Board index PBase Feature Requests Default Sizes

Feature Requests

Default Sizes

Request changes or modifications.
dtburkett

Default Sizes

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Maybe this suggestion is already buried in here somewhere but I think it's time to increase the default sizes. With the resolution of the typical monitor these days 800x is starting to look pretty small.
I would suggest the following:
Large = 1024x or 1200x
Medium = 800X or 1024x
Small = 600X or 800X

eldata

Re: Default Sizes

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:09 pm

dtburkett wrote:Maybe this suggestion is already buried in here somewhere but I think it's time to increase the default sizes. With the resolution of the typical monitor these days 800x is starting to look pretty small.
Large = 1024x or 1200x
Medium = 800X or 1024x
Small = 600X or 800X

I agree with large being the default size isn't cutting it anymore. In fact, for some time now I have been resizing my images before uploading so that the original size is actually my preferred default size. Now if only we could set the default image size to original somewhere instead of having to tell users to choose that size or link to the original in the case of individual images.

dct

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 am

I also agree slightly with the larger size should be increased. But the small and medium one should be kept to the same factor as it is now, in my opinion. There are situations where I like to page thru large galleries in "small" or "medium" format just to have a glance at the image and read the details below.

bosskwok

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:00 pm

I have a 10.1 netbook and find that large at 800 is too big and medium at 400 is too big a reduction.
Can pbase do a medium say at 640 or 5 reduction sizes or do a fit to screen size.

michaelsv

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:51 pm

dtburkett wrote:Maybe this suggestion is already buried in here somewhere but I think it's time to increase the default sizes. With the resolution of the typical monitor these days 800x is starting to look pretty small.
Large = 1024x or 1200x
Medium = 800X or 1024x
Small = 600X or 800X

I agree.

I have requested this feature more than a year ago. That's in my mind should be quite an easy change.
Do not have to be retroactive for old images or it can be whatever easier to implement.
Just from particular moment the default size would be let say 1024 for newly uploaded landscape oriented images side and 800 for portrait.

800 x 600 seems very small even on 21" monitors, leave alone 24"

PBase,

Please make this happen

Thanks.

cmunoz

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:08 pm

I too am a bit frustrated with the current default size situation, partly due to actual sizes available and more importantly the quality between the different sizes. I feel the default size of large could be a little bigger and since most DSLRs have a sensor size ratio of 3 to 2, I think multiples of that should be incorporated into the different viewing sizes, ie. 600x400 for medium, and 900x600 for large. Small can be 200x133. If Pbase is going to maintain its current 800 pixel size limit for large, I think that there should be an account setting for members to set default size that loads up when guests visit. Some users might want the medium size to show by default, others might want large, and still others might want the original size to show by default.

A more important issue that needs to be address is the difference in quality between the large default size and a larger original size that is uploaded to PBase. An impressive feature of rival SmugMug is that the quality of an image that is displayed, even though it is smaller than the ‘original’ size that is uploaded, is very high. There is very little difference between in qualitly of the images of different sizes. The same CANNOT be said for PBase. If I upload a 900x600 image, the quality of the image degrades when it is automatically resized to the default resolution size of 800x533. The default ‘large’image is noticeably more blurry compared to the original. To me that has always been an irritant. I think it is absolutely silly that I and many other users have to post on our galleries to tell visitors that “ ‘original’ size provides the best viewing image(or words to that effect),” when we upload images even just a bit larger than the 800 pixel limit.. That makes Pbase look a bit ‘unprofessional’ and makes it less user friendly for visitors who aren’t photographers and don’t have accounts with PBase. PBase wants to be ‘THE’ photographic website I presume. As a photographer I want to show the BEST possible images to whomever might visit my galleries, even if they have to reduce the image size to view them on a smaller display such as a laptop. PBase does not show the best possible image, IMHO.

Currently on SmugMug, if someone uploads a rather large image (let’s say 3600x2400) it gives 7 different sizes to view- the original and 6 other sizes. Each of the other sized images is high quality, meaning they show a lot of detail. If PBase could show a total of 5 sizes of equal quality to those on SmugMug, that would be what I expect. Having the ability for each user to set the default size that visitors see is also what I expect from ‘The’ Photographers’ website. I choose to display my images on PBase, I have to get more serious about how my images look to people whom I ask to visit. Most of them will not be fellow PBasers.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 pm

We are reading everybody's concerns and keeping them in mind. While the changes mentioned are simple in concept, implementation is always far more complex and takes more time than you would think. Thank you for your input. It gives us a clear idea of what changes you would like. We will be working on solutions to these issues.

Thanks,
Emily

mccartney

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:22 pm

I would definately prefer that this is left as is. I upload images resized to 800x600 and then view as "original"
This fills the IE8 browser window for a vertically formatted shot and a horizontal shots fills about half of the screen from side to side on my 24 inch screen.
My monitor is set to the manufactures recommended max resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels.
Barry McCartney Photography - http://www.pbase.com/mccartney

piet01

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:07 pm

I strongly agree the request!

cliff0108

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Although a long time user of Pbase I have taken to uploading recent images to SmugMug where they can be displayed in near full frame.
I much prefer Pbase's intuity but wish they could increase their format size. I appreciate this would compromise the 'comments' somewhat but I'm sure there would be a work-around.

rsbfotos

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:16 am

mccartney's comment +1
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

asianodyssey

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 am

cmunoz's comment + 1.

I too have noticed that if you upload an image which is greater than 800 in resolution, and then view it in 'large' (i.e. downsized to 800) the picture somehow loses it's sharpness and 'pop'. It is annoying and I haven't noticed this on other sites such as Smugmug or Flickr.
I have been resizing my uploads to PBase to no more than 800 because of this.
If the sharpness could be maintained when viewing at the lower sized image options I would upload larger images.

Now that High Definition is becoming the norm even on tablets and smartphones it would make sense to increase the default ('Large') size from 800 to at least 1024 or, better, expand the number of image size options.

michelfleury

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:48 am

It seems a lot of people have been requesting a change in default sizes since 2010. I can understand it takes time to implement these changes but it's been several years now and still nothing. Is it still being worked on ?
I know most people who are not pbase users don't even notice there are viewing sizes available so they view at a maximum of 800 X 800 or less and that's why a lot of us purposely resize our images to fit this ridiculously small size (by today's standards). Visitors can't be bothered to click the original size option since they don't even know it's there. Either let the photographers choose the default sizes they want their pictures to be viewed at or if this would be to complex to implement, set the large size to something more decent like 1024 X 1024. Please make these changes happen in 2014. Thank you.

wietsej

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:00 am

My new surface has a resolution of 2160x1440. If I upload my pictures in that resolution it is good for you, because need more space on your server. I can't do it now. If I then look my pictures on a 1920x1200 screen I can only see a part of the picture or the whole picture very small.

kevin_ve

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 pm

This "large" image size is becoming a real deal breaker to me. The viewing experience is extremely sub-optimum on a 30 inch screen, or any reasonable resolution screen for that matter.
In an ideal world, the user / viewer should be able to define the resolution to fit their screen. A compromise would be to at least provide a few higher res choices. I will now begin my search for alternative photo sharing sites... K

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Default Sizes