Board index PBase Feature Requests C O M M U N I C A T I O N !!!!!

Feature Requests

C O M M U N I C A T I O N !!!!!

Request changes or modifications.
shawnkraus

C O M M U N I C A T I O N !!!!!

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:18 pm

What a great feature a bit of communication would be.

Does any one else agree????

shawnkraus

Re: C O M M U N I C A T I O N !!!!!

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Amusing to me that over 100 people have read this and none seem to be concerned with communication here at Pbase.

sbbish

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:51 pm

shawnkraus wrote:Amusing to me that over 100 people have read this and none seem to be concerned with communication here at Pbase.

Amusing to me that you have pulled all your photos off of PBase, publicly stated that you do not plan to renew your membership, and yet you still keep up with this stuff and try to stir things up by bumping old threads to the top or starting new threads like this one. If you're so dissatisfied with PBase, just leave already! :wink:

shawnkraus

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:25 pm

I paid my money so I assume I still have the right to voice my opinion until my time runs out.

I figure that since I still have a few days left here, I might as well share my thoughts about the customer communication here.

If you want I can jump on all the other bandwagons and complain about ...

The Speed
The Search Function
The User Interface
The Censorship
The Spam
The Lack Of Javascript
The Write Click Problem
The Red X Syndrome

As well as other issues if I dig deep enough.

Stick your head in the sand and pretend these problems don't exist if you like.

I will continue to voice my sentiments.

sbbish

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 pm

I never said you couldn't voice your opinion. Of course, you have every right.

I never said I had my head stuck in the sand.

I never said the problems didn't exist.

I just said I found you amusing. :)

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 pm

The Speed - I'm not sure if PBase is sure that it's the load balancer, but that's been identified as the most likely thing at one point awhile ago.

The Search Function - Generally, it doesn't work because searching and joining results of so many photos is too taxing of a function.

The User Interface - Although some people would argue that our current interface is preferable to a bunch of widgets all over the place, the overhaul will give some new interface options.

The Censorship - Which way would you argue this issue? Different users are on completely different sides of the fence... Some want PBase to censor all nudity and some want PBase to not censor at all(generally because they've been censored from the Recently Updated Galleries). The censorship that most complain about is regrettable for PBase. PBase doesn't WANT to censor things for the sake of censoring things. PBase censors things so that PBase isn't demonized and blacklisted on company and school networks. And it STILL does get blacklisted on some of them. It's kind of ridiculous in my opinion. I can find all sorts of inappropriate pictures with a non-Safe Search on Google's image search, but I bet the companies aren't blocking Google Images. It's unfortunate, but it's because our hand is forced by public opinion.

The Spam - The spam? Anonymous people posting spam comments? You can block them. What do you want there?

The Lack Of Javascript - Having JavaScript is a security issue. It's all well and good to complain that you can't put some interface objects on your page, but I think your complaints would be a lot more heated if the problem was that someone logged into your account and deleted all your images and galleries. What do you think?

The Write[sic] Click Problem - There is now a "right-click disable" option. This has basically been solved and if you want to try to go on about it, good luck. Also the function is still not very useful against people that know what they're doing on their computers. I would think someone stealing images for a profitable reason generally would know some basic tricks like screenshots.

The Red X Syndrome - In Safari, it's a blue question mark. Broken images probably mean that one of the image hosting servers has gone down. PBase would like to stop this from happening too. PBase would like to prevent thunderstorms from causing power outages, phr34k3rs from performing direct denial of service attacks, and all database problems. But things break down from time to time. They get fixed. By the way, if many of your thumbnails are broken, don't regenerate them over and over. It just taxes the thumbnail generator that much more and probably won't mean your thumbnail will be displayed. The function is for regenerating replacement images or badly converted thumbnails images, not resurrecting the machine that hosts them.

shawnkraus

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:52 pm

The Speed - I'm not sure if PBase is sure that it's the load balancer, but that's been identified as the most likely thing at one point awhile ago.

The Speed - Great it has been identified, what is being done about it?????

The Search Function - Generally, it doesn't work because searching and joining results of so many photos is too taxing of a function.

The Search Function - If it doesn't work, why is it still there?????

The User Interface - Although some people would argue that our current interface is preferable to a bunch of widgets all over the place, the overhaul will give some new interface options.

The User Interface - Is there some sort of expected date on this or is this like the option to sell images that kept me around another year last time I asked????

