it after you asked :)

djwixx

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Excellent - THANK YOU.

Any chance the random image option in the profile can be set based on a set of shots or galleries.

ckirby - You're on a roll and my expectations are now higher :D

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Dave, I looked at the code and it's going to take some thought to figure out how to do what you want to do. Would you settle for a RANDOM() function that is implemented the same way SLIDESHOW() is? Parameters would be galleries and image ids and an image would be picked from among them at random. This would take some time to do, but it is a feature you could look forward to seeing.

PS: The current "role" I'm on is web programmer :P

rsbfotos

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:34 pm

ckirby wrote:Just added random functionality for you guys.

Code: Select all
SLIDESHOW(<old paramaters>,random=yes)

This random parameter is optional and defaults to 'no' if it isn't provided.

Much thanks ckirby -- it works great!
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

djwixx

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:43 pm

ckirby wrote:PS: The current "role" I'm on is web programmer :P

LOL - typo corrected :roll:

ckirby wrote:Dave, I looked at the code and it's going to take some thought to figure out how to do what you want to do. Would you settle for a RANDOM() function that is implemented the same way SLIDESHOW() is? Parameters would be galleries and image ids and an image would be picked from among them at random. This would take some time to do, but it is a feature you could look forward to seeing.

PS: The current "role" I'm on is web programmer :P

Whatever you think is workable and I don't expect the same speedy implementation :D
I suppose ultimately I should delete the pictures I consider crap so they won't be used, but somehow I just like the 'history' of shots I've built up on Pbase.

mwhabib

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Thank you. That's a great addition. :)
Marwan Habib

kleine

Re: Random photo display in slideshow - privacy issues

Post Tue May 03, 2011 2:46 pm

With regard to the random photo display on the profile page, PBase has actually been posting photos to my public profile page which are marked "private" (i.e. are in a password protected gallery or marked as non-public at the gallery level or the image level). This has been the case not only for galleries marked private but for the relevant sub-galleries which should also be private. Pbase has been working with me on this issue for about a week and has still been unable to solve it -- I still have photos of my family and children which are marked private appearing publicly on the web under my name. I urge you all to look into this issue if you care about privacy -- to see which randomly generated photos Pbase puts on your profile (which first requires logging out).

I have used Pbase for many years and am frankly stunned at how unhelpful they have been in solving this problem, and how unapologetic that my private images are splashed all over the internet.

wishland

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 am

Kleine, i have he same problem. i hope pbase can find solution to this private issue on the random pictures on the profile page..

charlie

Board index PBase Feature Requests Random photo display in slideshow