Board index PBase Feature Requests Changing default "Large" size resolution for images

Feature Requests

Changing default "Large" size resolution for images

Request changes or modifications.
michaelsv

Changing default "Large" size resolution for images

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Since the resolution of majority of monitors these days are much higher then in the past I suggest change default (large) size of Pbase inages to 1024 pix instead of 800 pix.
Everyone knows that it's possible to upload such images today, but since most people view the images in default "large" sizes, images larger then 800 pix will be viewed after undergoing automatic PBase resizing. Unfortunately PBase resizing uses algorithm that leaves "Jugged" edges on angular lines. It' also of course possible to specify "/original" at the end of the gallery or image link, but many people outside PBase just getting view at "large" size and not always realize that there is option for larger and better presentation.
I also suggest propagate this on slide show sizes.

Michael.

pinemikey

Re: Changing default "Large" size resolution for images

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:17 am

I wholeheartedly agree. This topic has come up a number of times and I always felt that a majority of posters felt the change necessary. Although I still use a 17" laptop at home, my computer monitor at my previous job was a beautiful 24" Samsung monitor, which was not only excellent for work but very very good for imagery. That's when I first noticed that quite a few of my images seemed like postage stamps...where I have reduced their size to 800x600 over the years to save space. With the larger monitors I know visitors have, I've been uploading most of my images at 1024px for the last year and a half with the exception of verticals. It seems that with the wider and wider screens the vertical format will suffer from incompatibility with the general direction of screen size increase, even though that cool samsung monitor could pivot to show vertical images. Even though Pbase and a great majority of sites haven't moved out of the 800x600 display yet, I feel the change is inevitable.

madlights

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:12 am

Yep...agree

mmcculloch

Post Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:55 pm

Absolutely agree.

Alternatively/also: I would like to have the ability to disable all sizes except original, so that I know people will always see my photos as I intended them.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Changing default "Large" size resolution for images