Board index PBase Feature Requests A challenge re right click/save as

Feature Requests

A challenge re right click/save as

Request changes or modifications.
sheila

A challenge re right click/save as

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:02 am

As this is a hot topic, I thought I would issue a challenge to those IT techies! While reading the thread on the disablement of right clicking, I thought I would see how my print site, RedBubble, copes with the ability to right click and generally nicking images! Here is the link to a particular image in my gallery http://sheilasmart.redbubble.com/works/ ... -the-storm

I was somewhat pleasantly surprised to find that while there is an ability to right click on images, for example, "Set as background", when doing so, all you get is a miniscule white dot on your desk top. Hmmm...now I thought I would try "Save as" ...hmmm...all I got was a white box called "clear". Even adding jpeg to the file did not work. This is using IE7 BTW.

OK. I am sure someone will find a way to copy an image but as most folk either right click or Save as, it does go some way to deter folk from "stealing" images from the Net.

Over to you!!

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

dang

Re: A challenge re right click/save as

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:26 am

:lol: Sorry it took so long to post it, didn't see your challenge until 6:20.
Removed... :wink:
Last edited by dang on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougj

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 am

Just found this thread. Since Tom grabbed the 'challenge photo', I nicked the second one in the gallery :mrgreen:

Edit: image removed
Last edited by dougj on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

alangrant

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:50 am

At first I thought this was the same method that SmugMug offers with their "pro" accounts, but actually it is far less sophisticated. For example simply viewing the source makes it obvious where the real image is, whereas Smugmug make it more difficult to identify for a casual user.

Incidentally I noticed in doing this with Google Chrome that when you view the source code, any URLs (including the one to the main image), are conveniently formatted as clickable links - you don't even have to copy and paste the URL to the browser address bar.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

sheila

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:13 pm

What a bunch of smartipants :lol: :lol: I guess there is no real way of protecting our images but at least it might deter folk not as smart you guys :wink:

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

dougj

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:12 pm

It's difficult to protect 100%, but disabling right click on PBase, and the technique RedBubble uses will stop a lot of the freeloading downloaders.

sbbish

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:08 pm

dougj wrote:It's difficult to protect 100%, but disabling right click on PBase, and the technique RedBubble uses will stop a lot of the freeloading downloaders.

Actually, it is impossible to protect 100%. If you can see it on your screen, it is possible to grab a copy of it. Period.

Scott

photopropaganda

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:02 pm

As you all know... :wink:
The only way to stop using your images, is to use a watermark in the image itself...question is if that really is what you want on a 'hey look at my images' site.

sheila

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:18 pm

photopropaganda wrote:As you all know... :wink:
The only way to stop using your images, is to use a watermark in the image itself...question is if that really is what you want on a 'hey look at my images' site.

Most, if not all, of my images on PBase are watermarked but that did not stop a Rumanian publisher taking an image of mine, removing the watermark and placing it on the front cover of one of their book titles :evil: After much negotiation, they settled on a nice figure! The images on RedBubble, of course, are not watermarked although "zoomed" views of images are. Through TinEye, I have found many images of mine, especially on blogs (which doesn't really bother me) where watermarks have been deliberately removed and some folk are passing off my work as theirs (which I do mind!!).

IT savvy folk like Alan, Doug and Tom find it soooo easy to prove me wrong :) but PBase adopting a more proactive approach to image theft would allay some of the fears of pros and serious amateurs.

Sheila
Sheila Smart

ac

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:16 pm

Sheila, people can steal images from the net. If they don't know, they learn. They just have to ask a friend !
You can post a very small image and a big watermark. But it is not what we want.
It is just good to tell the others about the thieves. They get hard comments on their blogs and sites, and they don't like it.

dang

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:28 pm

The nice thing about using a clear gif overlay is it still allows right click navigation. Plus, novice users probably won't be aware what they've taken until they leave the site. RCD also insults people when using right click navigation pops up a message assuming they're trying to steal, so an overlay is a more professional. But it's really no more effective in stopping image theft.

I'm far from savvy... and It doesn't take being a computer tech to do a screen shot, which of course, not much of anything is going to stop. I think Alan made good points, even the best protection can be gotten around. The more difficult the method, the quicker people write articles explaining it's flaws.

I think adding RCD was good for Pbase simply because so many people request it. But trying to improve on how it's accomplished isn't going to help it's effectiveness. If someone really wants a shot, they'll easily find a way. :wink:

dougj

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:18 am

It's good to renew the discussion so folks recently joining understand there really is no foolproof protection. As Sheila mentioned, most watermarks can be removed by someone skilled in Photoshop if they really want the photo, I've also seen this done in another forum as a demonstration. Personally, I don't use RCD and don't mind if my photos show up on forums & blogs, providing the OP doesn't claim them as their own work. At 800 pixels max on the longest side and < 200KB file size they'll print fair up to about 4" x 6", but that's it, can't stop all of the downloads unless photos are not posted on the web.

photopropaganda

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:34 pm

True,

Still some hard a** people will try to use your images. I had that problem once with an Italian travel agency, we worked it out :)
There is no guarantee that still people want to steal your images but it absolutely reduces the amount of who try, especially when you use the small watermarks all over your image. It's a bit the point, how far do you want to go with it to protect

sheila wrote:
photopropaganda wrote:As you all know... :wink:

Most, if not all, of my images on PBase are watermarked but that did not stop a Rumanian publisher taking an image of mine, removing the watermark and placing it on the front cover of one of their book titles :evil: After much negotiation, they settled on a nice figure! The images on RedBubble, of course, are not watermarked although "zoomed" views of images are. Through TinEye, I have found many images of mine, especially on blogs (which doesn't really bother me) where watermarks have been deliberately removed and some folk are passing off my work as theirs (which I do mind!!).

IT savvy folk like Alan, Doug and Tom find it soooo easy to prove me wrong :) but PBase adopting a more proactive approach to image theft would allay some of the fears of pros and serious amateurs.

Sheila

Board index PBase Feature Requests A challenge re right click/save as