Board index PBase Feature Requests UTF-8 Character set in HTML

Feature Requests

UTF-8 Character set in HTML

Request changes or modifications.
ssinyagin

UTF-8 Character set in HTML

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:04 pm

Hi,

It would be great to have a gallery property that sets the character encoding for generated HTML.

As a minimum workaround, it would be nice just to force all HTML into UTF-8 encoding.

Why we need this:

1. International characters always properly displayed
2. User comments always entered in a uniform encoding.

We're about to consider to create a new user community for pictures from a famous Russian cartoon studio. Historicaly there are 3 different Cyrillic encodings in addition to Unicode. With the HTML output as it is now, people will start posting their comments in all various possible encodings, and that will be a mess.

Thanks,
Stanislav

hongcho

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:15 pm

I totally agree. Although the PBase server is located and operated within the U.S., a lot of culturally diverse people are using this wonderful service.

I also have a problem with some of the comments not showing up correctly. It would be great if there is a way, per-gallery perhaps, to specify the character set encoding.

Actually UTF-8 would be fine since it includes almost all the languages.

Hong.

kaapiovuohi

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:05 am

I see this problem has been occurring for a long time... anyone have _any_ idea of the chances of it being fixed?

conceptfury

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:37 pm

bump...
I agree the charset encoding should either be selectable or atleast forced UTF-8 instead of en-us...

ocean7

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:09 pm

YES. We definitely need this. Anyone listening out there? That shouldn't be so hard to implement (web developper speaking here).

piotrstankiewicz

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:26 am

I want Polish and French national characters! ;) (both at the same page)

So for me every solution which will allow to do that, would be warmly welcomed!!!

:)

wacow

Re: UTF-8 Character set in HTML

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:24 am

I also hope this(UTF-8 Character set in HTML) can be implemented into my gallery.
Everytime I "Edit root gallery", all the gallery's title are abnormal;
*all the text are "Big-5" format in my page, Tranditional Chinese text(Taiwan).

So, if PBase can use UTF-8 char set then all problem will be solved.

Or any other way to fix this, plz tell me.
Thanks.

conceptfury

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:51 pm

bump...

There is a question I want to ask is that are there any webmaster or any staff related to this issue actually reads this?

This thread has been started since 2004, and it is now 2007. This is by far the simpliest feature to implement yet it is being neglected. This feature would really help a lot of users which uses a language other than the western char set, and I am sure there are a big enough number of us non-western pbase users out there for this to really be of concern and priority. Even if not, isnt it still a good thing to have to have a standard uniform char-set across the website and as well as its database?

I'd very much personally like this feature over any fancy ones which is being cooked up.

Anyway just a thought...

reiniernl

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:01 pm

I am very much with the initial poster. Given the diversity of the PBase-users, their photos and web browsers, specifying the character-set enconding is a necessity. I am surprised too that such a simple to add feature still has not been added yet.
Best regards,

Reinier

jhting

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:30 am

I have used an ASCII based text entry called "universal character encoding" to get around this problem.

You just need to find a software program that properly translates your language into the codes.

I've used it with Chinese characters in this gallery (http://www.pbase.com/jhting/tw07) and displays properly even in the default Western character set.

felixhhh

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Thank's jhting. My problem is solved. What I have done is just simply change the browser's encoding to Western(ISO-8859-1) before typing Chinese character.

ihor

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:36 pm

То Правдо що СтаніÑ

benleung

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Oh.......someone already requested for UTF-8 character set before....

Although Western(ISO-8859-1) can display non-English letters, but I still prefer UTF-8.

Wish that PBase could use UTF-8 as default character set. Please.

Board index PBase Feature Requests UTF-8 Character set in HTML