The Censorship - Which way would you argue this issue? Different users are on completely different sides of the fence... Some want PBase to censor all nudity and some want PBase to not censor at all(generally because they've been censored from the Recently Updated Galleries). The censorship that most complain about is regrettable for PBase. PBase doesn't WANT to censor things for the sake of censoring things. PBase censors things so that PBase isn't demonized and blacklisted on company and school networks. And it STILL does get blacklisted on some of them. It's kind of ridiculous in my opinion. I can find all sorts of inappropriate pictures with a non-Safe Search on Google's image search, but I bet the companies aren't blocking Google Images. It's unfortunate, but it's because our hand is forced by public opinion.

The Censorship - Either it is or isn't censored???? Which is it???? Who makes the final decision and why do galleries with nudity end up in the popular galleries if this is not allowed???

The Spam - The spam? Anonymous people posting spam comments? You can block them. What do you want there?

The Spam - People with trial accounts come into the forums and spam all the time, why not eliminate posting from trial accounts????

The Lack Of Javascript - Having JavaScript is a security issue. It's all well and good to complain that you can't put some interface objects on your page, but I think your complaints would be a lot more heated if the problem was that someone logged into your account and deleted all your images and galleries. What do you think?

The Lack Of Javascript - How is it that other image hosting sites are able to allow it without security risk????

The Write[sic] Click Problem - There is now a "right-click disable" option. This has basically been solved and if you want to try to go on about it, good luck. Also the function is still not very useful against people that know what they're doing on their computers. I would think someone stealing images for a profitable reason generally would know some basic tricks like screenshots.

The Write Click Problem - Great you have a "right click disable" option. Try running the slideshow feature on any gallery and then right clicking. I realize it is a silly function. Why not implement some sort of watermark feature like other sites as an OPTION.

The Red X Syndrome - In Safari, it's a blue question mark. Broken images probably mean that one of the image hosting servers has gone down. PBase would like to stop this from happening too. PBase would like to prevent thunderstorms from causing power outages, phr34k3rs from performing direct denial of service attacks, and all database problems. But things break down from time to time. They get fixed. By the way, if many of your thumbnails are broken, don't regenerate them over and over. It just taxes the thumbnail generator that much more and probably won't mean your thumbnail will be displayed. The function is for regenerating replacement images or badly converted thumbnails images, not resurrecting the machine that hosts them.

The Red X Syndrome - How do other sites get around these issues???? Maybe some sort of reliable backup????

Great to finally get some communication. The reason I originally posted here by the way.
Why not have an outside site to keep people informed when the system crashes or what is being worked on and when work is expected to be complete.
If it is not getting done on that time table a simple update with a delay message would make alot of people happy.

This will more than likely be my last post in this forum.

Good Luck Pbase

mbroam

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:58 am

nooutlet wrote:The Red X Syndrome - In Safari, it's a blue question mark. Broken images probably mean that one of the image hosting servers has gone down. PBase would like to stop this from happening too. PBase would like to prevent thunderstorms from causing power outages, phr34k3rs from performing direct denial of service attacks, and all database problems. But things break down from time to time. They get fixed. By the way, if many of your thumbnails are broken, don't regenerate them over and over. It just taxes the thumbnail generator that much more and probably won't mean your thumbnail will be displayed. The function is for regenerating replacement images or badly converted thumbnails images, not resurrecting the machine that hosts them.

I have to agree with the calls for communication on this one. I may not be the most frequent PBase user, but when I find the many of the pictures in my gallery broken, it would be nice to find a notice tacked up some wheres (the forums) sayin, "please bear with us, we are experiencing technical difficulties." or something to that effect. It might allay a measure of frustration.

that's just my .02 :P

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:56 am

shawnkraus wrote:The Speed - Great it has been identified, what is being done about it?????

I don't really know. That's not related to what I do at PBase.

shawnkraus wrote:The Search Function - If it doesn't work, why is it still there?????

It does work some of the time. When it doesn't it's because of the stress of searching and joining the search results.

shawnkraus wrote:The User Interface - Is there some sort of expected date on this or is this like the option to sell images that kept me around another year last time I asked????

When it's ready. That's a tough thing to estimate and when you're wrong people get annoyed and want an explanation which isn't usually easy to come up with. Because it's not necessarily a single problem or issue that's easy to point to and say "that is why we're late". Maybe we were never going to be able to meet whatever arbitrary deadline we give ourselves anyway.

shawnkraus wrote:The Censorship - Either it is or isn't censored???? Which is it???? Who makes the final decision and why do galleries with nudity end up in the popular galleries if this is not allowed???

