Board index PBase Feature Requests Lack of new features forces me elsewhere...

Feature Requests

Lack of new features forces me elsewhere...

Request changes or modifications.
kstuebin

I don't understand..

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:42 am

I have been here for almost a year I am happy to say that I have never come across a need for this feature.

There was a period - I think it was around January - when it was down for several days. No message was posted for days. No one knew what was going on. I don't know how you missed that.

Since then it's been down for shorter periods of time, usually just a few hours. You can tell if you post on any of the photography forums. You'll see the subject line "Is Pbase down?" popping up. It's the only way to find out if it's a problem with your computer or the site since Pbase doesn't let you know.

Anyway, that's not even a serious issue with me even though most major sites never go down except for a few minutes and when they do you get a page telling you they're down.

The other suggestions here are really valid ones. I'd still be happy with Pbase though without them although they'd be nice. I would just find another site that had them and use it as well and wait for Pbase to gradually add them. And then if Pbase didn't implement them, gradually make the transition to the other site. Most long time users have a lot of time invested in their galleries and a lot of visitors who look for them here so you can't just abruptly switch over.

The new search engine's dysfunctionality is critical as well. To add a new feature that doesn't work doesn't make sense. Why didn't they wait until it was functional before adding it. I didn't have a problem with the old search engine. Some people did because it never updated. Not only does the new one not update, it only searches the titles for the keywords you enter. I'm sure they're working on it. I hope so anyway. I have no way of knowing since they never answer my emails. I hope they at least read them so they're aware of the issue.

The lack of customer service is probably my pet peeve. There's nothing more irritating than sending numerous emails and being totally ignored. Responding to users concerns and questions is just a basic part of any internet site.

I'd hate to have a serious problem with my galleries and have to try to get help.

I know I may sound overly critical of Pbase but I'm really satisfied overall with it. And I understand it's only three people running a huge database that has exploded in popularity. I think they do need to start adding more people to their staff at this point in time to help a good site become a great one.

And I wish SOMEONE would answer my emails.

ilanphoto

Re: Really??

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:44 am

joesimages wrote:
ilanphoto wrote:
kstuebin wrote:
In addition, I have another feature to add. When the site is down, why can't a message be posted stating that it's temporarily down with a timeframe for when it will back online. It speaks volumes about the site that I even have to suggest such a feature.

I have been here for almost a year I am happy to say that I have never come across a need for this feature.

Because you've never noticed that the site was down? or because if it is down it wouldn't be helpful?

Because I have never noticed the site down
I really think this is the main feature we could have all our dreams come true but if the site crashes they are not worth much so let Slug et al keep the site stable and implement changes slowly as not to risk the uptime
Ilan

joesimages

Re: Really??

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:11 pm

ilanphoto wrote:
joesimages wrote:
ilanphoto wrote:
kstuebin wrote:
In addition, I have another feature to add. When the site is down, why can't a message be posted stating that it's temporarily down with a timeframe for when it will back online. It speaks volumes about the site that I even have to suggest such a feature.

Because you've never noticed that the site was down? or because if it is down it wouldn't be helpful?

Because I have never noticed the site down
I really think this is the main feature we could have all our dreams come true but if the site crashes they are not worth much so let Slug et al keep the site stable and implement changes slowly as not to risk the uptime
Ilan

I'm not sure how adding a feature to "reorder your images in your galleries" would cause any additional downtime. :?

kstuebin

What does cause the downtime?

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:23 pm

I'm not sure how adding a feature to "reorder your images in your galleries" would cause any additional downtime

I can see where he's coming from since we really don't know why Pbase goes down. Maybe it is when they are working on the programming.

At any rate, I still say being able to communicate with the administrators of the site is more important in the overall scheme of things.

Say, you logged on one day and half your photos were missing. And you had a thousand of them so it's not like you could figure out which ones to upload again. And there might be a way to recover them from a back up server - they do have a back up server, right?

If my experience is common, and I don't know that it is, you would spend weeks emailing Pbase and receiving no answer.

And it's the only mode of communication. There is no phone number.

All I'm saying is the people running the site are too busy to respond to emails. They probably get hundreds a day. If they miss one day reading them, how can they ever catch up? I'm assuming this is what happened with mine. They need to hire one or more people dedicated to just customer service.

So the bottom line is your galleries are essentially at the mercy of people who can't even communicate with you. If all your photos disappeared tomorrow (and mine might if I keep beating this dead horse :) what would you do?

srijith

Re: What does cause the downtime?

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:10 am

kstuebin wrote:I can see where he's coming from since we really don't know why Pbase goes down. Maybe it is when they are working on the programming.

The last time there was a big downtime (hmm.. when was it? some long time ago) it was because their primary and backup hard disks crashed and the replacement had some problems too. Once in a while they have couple of minutes/ hrs of downtime when a hardware upgrade does not go as well as planned and one of their load balancing servers starts acting up.

As you and several others have repeatedly pointed out, proper communication is indeed a big issue at Pbase and I really hope slug/emily can do something about this soon.

ilanphoto

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:09 am

The last outage I know of was in August 2003 just before I became a paid member :D

joesimages

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:16 pm

ilanphoto wrote:The last outage I know of was in August 2003 just before I became a paid member :D

What about today?

keiththomson

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:13 pm

What happened today?? Ive been looking at pbase on and off all day (though I shouldnt let my boss hear that ;) ) I havent noticed any problems at all?

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.pbase.com

kstuebin

I've been able to get on..

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:16 pm

But I have noticed it's running very slow which usually precedes an outage. Sometimes they only last minutes so not everyone is aware of them.

I'm happy. Got all my stuff uploaded albeit it slowly. So if it crashes now I'm OK. :)

srijith

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:21 am

joesimages wrote:
What about today?

What about it?

joesimages

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:23 pm

srijith wrote:
joesimages wrote:
What about today?

What about it?

It was down for a little bit. A few reports on dpreview confirmed it was happening to others as well.

Previous

Board index PBase Feature Requests Lack of new features forces me elsewhere...