Board index PBase Feature Requests The ability to store html pages in our accounts

Feature Requests

The ability to store html pages in our accounts

Request changes or modifications.
gerrydavid

The ability to store html pages in our accounts

Post Tue May 04, 2004 11:57 pm

I was just thinking it would be really nice to be able to store html pages in our accounts, that we can fully customize, instead of having to show all our pictures in the pbase layout.

I was thinking of being able to setup in our options that the index.html for our default directories *ie http://www.pbase.com/gerrydavid/* can be set to show a custom html page or the default pbase page, and then in a private directory we can store a bunch of html files so we can do all of our website stuff on pbase.

Since html files are just text files, this wont add much to the bandwidth or storage limits.

Have a good day, GerryDavid.
Gerry David. :0)

Fujifilm Finepix 3800, 3.2mp, 6X optical
Canon Rebel 2000/EOS 300 35mm SLR

http://www.pbase.com/gerrydavid/

miggy

Re: The ability to store html pages in our accounts

Post Wed May 05, 2004 12:04 pm

gerrydavid wrote:I was just thinking it would be really nice to be able to store html pages in our accounts, that we can fully customize, instead of having to show all our pictures in the pbase layout.

Hmmm, not sure if that's a good idea. You have to wonder, if it were allowed how much some people would abuse it. For instance, how long before people are linking to ads and such like (I know you can include html in the comments, but it keeps a control of things).

Also, how long before we start geting pop-ups telling us we've won a holiday, or a car, or a free trial to wetnwilling,com or some other trash?

I like the fact that PBase does exactly what it says on the tin, and then some. Anything else, really, should be done from dedicated web server space which, incidentally, you'd pay a ton more for to get a level of service similar to what we get here.

Just my twopennarth

mig

ukexpat

Post Wed May 05, 2004 2:32 pm

gerrydavid wrote:I was just thinking it would be really nice to be able to store html pages in our accounts, that we can fully customize, instead of having to show all our pictures in the pbase layout.

I was thinking of being able to setup in our options that the index.html for our default directories *ie http://www.pbase.com/gerrydavid/* can be set to show a custom html page or the default pbase page, and then in a private directory we can store a bunch of html files so we can do all of our website stuff on pbase.

Since html files are just text files, this wont add much to the bandwidth or storage limits.

Have a good day, GerryDavid.

We already have the ability to customize CSS sheets -- doesn't that do what you want?

gerrydavid

Post Mon May 10, 2004 5:36 am

miggy wrote:Hmmm, not sure if that's a good idea. You have to wonder, if it were allowed how much some people would abuse it. For instance, how long before people are linking to ads and such like (I know you can include html in the comments, but it keeps a control of things).

Also, how long before we start geting pop-ups telling us we've won a holiday, or a car, or a free trial to wetnwilling,com or some other trash?

I like the fact that PBase does exactly what it says on the tin, and then some. Anything else, really, should be done from dedicated web server space which, incidentally, you'd pay a ton more for to get a level of service similar to what we get here.

Just my twopennarth

mig

I dont mean to change how pbase is now, just the ability to add html pages. You would still have the ability to do the gallery view, but I want to do an ecommerce site for selling prints, which involves frames, contact pages, and custom layouts that woudlnt be effecient to do with css screens.

And whats wrong with putting banners/adds on our paid accounts? Assuming its not against the agreement for being a member, I dont remember it being in there, but I dont have an interest to do that anywase.

ukexpat wrote:
We already have the ability to customize CSS sheets -- doesn't that do what you want?

the css would do what I want but I dont know css, just html and a bit of javascript, and setting up a css page so that it blocks everything that pbase tries to show and show a custom screen would be alot of effort I would think. :0).

srijith

Post Mon May 10, 2004 1:20 pm

If I remember correctly, even though Pbase does not say it explicitly, ads are frowned upon. I am not sure if there is a policy in place that says no to ads, but the spirit is that.

As for HTML, why not host the pages on some free/paid HTML hosting accounts and link to them by plaing HTML links in the description portion of the image/gallery?

oochappan

Post Mon May 10, 2004 2:08 pm

would be a lot of effort I would think....

not so much effort ..... start by copying the css from the source and play around with it ... that's the challenge to make your personal expression ... you'll find out there are a lot of possibilities you see already ....

These limitations guarantee the serenity of pbase and its success, targeting photos and the fun to take them without competition ..... Commercializing this would mean the end for so many using pbase for fun ....

BTW what would be most rewarding financially: sheltering a few commercial sites for big money or supporting the fun of a lot for a few pennies ?

PS keywords are working, perfect for sightseeing the world or the work of a hobbyist ..... let's go

gerrydavid

Post Mon May 10, 2004 8:19 pm

srijith wrote:If I remember correctly, even though Pbase does not say it explicitly, ads are frowned upon. I am not sure if there is a policy in place that says no to ads, but the spirit is that.

As for HTML, why not host the pages on some free/paid HTML hosting accounts and link to them by plaing HTML links in the description portion of the image/gallery?

The problem with free hosting is there are usually banners or its very limited with storage and bandwidth, which woudlnt be a problem since its just html files, however, the one good free host that I know of, doesnt let you link the page to a domain name free, unless you buy the domain name from them, which is 3 times higher than what the going rates are, or more.

But I do have hosting with my isp, but it would be nice to have all the website content on one account, instead of spread out here and there. Also Im having trouble with my isp with uploading via a ftp program, for some reason it doesnt want to work with my isp, but im sure I can get that figured out.

Im just thinking it would be convienent to have it in one place like pbase since the pictures are already here.

oochappan wrote:
would be a lot of effort I would think....

not so much effort ..... start by copying the css from the source and play around with it ... that's the challenge to make your personal expression ... you'll find out there are a lot of possibilities you see already ....

These limitations guarantee the serenity of pbase and its success, targeting photos and the fun to take them without competition ..... Commercializing this would mean the end for so many using pbase for fun ....

BTW what would be most rewarding financially: sheltering a few commercial sites for big money or supporting the fun of a lot for a few pennies ?

PS keywords are working, perfect for sightseeing the world or the work of a hobbyist ..... let's go

I think your gettign the wrong idea here. I dont want to chang ethe way pbase works. The ability to view it the way it is now is still there. But there would be the option to add a 2nd demension to it, a "face plate" if you would, over the regular viewing page that lets the websurfer see a 2nd appearance to the site, a commercial face.

The ability to see the site the way it is now would still be there, the fun of it all would still e there, nothing would change.

Board index PBase Feature Requests The ability to store html pages in our accounts