Board index PBase Feature Requests lifetime membership or "executor" account holder ?

Feature Requests

lifetime membership or "executor" account holder ?

Request changes or modifications.
tomsmithvaniz

lifetime membership or "executor" account holder ?

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:36 pm

I can't see anything about creating a "lifetime" or "forever" account... I have lots of family photos on here which my family wouldn't know where to find if I were to kick the bucket. Hell, I wouldn't know how to find half of them !

So it would be good if we could either create a "forever" account, or put in a couple e-mail adresses for family members who ciould request to access account settings and keep account paid up - if they so wish. They would just log in wiht their e-mail adress and see the status of the account. Be nice if we could configure the account settings as to how much modification they could do in our absence...

philinnz

Re: lifetime membership or "executor" account holder ?

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:32 am

nice idea, I like it

dw_thomas

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:06 pm

It is an interesting and attractive idea. After the last month or three, I find myself wondering if "lifetime" might end with the expiration of PBase rather than me! :shock: Things are not at all confidence inspiring here lately.

I have been building up an archive of sorts in my galleries that I once hoped to flesh out with scans of slides and negatives from the 1960s and onward (and possibly try to have maintained beyond my existence). I have some stuff up, but have not been adding to it all that quickly -- other than current stuff as it happens. I've lately begun to wonder if my slide scanning time would be better invested in a gallery creation on my own webspace or elsewhere. I do wish this outfit would get its act together.

DaveT

wm25burke

Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:31 am

Bump that! Good idea.

akmc_in_au

Post Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:26 pm

I think that "forever" takes optimism to new limits. Nothing is forever, and in the digital world you can multiply that by a factor of n. You only need to look back to the 1990's and the companies who were "big players" back in the day, but whose whose content has evaporated into the digital ether along with the companies themselves. PBase is not now and was not then some huge corporation with deep pockets; it's a couple of people who are mortal and yes, they may sell the business when they want to retire, but expecting the site to still be here for your great grandchildren? It's not impossible but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

That said, unlike some sites PBase doesn't seem to pull down the photos of dormant or defunct accounts. I still have a couple who have unfortunately passed on in my favourites. That makes it a heck of a lot closer to a "forever" account than sites which start sending out "PAY US OR WE'LL DELETE YOUR IMAGES! PAY US! PAY US! PAY US NOW!!!" e-mails every couple of days from the minute your payment expires until they do delete your images. (Hi SmugMug!)

As far as an executor account goes, that's not a PBase thing, that's down to each individual. Passing on your logins and passwords (to all of your content, not just PBase) is something that should really be done as part of estate planning. It's an issue that has been around for a while now: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/your- ... ml?mcubz=3

If you make provision for your executor to be able to access your online accounts, they can handle continuing (or discontinuing) accounts like the PBase one without PBase needing to include secondary e-mail account access.

candsrr

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Just noticed this - In Memoriam Flickr Accounts
https://flickr.kustomer.help/in-memoria ... -HJA_AcTL4

Board index PBase Feature Requests lifetime membership or "executor" account holder ?