Yes, It could be very helpful
78%
No, It wont be right
22%

Total votes : 23

matiasasun

Get visitors IP

Post Wed May 26, 2004 11:41 pm

Since a few days I´ve been in contact with a lot of users that have problems with their pages:

a) People "stealing" their images to use them without the right permissión given (mostly in Hot Link mode)

b) People who have annoying guest that bomb their comments and guestbook with disturbing messages.

I was wondering if it was possible to get the IP number of the visitors or other information that could "disuade" them from keeping that kind of behavior.

So, I´m interest in answer to that question and comments about ways to solve those problems... (besides the watermark in the uploaded pictures and disabling the option to comment, wich is worst and means "surrender")

I don´t want to disturb nobody privacity, I just want to defend what belong to us (and the quality of the service we are using) 8)
Last edited by matiasasun on Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

thresholdprod

Post Thu May 27, 2004 4:07 am

to log all vistors will be very intensive for the system load. It might be better if it was tied to just comments

kodack

Re: Get visitors IP

Post Thu May 27, 2004 3:56 pm

Pbase can watermark photos for us? how

matiasasun wrote:Since a few days I´ve been in contact with a lot of users that have problems with their pages:

a) People "stealing" their images to use them without the right permissión given (mostly in Hot Link mode)

b) People who have anoying guest that bomb their comments and guestbook with disturbing messages.

I was wondering if it was possible to get the IP number of the visitors or other information that could "disuade" them from keeping that kind of behavior.

So, I´m interest in answer to that question and comments about ways to solve those problems... (besides the watermark in the uploaded pictures and disabling the option to comment, wich is worst and means "surrender")

I don´t want to disturb nobody privacity, I just want to defend what belong to us (and the quality of the service we are using) 8)

srijith

Post Thu May 27, 2004 5:22 pm

thresholdprod wrote:to log all vistors will be very intensive for the system load. It might be better if it was tied to just comments

Maybe not all visitors, but comments (as you said) and direct links. I am sure ths system can handle that! :)

thresholdprod

Post Thu May 27, 2004 7:27 pm

I've wondered how hard(resources) it would be to give an option of having a copyright notice stamped on the images when they are uplaoded. Not sure its that good of idea. It would help people out that are skilled with graphic programs. Discuss?

srijith

Post Fri May 28, 2004 6:51 am

thresholdprod wrote:I've wondered how hard(resources) it would be to give an option of having a copyright notice stamped on the images when they are uplaoded. Not sure its that good of idea. It would help people out that are skilled with graphic programs. Discuss?

Yes indeed, No. 12 of the Frequently Asked Feature Requests list. Sometimes I wonder whether slug and co. even looks at that list.. :(

But yes, maybe we can discuss these ideas here so that the pbase team can pick at the least one of the doable ones.

ralf

ImageEvent logs IPs

Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:10 pm

The ImageEvent statistics page shows the time and IP of the last album visit and last view of each image in the album, so it's certainly doable.

Unfortunately, the ImageEvent implementation has been buggy, frequently resetting counts on individual images or even entire galleries, usually when there are lots of visits in a short period of time. Recently, it even stuck what was clearly the IP address into the hit-count fields of two images, which caused the server-side Java code to crash on trying to display the statistics page....

srijith

Re: ImageEvent logs IPs

Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:09 pm

ralf wrote:The ImageEvent statistics page shows the time and IP of the last album visit and last view of each image in the album, so it's certainly doable.

Unfortunately, the ImageEvent implementation has been buggy, frequently resetting counts on individual images or even entire galleries, usually when there are lots of visits in a short period of time. Recently, it even stuck what was clearly the IP address into the hit-count fields of two images, which caused the server-side Java code to crash on trying to display the statistics page....

Are you really talkingg about the pbase system? :)

matiasasun

Re: ImageEvent logs IPs

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:26 pm

vhansen

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:41 pm

It seems like requests do get attention eventually.
Maybe there's a reason why his handle is "slug".

enigmawmn

Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:18 pm

Last edited by enigmawmn on Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matiasasun

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:28 am

enigmawmn wrote:You need to make another photo with a "PLEASE CHANGE THE ANNOYING LOCK PICTURE ON THE PW-PROTECTED GALLERIES" :-D

But You seem to have solve that problem. Your gallery named "ELLE" has two subgalleries wich the horrendous lock thumb, but in the main screen (your page in deed) there is a nice picture of ¿you? dressing up. So, password protected galleries but no lock thumb. It is not the perfect solution but it is working. Thanks for the idea.
That´s why I´ll concentrate myself in the "IP Campaign"...

enigmawmn

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:40 am

matiasasun wrote:But You seem to have solve that problem.

That won't work, because I'd want the option of the displayed photo for all of the locked subgalleries as well.

matiasasun

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:09 am

enigmawmn wrote:That won't work, because I'd want the option of the displayed photo for all of the locked subgalleries as well.

Maybe I´m missing something but why don´t you create sub-sub-sub galleries. It´s kind of confusing but as I understood that´s a way to keep a personalized thumb; making two galleries instead of just one for each Password protected. As I said, it is far from perfection but it works doesn´t? (if not please tel me so)

Maybe this picture could clarified my point (hopefully):
http://www.pbase.com/image/30015050.jpg

Anyway, Slug write you on May 10th:

slug wrote:we'll probably make that a configurable option (personalized thumb) so you can use any image.
-slug

We are far from our main discussion. Sorry.

enigmawmn

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:36 pm

Inconvenient.

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Get visitors IP