Feature Requests

Direct Linking

Request changes or modifications.
arjunrc

Direct Linking

Post Thu May 13, 2004 8:58 pm

Hello,

'tis the season of asking for new features. So here goes:

While the folks here at pbase work on logging IP statistics et. al. for users who are continously worried about other sites direct linking their images, I had a thought for a possibly easy-to-do quick solution:

Would it be possible for pbase to allow each user an option of specifying only the domains which would be allowed to hot link ? For example, in my page, if I had (dpreview.com, pbase.com) then only hot-linkers from those sites would be able to link my messages. I assume this is possible since most/all browsers provide information about the URL they are coming from ? [I think this is correct, the html/web folks can comment]

Going ahead a tad bit, maybe two lists: an include list and an exclude list
(include=folks you want to specifically allow exclude=folks you want to specifically disallow. For example, allow direct-linking to all sites except moohaa.com)

Its not a complete solution, but at least it lets me restrict it to my known sites. If they are hot-linked within these sites, its easier for me to find as well. I think even this level of security would solve issues of most users. Ofcourse, if some rogue site decided to make a local copy and display it, then its not direct linking and there is nothing you can do.

It seems to be an easy enough solution to implement and is a great add-on for the tracker features planned (prevention+cure=more safety :-)

regds
arjun

srijith

Post Fri May 14, 2004 11:22 am

About a year ago I suggested something similar..
To get around this whole issue of illegal links,it would be nice if there was system in place wherein the album owner could specify the IP address or the domain name of the machine that can link to the albums.

Example: I link to my photos in pbase from my server srijith.net. So there should be a place in the account setting where I can specify that only request originating from srijith.net (or maybe the IP address, cos of virtual hosting issues) should be allowed direct link access.

This will give the user more control. Just knowing who is linking would not fully solve the problem, but I think this will.

arjunrc

Post Fri May 14, 2004 12:18 pm

Well, then we are bringing this idea back to life.
Hope slug notices and considers adding this feature.

As you correctly stated, it solves a lot of problems and seems simple to implement.

regds
arjun

hipolito

Post Mon May 17, 2004 2:00 pm

For me direct linking of photos is not working properly! Whenever I put a link to a photo hosted in PBase in another forum I only see a small red "X".

Any suggestion on how to overcome this?

srijith

Post Mon May 17, 2004 2:33 pm

when did you become a paid menber? I can see that you became a pbase member on 7 april, but when did you eventually pay up? If it was recently, maybe you may have to wait a couple of days so that the system catches up?

if not, can you post the exact URL you used to link to your images?

hipolito

Post Mon May 17, 2004 10:43 pm

It was not recently, I payed up in early April!

Here you have an example of link I tried to post in another site without success.

http://image.pbase.com/u45/hipolito/med ... G_0001.jpg

Thanks for your help.

hipolito

Post Mon May 17, 2004 11:24 pm

srijith

I just read your FAQs and they did help! I believe the problem is solved.

Thanks very much for your attention.

srijith

Post Tue May 18, 2004 7:42 am

hipolito wrote:srijith

I just read your FAQs and they did help! I believe the problem is solved.

Thanks very much for your attention.

Glad I could be of help..

matiasasun

Post Tue May 25, 2004 8:38 am

Totally agreed with Arjunrc... The Hot linking option should be provided by an "allowed" list that every user should administrate. So, if I understand you correctly Arjunrc, there should be an option for anybody to ask us if they can use one of our pictures (as a hot link).

This thing is quite important. I´m quite new in these forums and most of the themes are about rights protections and other pleoples abuse. If you think about that, it is a very important issue if this site wants to be the best possible site (wich it is, actually) :wink:

PD: In deed this option is "available" as Slug has explain it in http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=4177 "if you'd like direct linking disabled completely for your account, send an email to help@pbase.com and we'll set that. there's not a way yet for you to do this yourself. "
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

thresholdprod

Post Tue May 25, 2004 4:31 pm

I'll second that for the ability by gallery or image to hot/direct link.

Also a thought to kick around, How much extra work/hard is it to set up an option either globaly or by gallery to tell search bots to go away from the user control level.

ilanphoto

Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:33 pm

I am anxiously waiting for a way to find out who has linked to my picture (which picture has been linked too would be nice as well) but preventing somebody from linking to your picture is not the solution. If he wants to show your picture he will simply download it and upload it again that way he can claim it as his own while with the link feature we still have the control.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Direct Linking