Board index PBase Feature Requests Viewing Originals Only

Feature Requests

Viewing Originals Only

Request changes or modifications.
gavinscrocker

Viewing Originals Only

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:07 am

Is there any way that I can have just the originals to be viewed? I find Small, Medium and Large greatly distort the images. Am I missing a check box somewhere? haha.

akmc_in_au

Re: Viewing Originals Only

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:41 am

gavinscrocker wrote:Is there any way that I can have just the originals to be viewed? I find Small, Medium and Large greatly distort the images. Am I missing a check box somewhere? haha.

Ah, if only. This has been discussed many times. The general (but not universal) view seems to be that the restriction of 800 pixels for the default - a.k.a. "large" - size (which was indeed large by the standards of monitors in, oh, say 1998) is too low, especially since as you've observed the reduced images are distorted. Oh, and because the first two image sizes are largely useless. (Has anyone, anywhere, used the medium or worse small sizes since 9600 bps modems went out of fashion? Dump those, and I wonder what effect it would have on PBase's performance. Each image is minuscule in itself, but multiply the number of images on PBase by the number of small and medium images generated...)

Conversely, forcing an Original size is a problem when it comes to people who do for some reason insist on putting up 3000 pixel wide images.

In short, no, you can't do that. You can only put a note in your galleries suggesting that people select the Original size, and make sure that you send the link to the Original image when you send someone a link to one of your photos. (For example, http://www.pbase.com/image/107020155/original rather than just http://www.pbase.com/image/107020155.)

gavinscrocker

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:18 pm

Well I certainly hope PBase.com revises its website so that Original is default since this has been discussed many times. PLEEEEEASE PBASE! HEAR OUR VOICES! haha

akmc_in_au

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:16 am

{Echo effect bouncing around an empty cavern...}

gavinscrocker wrote: PLEEEEEASE PBASE! HEAR OUR VOICES!

Voicessss....

Voicesss...

oicesss...

cesss....

ssss...

:lol:

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 pm

:x
Smalls are thumbnails for galleries and mediums are used for PBlogs. Personally, I don't think enough monitors are at the point where they can use mediums for thumbnails to warrant moving up a step. One suggestion that's more reasonable for the multitude of monitors out there is increasing the size of smalls to 200, mediums to 500 and larges to 1000. Of course, now we're not talking about lightening any load. We're talking about increasing the datasize and an AWFUL LOT of processing.

dang

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:41 am

nooutlet wrote::x
Smalls are thumbnails for galleries and mediums are used for PBlogs. Personally, I don't think enough monitors are at the point where they can use mediums for thumbnails to warrant moving up a step. One suggestion that's more reasonable for the multitude of monitors out there is increasing the size of smalls to 200, mediums to 500 and larges to 1000. Of course, now we're not talking about lightening any load. We're talking about increasing the datasize and an AWFUL LOT of processing.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but 800 pixels is plenty enough for my taste. Going larger only increases the chance of photos being printed by others. And since around 1/3rd of my viewers come from outside the US, medium default is better for slower connections.

photopropaganda

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:10 pm

I would like the option to choose yourself (or from a list or from own choice of size) with a default size of 800. Photographs I need to have protected, I put in password protected galleries or I put a digital watermark on it.

dang wrote:
nooutlet wrote::x

Maybe I'm in the minority, but 800 pixels is plenty enough for my taste. Going larger only increases the chance of photos being printed by others. And since around 1/3rd of my viewers come from outside the US, medium default is better for slower connections.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Viewing Originals Only