Are you reading what I wrote? Maybe the communication is bottle-necked at both ends...
I'm not even sure what you mean by "it" for the first two questions which by the way have more than enough question marks. Either what is or isn't censored?
A person that has been flagged as an uploader of nudity won't get their uploads into the recently uploaded gallery. I think the way it works is that someone watching the recently updated galleries notices some nudity and reports that to PBase and PBase sets it so that photos of theirs don't go into the recently updated galleries. Galleries with nudity end up there because none of that is guaranteed to be happening instantaneously 24 hours a day. If some new account uploads nudity, we aren't going to know about it until it's seen or reported to have been seen in the recently updated galleries page.

shawnkraus wrote:The Spam - People with trial accounts come into the forums and spam all the time, why not eliminate posting from trial accounts????

I think you may be able to think up the answer to this one...
First of all, they do not come into the forums and spam "all the time". There's an average of maybe 1 per day. Not that big of a deal. And it's not like you have to click on it. I or other moderators delete these posts as soon as we see them, so there isn't much more we can do about it than that.
If we didn't allow trial accounts to post in the forums, they wouldn't be able to get any help on something which might be the deciding factor between them becoming a member or not.

shawnkraus wrote:The Lack Of Javascript - How is it that other image hosting sites are able to allow it without security risk????

You're assuming that they do allow it without security risk. Perhaps they allow it despite the security risk. Perhaps they don't allow it either. Who are we talking about? If they do, I don't know how.

shawnkraus wrote:The Write Click Problem - Great you have a "right click disable" option. Try running the slideshow feature on any gallery and then right clicking. I realize it is a silly function. Why not implement some sort of watermark feature like other sites as an OPTION.

So now you're thinking that people who can't figure out how to screen capture or view the source of the page or disable JavaScript in order to enable right-clicking(all three of which work EVERYWHERE - not just at PBase) will figure out that right-clicking still works in slideshow(PBase specific). I kind of doubt it, but it can probably be added to the slideshow function at some point. I don't know about a watermark feature. I think we would rather not mess with the photos with our software. It's probably best that people put watermarks on their own individual photos as necessary before uploading because they can integrate the watermark better with more options than we'll be able to provide via browser.

shawnkraus wrote:The Red X Syndrome - How do other sites get around these issues???? Maybe some sort of reliable backup????

We have reliable backup servers. Other sites DO have broken images on occasion. You've never been looking at a Facebook gallery and seen a small gray box which is actually the border of an image thumbnail without the thumbnail in the center? I have... I don't browse too many specifically photo-hosting sites, but I've seen it at plenty of the sites that I do browse which also host photos. Some of the larger ones likely have tons and tons of hardware with so much replication.

shawnkraus wrote:Great to finally get some communication. The reason I originally posted here by the way.
Why not have an outside site to keep people informed when the system crashes or what is being worked on and when work is expected to be complete.
If it is not getting done on that time table a simple update with a delay message would make alot of people happy.

Everything I said in that first post has been said before.
The system rarely crashes so bad that we couldn't have a message somewhere that people could find it without bookmarking a separate site. I think the philosophy is "working is better than talking about working". I have told people what I'm working on, but I'm not going to give timetables. There are too many variables. Any timetable is just a complete guess that has no basis in reality.

lucidity

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:33 am

Hi nooutlet,

Is an API in the works? It would be a really marvelous thing, and offer lots of third party tools to interface. Off the top of my head - a vista gadget to show your gallery, or a random top gallery; easier uploading from photo tools like lightroom; programs to manage galleries from the computer; integration with personal websites. As you probably know, parsing HTML is a pain especially since the you have to do one request for each photo, so an API would be rad.

moxfactor

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:25 pm

hi nooutlet. if someone at PBase does decide to do this watermark thing, please recognize my vote for optional. i don't want someone else's watermark messing with my photos. thx.

about the crash and communications, what was done this past week is good. that's about as i would expect from any website. just keeping your users informed on maximum 2 day basis is enough. it would be nice to see the News forum used occasionally though. like twice a month, just some random update of what's going on would be nice. it would make PBase not seem like it's at a standstill, which it seems to have been since the introduction of that mapping feature.

otherwise, the occasional slowdowns aren't distressing enough for myself or for my viewing audience to be a bother, and i have no problems with PBase. PBase stats are down, but StatCounter is doing a fine job for me so i'm good.

Board index PBase Feature Requests C O M M U N I C A T I O N !!!!!