Board index PBase Feature Requests Search for gallery title

Feature Requests

Search for gallery title

Request changes or modifications.
ashmills

Search for gallery title

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Is it not possible to search for gallery titles?

Does Google read Pbase gallery titles? If not, why not?

Thanks
AshMills

www.pbase.com/ashmills

akmc_in_au

Re: Search for gallery title

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 pm

ashmills wrote:Is it not possible to search for gallery titles?

Does Google read Pbase gallery titles? If not, why not?

It does... but your titles are fairly generic which means that they could easily be buried way, way down in the search results. For example if you do a Google search for the exact expression "Salisbury Cathedral" in Google you'll get about 184,000 matches. If you do such a search and limit it to the site PBase.com, you'll get only about 1300, but that's still a lot. In the Google .au results, your gallery will turn up at position 15 on the second page of results. (Your Google may vary; I've noticed that Google search engines in different countries return different rankings.)

If we pick a more unusual gallery name like "Music and Gigs", again limiting the search to PBase, Google returns 327 results of which yours is #3.

I'm not sure whether they are indexed in the PBase search engine (doesn't seem to be working at the moment) but I suspect that they are. Again, however, there are likely to be a lot of galleries with the same names.

alangrant

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Gallery titles are certainly indexed by Google, indeed they are normally used to generate the clickable link that appears in the Google search results.

If I search for "dragon of wantley gallery" on www.google.ie your gallery appears at #1 in the results - another example of what akmc_in_au mentioned, that very specific titles are likely to appear much higher in Google results.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

dougj

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:23 pm

In addition to gallery & photo titles, Google also indexes gallery descriptions, photo captions and comments posted by viewers when they are publicly visible. By adding StatCounter (free or paid version) to a PBase account, data is reported that shows the keywords people use to find galleries and photos. Another statistics add in is Google Analytics, this will report similar information. There are several threads/posts related to adding statistics counters, I think the help index also has a section on this.

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:08 pm

dougj wrote:There are several threads/posts related to adding statistics counters, I think the help index also has a section on this.

http://www.pbase.com/help/third_party_statistics&id=583

canon_boy

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:35 pm

google does not seem to work for me, is there something I need to switch on in pbase ?

Board index PBase Feature Requests Search for gallery title